• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8150 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
So I just picked up a pair of TK-8150 with remote heads from auction because the are 45W Type 95 certified and the right price. This is my first Kenwood radio, and I'm just starting to figure out prigramming. The software KPG-79D v1.01 came in today and I sat down to look it over. I figured out my primary use (GMRS) pretty quickly on the conventional side. Cable comes tomorrow, so I can't grab the base configuration yet, but I figured I would look at the software right away.

1) I see there is some version of trunking capability. I understand basic concepts but not enough to understand how to program it. For the heck of it, I was going to toss the local university's NXDN system in a separate zone just to listen. Is this possible, or is it a different version/type than it is capable?

2) If it's possible, how do I program this system on the radio? University of Akron Trunking System, various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks,

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The TK-X150's are analog only radios so you would not be able to use it for any digital transmissions which includes NXDN.

The trunking format is LTR which is analog. Gotta remember this model is well on it's way to being ancient.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
The TK-X150's are analog only radios so you would not be able to use it for any digital transmissions which includes NXDN.

The trunking format is LTR which is analog. Gotta remember this model is well on it's way to being ancient.

Thanks for the quick reply.

This unit's sole purpose is for GMRS, everything else is just a bonus.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that's an analog radio and is not going to receive and NXDN system.

Even if it was an NXDN radio, it's still not going to work. The packets sent by a NexEdge trunked system are tagged and an NXDN capable radio will not decode them, even if you put the individual trunk channels in as conventional NXDN.
You also would not be able to fake it, the radio requires a programming key, and that key will be a closely guarded secret by the system administrator.
The trunked system can also be set up to not allow any radio to register with the system unless its ESN is in the system. They can go as far as requiring the ESN and the Radio ID to match up.

Just don't want anyone to buy an NXDN radio thinking they can eavesdrop on a NexEdge system. Kenwood did a pretty good job securing them.

As for the TK-8150, good choice for GMRS. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. If you decide to get your amateur radio license down the road, you can program 70 centimeter frequencies into them.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have another question, making sure I didn't make a stupid mistake programming.

I installed the radio this evening. Pins 5 & 6 are jumpered (how i got it from the PD). I tested on a known repeater close by, I key up for a second, let go, and get a response back, but I can't hear anything. Is there something in the programming I need to check to have it use the internal front facing speaker in the remote head?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Nevermind, it was a mechanical issue. One of the wires in the remote cable came out of the connector and didn't make contact with the pin. Inserted it into the connector and I'm in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.