• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8180

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTilman

Hey guys,

I'm trying to program police radios for my agency and i have downloaded the kpg-89d software to my computer. My chief had bought a used radio that looks like it was from detroit from the naming of the stations. But to my question. I can not read my transceiver with this program. Can someone help me please. And yes this is my first time doing anything with radio's like this. It is a kenwood tk 8180 by the way if that makes any difference.

DTilman

Hey cmjones,
I know this software should work because there was someone at my department that did program a radio with it. Don't know how it worked if this software is supposed to be for European models. If you have any suggestions on what I could do I would greatly appreciate it.

PS I know this sounds kinda snarky but that's not my intention. Just not sure how to word it to not sound snarky sorry

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Well what happens when you try to read the radio. Do you get any kind of error message? What kind of cable set up are you using (USB or serial)?

DTilman

I get a check com port settings or cable connection. What they gave me was a double ended port connection. Same type of connection on both ends of I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about. I did get a USB cable but haven't been able to try it out yet.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. The normal program cable has a plug that fits into the mic jack and the other end would be USB or it's older a 9 pin serial connector.

If the cable you're using is the same on both ends, where are you plugging it it into? The accessory connector on the back of the radio and a serial port of the computer? It can be done this way also.

First you need set the correct com port that the ccomputer uses for that cable in the software. You can locate the com port in the device manager in windows. If you're lazy like me, in the program software setup menu you can click on com port. You may see several active. Try each one until you find one that works.

DTilman

The cable plugs into the mic Jack and I had a port on the computer it was fitting into. Maybe that was my problem. When I open up the com port settings I only have one option so I don't believe it is that. Lol. I will try the cable that I bought for it with a USB plug on it. I appreciate all your guy's help. If the new cable doesn't work I'll holler at you guys again.

Thanks

Dtilman

Status
Not open for further replies.