Time to upgrade maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tszpara

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
06512
Currently have a Uniden 397T. Still works but would like to listen to towns I no longer seem to pick up.
I know the State police requires a different scanner.
Not sure about other towns.
Currently in East Haven, CT. Would like to listen to Branford, CT and West Haven, CT.
Previously someone recommended uniden bcd325p2 scanner. Is that still my best choice?
 

scannersnstuff

Active Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
239
Currently have a Uniden 397T. Still works but would like to listen to towns I no longer seem to pick up.
I know the State police requires a different scanner.
Not sure about other towns.
Currently in East Haven, CT. Would like to listen to Branford, CT and West Haven, CT.
Previously someone recommended uniden bcd325p2 scanner. Is that still my best choice?
If you have the financial resources, get a sds100. This especially applies if you want to monitor simulcast trunking. With that being said, the bcd325p2 is a capable scanner. Some argue that the sds100 is not as good on conventional frequencies as some other Uniden's. PS- Caveat - I do not own a sds100. I do have a bcd325p2 and a bcd436hp. I still wish that they had made a bc396xt with phase II decode. That was the sweetest scanner,for many reason's.
 

tszpara

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
06512
If you have the financial resources, get a sds100. This especially applies if you want to monitor simulcast trunking. With that being said, the bcd325p2 is a capable scanner. Some argue that the sds100 is not as good on conventional frequencies as some other Uniden's. PS- Caveat - I do not own a sds100. I do have a bcd325p2 and a bcd436hp. I still wish that they had made a bc396xt with phase II decode. That was the sweetest scanner,for many reason's.
Thanks will check it out.
Amazon also recommended the bcd436hp. I may consider that one as well.
 

KK4JUG

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
4,689
Reaction score
3,481
Location
GA
With all those recommendations, simulcast may be the last criteria. I don't know whether it's a problem now but things change. Furthermore, if you travel, I can almost guarantee you'll encounter it. The SDS series will allow you to monitor just about everything you're entitled to.
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2021
Messages
2,433
Reaction score
2,873
Location
Washington State
With all those recommendations, simulcast may be the last criteria. I don't know whether it's a problem now but things change. Furthermore, if you travel, I can almost guarantee you'll encounter it. The SDS series will allow you to monitor just about everything you're entitled to.

Yes, things do change. It would really suck to spend hundreds on a scanner today, only to have it not do what you need tomorrow. I'm also a believer in "extra growing room", meaning that it's better to get a scanner that you will grow into, than one you'll grow out of and then have to shell out even more money to get what you need or want.
 

captainmax1

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
697
Reaction score
189
Location
Florida Keys
I also want to recommend the SDS series scanners. If you are going to travel, you are definitely going to run into simulcast. Any other scanner can be completely deaf in a high simulcast area.
 

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
12,188
Reaction score
4,571
Location
Dallas, TX
Currently have a Uniden 397T. Still works but would like to listen to towns I no longer seem to pick up.
I know the State police requires a different scanner.
Not sure about other towns.
Currently in East Haven, CT. Would like to listen to Branford, CT and West Haven, CT.
Previously someone recommended uniden bcd325p2 scanner. Is that still my best choice?
Thanks will check it out.
Amazon also recommended the bcd436hp. I may consider that one as well.
For your specific county, most of the cities, as well as the county, are using conventional frequencies, not trunked trunked systems. However, that may change.

With all those recommendations, simulcast may be the last criteria. I don't know whether it's a problem now but things change. Furthermore, if you travel, I can almost guarantee you'll encounter it. The SDS series will allow you to monitor just about everything you're entitled to.
I agree with this. If you travel to, or through, most any of the larger metro areas in just about every state, you will run into simulcast problems.

Your statewide system, CLMRN, has a number of simulcast sites,, including in your county. The county's database page indicates that Oxford (in New Haven County) is using the state's system. The site in New Haven county, for Troop I, is specifically listed as Simulcast.
Each of the blue icons represent a sub-site (transmit tower for the simulcast).
1660356237737.png

As long as your specific cities of interest keep using conventional channels, the 325P2 or 436HP would handle them. But, should they upgrade & move over to the state's system, then those bets are off. Simulcast can be extremely location specific. When scanning from home, you may be able to use a directional antenna, among other things, to receive the signals. However, if you are out & about, mobile at various places in the county, simulcast can make your reception garbled, or even receive nothing at all. While the SDS100 (or it's base/mobile sibling, the SDS200) are not needed for the time being, ifone or more of the citoes do move to the state system, the SDS series scanners are the ones designed to deal with the issue.

