• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2180 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to program a TK-2180. When I try to read the radio I get an error message that says to check all connections and COM settings. The connections seem ok. I checked the COM port as best I could. The radio said PROGRAM on the display. I've used this cable several times without issue.

Any thoughts?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What does tools, trans. info. say?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Please check all connections and COM port settings

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it may be in a data mode, power off and as you power up, click read. The com port 0 will revert to normal for 2 to 4 seconds before it becomes an active data port. Let me know.

I do want to ask, you're using kpg-89?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Same response...yes, kpg89d

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If you say your kpg36 cable is good on another radio, then I'm inclined to say open it up, water damage possible, or some form of corrosion on the inside.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 cables, and I received the same message with both cables

I have had them not make tight connections with the cable. Hold the cable tight against the radio, even with it screwed in. Then try to read the radio. Also the connector on the radio could be dirty. use a pencil eraser and go over the connector a few time to clean the contacts.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
What should the port settings be? I've used the cable with other Kenwood portables, varying models.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
All of my new ones are baud rate 57600 data 8 bits parity NONE stop bits 1 flow control NONE
These setting work for my NX5300, my TK2180, my TK280, plus my TK780, my TK880, and my TK7180.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I'll give that a shot.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I've tried the posted suggestions and still getting the same error message. Is there a setting on the radio itself?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Let's go back to the first post, when did you get this radio, new used, eBay, is it a passport radio, we need more info, if ebay, sorry, it's 89 % chance lemon or busted.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
The radio is a colleague 's radio issues to him from his agency, so it was probably purchased from our local Kenwood vendor.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Copy, needs to go in for repair. Just don't let in on you trying to program it, for his sake.

cmdrwill

The radio is a colleague 's radio issues to him from his agency, so it was probably purchased from our local Kenwood vendor.

So, programming and other changes would be frowned upon. The "Agency" is the only one that should be 'programming' the radio.

And the radio may be locked so not just anyone can "program" it.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
So, programming and other changes would be frowned upon. The "Agency" is the only one that should be 'programming' the radio.

And the radio may be locked so not just anyone can "program" it.
I've done other radios that belong to this agency. I'm wondering if the radio vendor started locking the radios so they have to go back to him for programming, if that's possible.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I think there's something else wrong, otherwise a prompt for password will kick up if it was read write protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.