• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-760h audio clipping

I've got a strange issue with a TK-760. With a normal speaking voice the audio seems to cut out randomly. For example, if I transmit and count to 4 three times the audio cuts out so that all that is transmitted is "1..2..3..4,..2..3..4,..3..4". It almost sounds like when a music CD is scratched and skips

However if I yell into the mic or practically shove it into my mouth and talk into it the transmit audio is fine.

Any ideas what would cause this? I've already ruled out antenna and microphone.

dryfb

Doesn't sound like a priority scan issue, do you by chance have the compander turned on for either radio?

There's no compander enabled on the radio. I can see the deviation settings on the test mode in the programming software but without a service monitor it seems like there's no way of knowing if its set right or not so I haven't touched it.

I should also note that the RX audio is great. It's just the TX audio gets choppy unless I've got my mouth directly against the mic and speak in a loud voice.

I know it's an old radio but it was a perfect fit for a cubby hole in my truck's dashboard.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
without a service monitor it seems like there's no way of knowing if its set right or not so I haven't touched it.

Good plan. Avoid the temptation.

I should also note that the RX audio is great. It's just the TX audio gets choppy unless I've got my mouth directly against the mic and speak in a loud voice.

I know it's an old radio but it was a perfect fit for a cubby hole in my truck's dashboard.

three options:

1. Don't mess with it and deal with the short comings.

2. Take it to a shop and have them adjust it. Might have a challenge finding a shop that would have the software. An alignment might fix the issue. Or, it may be components drifting and starting to fail. It's a gamble with these old radios.

3. They are old radios and not very expensive. Sell that one as a "tech special" (explain the issue) and get a few bucks back, or keep it for parts. Spin the wheel again and see if the next one works better.

Good plan. Avoid the temptation.

three options:

1. Don't mess with it and deal with the short comings.

2. Take it to a shop and have them adjust it. Might have a challenge finding a shop that would have the software. An alignment might fix the issue. Or, it may be components drifting and starting to fail. It's a gamble with these old radios.

3. They are old radios and not very expensive. Sell that one as a "tech special" (explain the issue) and get a few bucks back, or keep it for parts. Spin the wheel again and see if the next one works better.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Usually if I have something that has issues I can't fix I'll put it on eBay as parts or tech special. I'm going to try some more basic troubleshooting, like double checking antenna, etc. and go from there.

As often as I run across deals on older commercial gear I really do need to invest in the gear for tuning them.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, could this be a programming issue of narrow vs wide? Receiving radio set for wide (25kHz) and transmitting radio set for narrow (12.5kHz) could cause this issue. But yea, other than that, sounds like it needs some bench time with proper equipment.

wd8chl

Could be as simple a bad microphone, or a bad jack. Wiggle the cord around a bunch, especially at each end. Then try another mic.

tlemke940

Feed Provider
Could be as simple a bad microphone, or a bad jack. Wiggle the cord around a bunch, especially at each end. Then try another mic.
I was about to say the same thing. due to the age of the radio and probably the mic i am thinking the cable went bad i see that all the time and is normally the first thing i check when someone says there audio is chopping on TX. hopefully it is a 8 pin mic and not the old wide band only radio with the 6 pin mic. if it is the wide band only 6pin i would suggest going on eBay and looking for an updated one with the 8 pin mic if you wanted to stay with that model or updating to a newer radio. if it is an 8 pin it is an easy mic to find.

wd8chl

I was about to say the same thing. due to the age of the radio and probably the mic i am thinking the cable went bad i see that all the time and is normally the first thing i check when someone says there audio is chopping on TX. hopefully it is a 8 pin mic and not the old wide band only radio with the 6 pin mic. if it is the wide band only 6pin i would suggest going on eBay and looking for an updated one with the 8 pin mic if you wanted to stay with that model or updating to a newer radio. if it is an 8 pin it is an easy mic to find.

Yeah, if it's a normal 760, it's the 6-pin. Nothing wrong with them, but they are getting a bit harder to find. And no, you can't convert it. Someone might make an adapter cable/plug, or you could get adventurous and make one...

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
If this was an EFJ 8700 I'd say bang the mic on the dash and loosen up the carbon.