timed out waiting for header

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all i just bought the usb cable and have win 97 software looking to backup my radio using this program but getting error message timed out waiting for header anyone know how to do this thanks all

Bucko

The only problem that had when I first used the usb cable was that the usb used com port 4 instead of com port 1 like my old serial port cable did. You might check in the computer management for what ports your usb cable is using.

Bucko

I figure you already checked the configuration in Win 97? The cable that I am using my self is the Rad Shack USB Cable and works like a charm with WIN 97 & Win 96.

amusement

usnasa said:
hello all i just bought the usb cable and have win 97 software looking to backup my radio using this program but getting error message timed out waiting for header anyone know how to do this thanks all

"header timeout" means no communication between the serial USB cable and the PC/MAC.

Please verify that no other "port" device is active on channel 4. Ports 1 and 2 are your PC has two serial ports in the back of the case. I use port 3 because it's not used by another device.

If you examine the device manager under windows you should see the category "ports".
Please double check to make sure your serial USB cable is using port 4.

If the software is setup to use port 4 then all should be OK.
Else, switch the port to channel 3 in both the software setup and windows device manager.

If the two prevous steps fail then please verify your PC's USB port is working. You can swap USB ports
to troubleshoot if you get this far.

Good luck!

usnasa

thanks but it still the same thing waiting for header it is on com port 4 , when i tried it using different software such as the scancat demo it said reading bank 1 i dont see any thing happening on the scanner display should i see something ?
but i do see on my use cable the txd and rxd are flashing and it says on the scancat software reading bank 1 then it says problems with banlk 1 any ideas and thanks

Chris0381

I use com port 3 so try all the ports. For some reason the com port disappears in device manager when I remove the cable. So plug in the cable and then check device manager to see what com ports are available. I just did a fresh XP install and for some reason one of my USB ports is faulty probably needs a driver but anyway I have 3 usbs assigned when the cable is plugged in and the cable is the highest port.

Did you use the driver disk ?

usnasa

thank you very much but i got the cable to work on my pro 2055 radio for some reason it wont work on my pro 2051 dont know why does anyone know how to program the pro 2055 using the software and this site thanks

OkRob

From reading your posts, it's hard to tell which software you are using. One post mentions that you have Win97, but another says you're using software that came with your cable. You should post which software you are using and whether or not you have it and your radio communicating with each other, and then we'll try to help you further after that.

Also, there are multiple posts in this forum and the software forum about using most of the software out there, so searching in them should get you lots of help without waiting for answers here. :)

Anyway, post specifically what you're using and we'll try to help get you going.

- Rob

usnasa

i have both win 97 and scan cat the software that was was refering to was for the usb cable sorry the drivers lol the cable does not work with my pro 2051 but i got it to work on my pro 2055 so its not the cable thanks alot

KE5BCP

Analog Man
You are using the "Conversion cable (mono-mono)" when you try to program the Pro-2051, and NOT using it when trying to program the Pro-2055, correct?

dougjgray

from reading the reviews on radio shacks web site alot of people are having trouble with the usb cable and the 2051, maybe you should look for updated drivers somewere

Status
Not open for further replies.