Toronto Tow truck driver helps police listening to his scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

Thats why i posted this story up on RR guys and girls. I wanted to show at least there is some good
stories about scanner users, whether their a tow-truck driver, or a civilian helping out.
Its nice that the police let this driver assist them. The co-operation between the 2, from just hearing
a call on a scanner.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
the stunt driveing charge was out for a few years now it when you go over the speed limit i forgot how much over they will charge you with stunt driving and impound your car and suspend you license

I watched a news article on the topic of "stunt driving/street racing" and for the life of me I have tried to find it but no luck. I am not quoting any laws as I am no lawyer/Police Const. but I do recall very well the article mentioning that the "law" allowed police to target any vehicle that looked as if it could be used for the purpose of speed/stunt driving. It gave the police power to search & lay charges for a variety of offences such as after market modifications that fail to meet code eg: seatbelts, tire rims, steering, lights ect. They could do a once- over from hood to trunk, and anything they find that was non-compliant one could look at some heavy fines, or even seizure. I honestly do not re-call the jurisdiction,(Waterloo Region?). Bottom line, it is there to protect the public from harm, and the people driving these type of vehicles from themself. As part of the article they interviewed a driver who had been pulled over for his after-market headlights/led and was cited for them as well as seatbelt covers that were not installed right. He made a suggestion that the Govt/Prov build a "Track" like Molsport, where he and others that share the same interest could drive/race without the worry of police intervention.I am not posting my personal opinion, just the article as best remembered.

ECCS

Well if any truck where to chase someone Id rather it be a tow truck driver then some stupid driver that has no driving skillz..

Now you might say tow truck drivers are reckless.. they can be but compare the amount of time they are on the road to a normal person... They see far more and react far more to daily dumbass moves by drivers then most of us..

Plus with the amount of lights they have on each truck they stand out enough to get other drivers attention... Might not be red and blue or siren's but you can see a tow truck a mile away..

Good job to the guy

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of following someone...

The other night, I had a driver cut me off on Bloor Street in Toronto, he cut off a number of other vehicles, generally drove like a tool shed. He got on the DVP northbound so I followed. He nearly wiped out as he took the ramp at at least 100. Anyway, NB on the DVP he nearly lost it several times, cutting cars off all over the place. Missed hitting the barrier at Spanbridge by about a foot. So, a call goes into 911. TPS calltaker takes the info and makes sure "Sir I don't want you following the car". "I'm not following, just going the same direction" is what I say, but knowing that the 401 isn't far away I didn't let him get out of my sight. The TPS calltaker continued to badger me not to follow. Well, EB on the 401 we go. Hello OPP...give them the information... "I have an officer set up at Morningside, can you let me know as you pass exits". Exits at Morningside...back to TPS... "Don't follow". I say "When I see one of your cars, I'll back off but I'm not letting buddy get away". Of course, attitude on the 42 band "caller refuses to stop following".

Long story short, they pulled him over and gave him some yellow coupons. Not impared.

I HATE calling in driving problems in Toronto - the call takers treat you like a POS and like you're an idiot (which to be fair, most callers probably are). The OPP however... follow him until he gets pulled over, or wrecks.

ECCS

They know most people will act stupid and get right up behind and cause a crash..

plus if they say back off they cant get in **** if u crash chasing the guy

Command30

Of course, attitude on the 42 band "caller refuses to stop following".

Long story short, they pulled him over and gave him some yellow coupons. Not impared.

I HATE calling in driving problems in Toronto - the call takers treat you like a POS and like you're an idiot (which to be fair, most callers probably are). The OPP however... follow him until he gets pulled over, or wrecks.

I had that happen once. Call-taker advises you to go easy, then the impaired driver struck another car up ahead. Well, sorry, I was too far back to witness the collision! Other car was rear-ended and probably didn't have any damage, they decided to drive away. Goodbye whatever evidence you might have had for failure to remain.

unusualtech

Very Interesting,
However in the past, you would always hear about police getting pissed off or telling the public "not to intervene" with "police matters" .

OemUser

from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act....

Racing, stunts, etc., prohibited

172. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Offence

(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her driver’s licence may be suspended,

(a) on a first conviction under this section, for not more than two years; or

(b) on a subsequent conviction under this section, for not more than 10 years. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Determining subsequent conviction

(3) In determining whether a conviction is a subsequent conviction for the purposes of subsection (2), the only question to be considered is the sequence of convictions and no consideration shall be given to the sequence of commission of offences or whether any offence occurred before or after any conviction. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

10-year limitation

(4) A conviction that is more than 10 years after the previous conviction is deemed to be a first conviction for the purpose of subsection (2). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Police to require surrender of licence, detention of vehicle

(5) Where a police officer believes on reasonable and probable grounds that a person is driving, or has driven, a motor vehicle on a highway in contravention of subsection (1), the officer shall,

(a) request that the person surrender his or her driver’s licence; and

(b) detain the motor vehicle that was being driven by the person until it is impounded under clause (7) (b). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Administrative seven-day licence suspension

(6) Upon a request being made under clause (5) (a), the person to whom the request is made shall forthwith surrender his or her driver’s licence to the police officer and, whether or not the person is unable or fails to surrender the licence to the police officer, his or her driver’s licence is suspended for a period of seven days from the time the request is made. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Administrative seven-day vehicle impoundment

(7) Upon a motor vehicle being detained under clause (5) (b), the motor vehicle shall, at the cost of and risk to its owner,

(a) be removed to an impound facility as directed by a police officer; and

(b) be impounded for seven days from the time it was detained under clause (5) (b). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Release of vehicle

(8) Subject to subsection (15), the motor vehicle shall be released to its owner from the impound facility upon the expiry of the period of impoundment. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Early release of vehicle

