tone out sounds like "sick cow"

hernando44

Premium Subscriber
I have tried everything including the different filters, but our fire/rescue tone outs are almost intolerable to listen too. The 1000 cycle alert tone is normal as well as voice dispatch.. I hope there is a solution to my problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

System: Hernando County, Florida
P25 Phase 2

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Another possibility is they might be toning out on a patched analog frequency. This always sounds different when I've experienced it. One way to know is to see if a radio ID (or Uniden calls it Unit ID) when they dispatch. No ID indicates a patch, if you see one, then they're using the trunking system. If you're still not sure, might want to ask in the Florida forum and maybe a local user would be able to help.

Ubbe

Each analog patch, telephone interface, and so on, will have their own RID. When there's a digital patch it will be possible to transfer RID thru the patch but an analog patch will not.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Each analog patch, telephone interface, and so on, will have their own RID. When there's a digital patch it will be possible to transfer RID thru the patch but an analog patch will not.

/Ubbe
I've monitored many VHF analog page outs to a P25 trunking system, and no radio ID is seen on the scanners. That's not the issue though, but a suggestion to determine if the OP is experiencing the "sick cow" tones. Yes, could be other reasons but it was a suggestion I make when users are complaining about awkward audio on a P25 system. As I've said a few times now, this would be better answered by a local user on a local forum to determine if it's noted by others.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Monroe County dispatches on an analog frequency and patches to the trunked system and the tones are good on the analog side but the patch side is annoying and slightly squealing. I have never heard a sick cow, but it could be.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Monroe County dispatches on an analog frequency and patches to the trunked system and the tones are good on the analog side but the patch side is annoying and slightly squealing. I have never heard a sick cow, but it could be.
I can't say I've heard that sick cow either, but we might be a little more tolerable than others with the sounds. I have two systems near me that do VHF fire tone-outs on the statewide Starcom systems and also sounds good to my ear.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have tried everything including the different filters, but our fire/rescue tone outs are almost intolerable to listen too. The 1000 cycle alert tone is normal as well as voice dispatch.. I hope there is a solution to my problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

System: Hernando County, Florida
P25 Phase 2
What scanner?