Kenwood: TM271A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear837

Premium Subscriber
I hooked it directly to the battery. both positive and negative with an inline fuse

bharvey2

I hooked it directly to the battery. both positive and negative with an inline fuse

That is usually the preferred way to wire it. You can often incur a voltage drop and insufficient current problems when wiring to other parts of the vehicle. Unwanted noise should be less of a problem too. Glad you got it resolved.

Just an FYI: You should make sure you have inline fuses very close to the battery. If you rely only on fuses close to the radio, you end up with a good length of unprotected wire that has the potential to be shorted out. If that happens, at the very least you'll have melted wires. A vehicle fire or worse on the other end of the spectrum. Given the amount of current a car battery can deliver, this isn't an area the you want to take short cuts.

I have a TM271A and if the swr get to high it will cause the same problem. If you change the power setting to low and test that way also.

wqtz773

It is always the best policy to run the radio power conductors directly to the battery through a breaker.
DO NOT cut the fuses out of the ground wire as it is a safety device in case something else goes poof and tries to use the radio power positive line as a return line back to the ground. This will save your radio.
Trust me! As a young ham in a far distant past I have made this mistake and learned exspensively from it

Status
Not open for further replies.