• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-880 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program 880's for work. All of the radios are password protected and the general rule of thumb is that the year of installation was the password. However, I have came accross a couple that this is not the case. It could very well have been a typing error when the passwords were set (201 instread of 2010). Does anyone know a work around for this?

The radio tech that use to work on everything is no longer in the area. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

code3cowboy

You can do a bit of bit banging and work around the write password, but the passcode is frequently a portion of the serial number, a date of programming, or the badge number of the programmer. The easiest is to call the old comm tech and ask him. Alternately you can blast the new program into each of the radios with the modified software.

Luis_R

You should be able to reprogram the radio with new codeplug even tho you don't have the password.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to reprogram the radio with new codeplug even tho you don't have the password.

It worked!! I couldnt imagine that it could be that simple to "wipe out" a pass coded radio.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

Bob

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
never understood why kenwood did that, you have a radio with a password, but you can write a new codeplug right over it and bam it works, i thought passwords were to protect the radio and it programming. Not your radio of course, but if you had a stolen radio and wrote a new codeplug over it, who would know. not like may people are forced to take a radio out of there console or cabnets and show s/n's haha

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
TK-880 Password

My understanding as to why Kenwood did this was to protect the sometimes "sensitive" information loaded onto the radio. Say someone would steal a police radio. Yes you can re-write over the current codeplug but at least you can't get the police departments frequencies and PL/DPL tones to cause trouble with the system. I agree that it lacks thought but I guess they had their reasons. Just my 2 cents worth again!!

Ambdrvr

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
i can see that too, but who are we just the people that use them, lol just like moto only 16 in a scan list. haha, when you have a county like mine who has 11-13 repeaters active most of the time, hard to have them all and your mutialaid freqs in scan

Status
Not open for further replies.