tranquil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
In the houghton area of the upper peninsula of Michigan i hear a male voice who identified himself as tranquil. He read off a string of letters and numbers, which i would assume is some sort of code. I realized after the radio went back to scanning that i was dumb and didn't write down the frequency. I do have it alpha tagged at us air force and this was on UHF too. Just wondering if anyone knows who tranquil is?

mattcawby

TRANQUIL broadcast an EAM on 8776.0 July 3 at 2333z, preamble was MDAGBE. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you got him on 323.8, 311.0, or 323.8.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
That time is a little later than when i heard it but i wrote down the message and that matches what you have. not sure on which freq it was. Any idea where the transmitter would be located in this area. And where is TRANQUIL.

mattcawby

Well, he is flying around your house so we are counting on you to give us a report. I would try this:

Listen to the ARTCC freqs, one of the controllers may advise an airliner of the subject aircraft. Something like:
There is a heavy E-6 at your 10 o'clock.

Listen to the USAF metro freqs, or FSS 255.4. The heavy E-6 may ask for a weather forecast at Offutt or Tinker and hopefully will give a PIREP.

The ATC callsign will be different from the callsign used at the conclusion of the EAM broadcast, something odd like COOT, HUZAA, or one of a thousand others that nobody has on their callsign lists.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I'll keen an ear out. I don't get much ARTCC here, particularly inside this building and an outdoor antenna isn't an option. The situation improves when i'm in my car with the external antenna there. Which would be the USAF Metro freqs so i can make sure i have the right ones.

Last edited:
And the TACAMO and NAOC birds will tend to use civilian VHF ATC freqs instead of the military UHF side like many other mil aircraft will. I noticed this seemed to become even more prevalent in my area when they went to the daily rotating callsigns instead of the static callsigns and started using GEP aliases.

By the way, the 4 E-4Bs NAOCs are slated for the boneyard according to the 2006 QDR to be replaced by 2 C-32s of some sort and upgraded E-6Bs.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
When the E-6's depart Patuxent River NAS here, they have a different callsign for each mission. It's never been the same one. The only callsign that they re-use is their transit callsign SHADOW.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Is that as an alert callsign or as a transit callsign? E-6's never use the same alert callsign twice. Take a look in the "Stick for Milair Thread III" under the Maryland forums for different E-6 launches from PAX. You'll notice that they never use the same alert c/s more than once. That's why it's so hard to ID them when talking with ATC.

Status
Not open for further replies.