More on Simulcast in the Wiki.
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
 

tszpara

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
06512
although a little more than I wanted to spend looks like I'll have to get the SDS. I had no clue about the simulcast until I read the link above. Thanks for the info.
I rarely travel with the scanner as I found it distracting while driving but if I visit friends out of the area it could become useful.
 

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,242
Reaction score
393
Location
Fortunately, GA
Are you using the antenna that came with the radio?? If so, you will have a hard time trying to receive distant signals.
No need to get a SDS 100. Too much radio for your listening needs. Your current 396T will work. If you wish to upgrade, get a 396XT. Is a handheld what you want, or can you use a base/mobile?
A 996P2 would work also.
Don't be pushed to purchase something that will be hard to understand and use.
Please consider what I've posted.
 
Joined
Aug 12, 2021
Messages
2,433
Reaction score
2,873
Location
Washington State
although a little more than I wanted to spend looks like I'll have to get the SDS. I had no clue about the simulcast until I read the link above. Thanks for the info.
I rarely travel with the scanner as I found it distracting while driving but if I visit friends out of the area it could become useful.

Funny thing about the SDS radio it's super easy to get scanning out-of-the-box as shown in this unboxing and setup video, but it has so many other cool features and options that you'll have the fun of learning new things for quite some time. Honestly, I've had mine for a while now when I have time to play, still discover stuff behind all those menus.
 

scannersnstuff

Active Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
1,982
Reaction score
239
Are you using the antenna that came with the radio?? If so, you will have a hard time trying to receive distant signals.
No need to get a SDS 100. Too much radio for your listening needs. Your current 396T will work. If you wish to upgrade, get a 396XT. Is a handheld what you want, or can you use a base/mobile?
A 996P2 would work also.
Don't be pushed to purchase something that will be hard to understand and use.
Please consider what I've posted.
With all due respect, the 396xt is still not a phase II compliant scanner.
 

KK4JUG

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
4,689
Reaction score
3,481
Location
GA
Are you using the antenna that came with the radio?? If so, you will have a hard time trying to receive distant signals.
No need to get a SDS 100. Too much radio for your listening needs. Your current 396T will work. If you wish to upgrade, get a 396XT. Is a handheld what you want, or can you use a base/mobile?
A 996P2 would work also.
Don't be pushed to purchase something that will be hard to understand and use.
Please consider what I've posted.
Apparently, he has an abundance of simulcast. Only one of the SDS radios will work.
 

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,242
Reaction score
393
Location
Fortunately, GA
Apparently, he has an abundance of simulcast. Only one of the SDS radios will work.

No, he has an abundance of conventional frequencies. The majority of monitoring is in that area.
The SDS isn't going to get him distance to hear other cities in his county.
Only monitoring that is Phase II is the statewide system.

I'm just trying to be the voice of reason in this thread. Period. If the OP wants to spend the dollare, it's his choice.
 

tszpara

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
14
Reaction score
6
Location
06512
Are you using the antenna that came with the radio?? If so, you will have a hard time trying to receive distant signals.
No need to get a SDS 100. Too much radio for your listening needs. Your current 396T will work. If you wish to upgrade, get a 396XT. Is a handheld what you want, or can you use a base/mobile?
A 996P2 would work also.
Don't be pushed to purchase something that will be hard to understand and use.
Please consider what I've posted.
Prefer a handheld. Any recommendations for a portable replacement antenna? (I may do that while saving to upgrade)
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,470
Reaction score
3,152
Location
Port Charlotte FL
my county moved from 800 analog simulcast, which i could hear quite well.
they went to 700 digital phase 2, but most are still on phase 1.
i had a 396T and 396XT and with their move i bought a 325P2 as i wanted portability also.
the radio does a pretty good job everywhere! .....except at my house,
go for the SDS ones.
 

Cheeseburgers

Active Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2018
Messages
644
Reaction score
308
I dunno I've been messing around with SDRTrunk and if you mainly sit in one spot to listen... for under 50 bucks you could be up and running listening..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top