• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK3300 Programming Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

avguy

I just purchased a TK3300 on eBay to use at work.
We inherited 6 units from another part of the company already programmed, however nobody knows what the frequencies are.
(licenses are kept in the corporate office several states away)

From reading the manual it seems like I can make it "talk" when in programming mode.

Will a unit tell me how it is currently programmed in this manner or do I have to buy software and cable to read an already programmed unit?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If the radio is set up for it, you can use the wireless clone mode to copy on a per channel basis.

avguy

I just got the unit and charged it overnight.
When I turn it on all I get is a solid tone and flashing orange and red light.
None of the programming functions seem to work either.
The serial number tag looks a little odd to me.

101_0577.jpg

Did I just buy a really good fake, or does it just need to be "re-flashed"?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
This is one of those cross-over radios. What I mean is between a bubble pack job and a real business type radio.

They come default loaded with business band freqs and give you (the user) the ability to change those freqs by picking from a list.

With the programming software you can put in ANY freq within the band limits, and also disable the self program and clone feature. By what you describe, someone has already gone in and blanked the channels and disabled the self program mode.

Your only chance is to get it hooked up to a computer running KPG-120D software to get it back to the way the instruction book says it should be.

avguy

I just purchased two more and am adding them to my rental inventory.

I'm going to purchase the software, but I'm not sure one thing.
Can it (CD) be used on more than one computer, or must I have a dedicated machine?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You can use the original CD and license key to install the FPU on any number of computers. I have never read a license agreement from Kenwood to see the real legal wording, but I've looked on the CD and none is to be found. Does anyone know if it's on the dealer site?

avguy

I'm up and running.
The software is pretty straight forward and Wiscomm makes finding their cable drivers easy.
(if you discount the finding the com port name)

The only question that remains is will TK3300's without ProTalk talk to ones that do have it?
(If DT/DQT are the same and scrambling is off)

avguy

I now have three identical units (TK33004UP) the weird part is that one thinks it's not a ProTalk.
It will accept any frequency in the range with the programming software.

All the serial and model numbers are the same but it seems to have a different (newer) version of firmware than the other two.

Is firmware available to the public?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Again, the TK-3300 is a cross-over radio. Outta the box, it can be programmed by the user playing three card monte with the buttons and using the pre-programmed frequencies. When you hook up the radio to the actual programming software, you can disable this function, but you can also program any frequency and QT/DQT within the bandsplit that you desire including those provided by user button programming. Firmware has nothing to do with this...

Last edited:

avguy

I have the software.
( KPG -120D version 1.13)

With two of the units I am forced to select frequencies from drop down boxes.
The third lets me enter anything into a blank box.
Enabling or disabling the self program option changes nothing.

They also identify different when connected:
(1,2) TK-3300 Protalk [UHF]
(3) TK-3300 LMR [UHF]

Screenshot2012-04-10at12031PM.png

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Ok. For full programming capabilities, you'll have to change the model from protalk to LMR. Doing so will blank everything and you'll have to start from scratch (read and save an archive before you do anything drastic).

avguy

I've tried that, and it just produces an error when I go to write the unit.

"Check Model Name and Market Code"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.