• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2170 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
Ok I have 8 TK-2170 radios that a customer traded in.

I am attempting to program them with KPG-101D v2.4 which I believe is the latest and correct software for these radios.

I am getting the dreaded check com ports and connections message. I am using two different cables a serial and the usb one on an old XP machine. With the serial cable I can get the radio to read up to 5 blocks before it craps. Nothing on the USB cable. I am able to see the radio in test mode.

Yes I am using the cheap Kawamall cables (I know, save your comments). I have the OEM cable on order.

Does anyone know any com port tweaks or what mine should be set at to get them to work?

This occurs on all eight radios, and I have been fooling with the connection/accessory jack on the side by applying pressure and trying to hold it in securely, no love.

Any ideas to try?

Raptor05121

Did you set com settings in the software to the right ports?

I'm not sure of the difference, but I'm showing KPG-101DK as the correct software for 2170s

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
Are you telling me that kpg-101d and kpg-101dk are two different offerings?

The radios I have are TK-2170-K

Av8tor56

101D is For the 2170K. Have you tried to just write to them? Just throw a blank codeplug at them and see what happens. I've found that sometimes works if the radio is being stubborn and you don't need to save the codeplug.

dj25705

You may not have a problem with the cable or software, but with the speaker mic jack inside the radios. If you have any contact cleaner, try spraying some in each of the jack and then work the programming cable in and out a few times. If that does not work, you make need to replace the speaker mic jacks. I have seen this from time to time.

jaymez99

Something else to try is pulling up on the cable. On my 2170, i have to pull the cable up and toward the antenna. This seems to make the necessary contact to transmit and receive data on my radio, since the jacks are so worn out.

Marco192

Hi guys ... sorry to bring this topic up, but I have the exactly the same problem when trying to program my TK2170.
My basic question is: when the software says "check all connections and com port settings" does that eliminate the possibility of wrong software version? (test mode works)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.