(9) Despite the detention or impoundment of a motor vehicle under this section, a police officer may release the motor vehicle to its owner before it is impounded under subsection (7) or, subject to subsection (15), may direct the operator of the impound facility where the motor vehicle is impounded to release the motor vehicle to its owner before the expiry of the seven days if the officer is satisfied that the motor vehicle was stolen at the time that it was driven on a highway in contravention of subsection (1). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Duty of officer re licence suspension

(10) Every officer who asks for the surrender of a person’s driver’s licence under this section shall keep a record of the licence received with the name and address of the person and the date and time of the suspension and shall, as soon as practicable after receiving the licence, provide the person with a notice of suspension showing the time from which the suspension takes effect and the period of time for which the licence is suspended. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Duty of officer re impoundment

(11) Every officer who detains a motor vehicle under this section shall prepare a notice identifying the motor vehicle that is to be impounded under subsection (7), the name and address of the driver and the date and time of the impoundment and shall, as soon as practicable after the impoundment of the motor vehicle, provide the driver with a copy of the notice showing the time from which the impoundment takes effect, the period of time for which the motor vehicle is impounded and the place where the vehicle may be recovered. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Same

(12) A police officer shall provide a copy of the notice prepared under subsection (11) to the owner of the motor vehicle by delivering it personally or by mail to the address of the owner shown on the permit for the motor vehicle or to the latest address for the owner appearing on the records of the Ministry. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

No appeal or hearing

(13) There is no appeal from, or right to be heard before, a vehicle detention, driver’s licence suspension or vehicle impoundment under subsection (5), (6) or (7), but this subsection does not affect the taking of any proceeding in court. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Lien for storage costs

(14) The costs incurred by the person who operates the impound facility where a motor vehicle is impounded under this section are a lien on the motor vehicle that may be enforced under the Repair and Storage Liens Act. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Costs to be paid before release of vehicle

(15) The person who operates the impound facility where a motor vehicle is impounded under subsection (7) is not required to release the motor vehicle until the removal and impound costs for the vehicle have been paid. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Owner may recover losses from driver

(16) The owner of a motor vehicle that is impounded under this section may bring an action against the driver of the motor vehicle at the time the vehicle was detained under clause (5) (b) to recover any costs or other losses incurred by the owner in connection with the impoundment. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Offence

(17) Every person who obstructs or interferes with a police officer in the performance of his or her duties under this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Intent of suspension and impoundment

(18) The suspension of a driver’s licence and the impoundment of a motor vehicle under this section are intended to promote compliance with this Act and to thereby safeguard the public and do not constitute an alternative to any proceeding or penalty arising from the same circumstances or around the same time. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Impoundment concurrent with other administrative impoundments

(18.1) The impoundment of a motor vehicle under this section runs concurrently with an impoundment, if any, of the same motor vehicle under section 41.4, 48.4, 55.1, 55.2 or 82.1. 2009, c. 5, s. 51 (1).

(19) Repealed: 2008, c. 17, s. 43.

Regulations

(20) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) requiring police officers to keep records with respect to licence suspensions and vehicle impoundments under this section for a specified period of time and to report specified information with respect to licence suspensions and vehicle impoundments to the Registrar and governing such records and reports;

(b) exempting any class of persons or class or type of vehicles from any provision or requirement of this section or of any regulation made under this section, prescribing conditions for any such exemptions and prescribing different requirements for different classes of persons or different classes or types of vehicles;

(c) defining the terms “race”, “contest” and “stunt” for the purposes of this section. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Definition

(21) In this section,

“driver’s licence” includes a driver’s licence issued by another jurisdiction. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Same

(22) In this section and in section 172.1,

“motor vehicle” includes a street car, a motorized snow vehicle, a farm tractor, a self-propelled implement of husbandry and a road-building machine. 2009, c. 5, s. 51 (2).

AND

Highway Traffic Act

ONTARIO REGULATION 455/07

RACES, CONTESTS AND STUNTS

Consolidation Period: From July 26, 2011 to the e-Laws currency date.

Last amendment: O. Reg. 360/11.

This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.

1. Revoked: O. Reg. 406/08, s. 1.

Definition, “race” and “contest”

2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “race” and “contest” include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.

3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,

ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or

iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

(2) In this section,

“marked departure from the lawful rate of speed” means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (2).

Definition, “stunt”

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.

5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.

7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit.

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or

iv. making a left turn where,

(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;

(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and

(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3.

Exceptions

4. (1) Despite section 2, “race” and “contest” do not include,

(a) a rally, navigational rally or similar event that is conducted,

(i) under the supervision of the Canadian Association of Rally Sport,

(ii) under the supervision of a club or association approved in writing by the Ministry, or

(iii) with the written approval of the road authority or road authorities having jurisdiction over the highway or highways used;

(b) motor vehicle owners engaged in a tour, scenic drive, treasure hunt or other similar motoring event in which the participants drive responsibly and in a manner that indicates an overall intention to comply with the provisions of the Act; or

(c) an event held on a closed course with the written approval of the road authority having jurisdiction over the highway, including any event lawfully using any of the trademarks “CART”, “Formula One”, “Indy”, “IndyCar”, “IRL” or “NASCAR”. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (1).

(2) Despite sections 2 and 3, “race”, “contest” and “stunt” do not include any activity required for the lawful operation of motor vehicles described in subsections 62 (15.1) or 128 (13) of the Act, or the lawful operation of an emergency vehicle as defined in subsection 144 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (2).

5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 455/07, s. 5.

If I remember correctly, there was at least one, if not two cars seized under this reg., during last year's Cannonball run....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.