Traveling from New Brunswick to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacherjoe

Hey folks,

We are traveling from New Brunswick to New York City. We've done the trip before, but this time I'd like to limit the frequencies I'm scanning on the way down and back. I'm wanting to scan the frequencies that will tell us if there is anything that will effect our travels along the way.

We are planning on taking the 95 series highways to the Worcester area, then 84 to 91 and back onto the 95 series into New Jersey where our hotel is.

I'm thinking State Police and DOT, but are there any other suggestions for those who may travel the route?

Joe

ecps92

Mass, RI and CT SP are 700/800 Trunked systems

Hey folks,

We are traveling from New Brunswick to New York City. We've done the trip before, but this time I'd like to limit the frequencies I'm scanning on the way down and back. I'm wanting to scan the frequencies that will tell us if there is anything that will effect our travels along the way.

We are planning on taking the 95 series highways to the Worcester area, then 84 to 91 and back onto the 95 series into New Jersey where our hotel is.

I'm thinking State Police and DOT, but are there any other suggestions for those who may travel the route?

Joe

cacherjoe

Thanks, that's no problems, my HP-1 will handle those. Looking more for agencies as suggestions so that I can build a favorites list for the trip.

mainetrunk

From home to Mass border, the important ones I'd go with are--
Maine
156.150-SP/154.710-Radar/160.770-95 patrol
NH
151.400-nac-826-NH SP
You will be in NH for about 20 minutes, depending on traffic. Mass has alot, too much for me to track. You need a Mass expert.

cacherjoe

Thanks Maine Trunk. Like I said I've done the trip before, but the last time I had about everything unlocked. Too much to pick out any value in the events up ahead. sometimes it's nice to know that stopping for supper a little early will save you from sitting in traffic because of an accident.

I'll also post to Mass and NY forums.

mainetrunk

True true. It is also nice to know what road you are on, and when you hear EMS dispatched. That way you can be ready for the pull-over to let it by.

cacherjoe

I've chose to pull over and eat early many times rather than be just one more rubbernecker the first responders have to deal with. In over 20 years of scanning, I've never gone out of my way to drive past any scene. I'll take the long way around to avoid it.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

FWIW I think I get better reports of what's ahead on the road from other sources. Here's some things I use from time to time while on the move or stopping for a fuel/meal stop:

The smartphone VZW Navigator GPS app shows the roads around my location in green, yellow and red, live-updating traffic conditions. As I drive down the road, a look ahead gives me alternatives around NYC, Hartford, Boston and areas around the short NH toll road. (I am not up to date on GPS' new tricks.)

There are a number of national web sites that offer updating traffic condition maps for metro areas.

I'll tune across the TIS stations usually found above 1600 kHz.

On the road I listen to the 24-hour AM news stations ahead of my current location. NYC: WCBS-880, WINS-1010. CT: WTIC-1080. MA: WBZ-1030. There are more to choose from, but memory fails me at the moment. I can hear WCBS in the car during the day from York Harbor, ditto for WBZ from the suburbs of NYC.

Look at the states' DOT web sites for construction zones and traffic cameras. If you are a member of AAA, there is another source.of info.

If you don't have a smartphone, there are WiFi spots at rest areas, fast food stops and more. The states' 'welcome to...' stops will also have road construction info.

HTH. As usual YMMV.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Now that I think about it, the trip may well be most problematic getting through or around NYC into NJ. I95 across the Bronx and GW Bridge is a best a nightmare, and I think the Tappen Zee Bridge is still under construction. If you come through central CT, you'll to make a route choice in/near Hartford. Staying on I95 along the coast doesn't offer many options approaching NYC. At least the 10min traffic reports on WCBS-880 are pretty current. HTH.

cacherjoe

Thanks for the info. By the time we hit NYC/NJ it will be later in the evening. When we did it the last time it was about 9pm and a breeze. Coming the other way in the morning on our way out was another story.

As for the apps, and web sites, being a Canadian traveling in the US, the Data costs on the smartphones would cost us a fortune. We made the mistake of using them in Mexico a few years ago and the bill we got was just under $2000 and that was just checking facebook. We have our phones set to automatically turn off data roaming when we hit the border.

J

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wow, I didn't realize Canada and the US were at war on data rates. The last time we were in Montreal for an F1 race we weren't charged any differently but that was years ago.

Maybe just resort to public WiFi connections, the states' visitor centers, and the AM radio for TIS and news stations?

My condolences on coming to nNJ and Bridgegate. Many potholes and construction... :D

Last edited:

ecps92

All depends on your carrier and plans.

I've learned to shut the phone off, 2+ miles from the CN border, as by the time the Text notification of going into ROAM occurs, you have already racked up $1+ and counting (That was just Sprint.. Nextel was much easier)

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wow, I didn't realize Canada and the US were at war on data rates. The last time we were in Montreal for an F1 race we weren't charged any differently but that was years ago.

Maybe just resort to public WiFi connections, the states' visitor centers, and the AM radio for TIS and news stations?

My condolences on coming to nNJ and Bridgegate. Many potholes and construction... :D

w2xq

Mentor

Ecps92, I've been with Verizon since the getgo and roaming thankfully went away many years ago on an unlimited plan. VZW always seemed to have coverage where I drove or traveled, and friends on other networks around here complain about signal dropouts. I just never had a reason to change. Of late, the only place I've run out of coverage is central Wyoming where the deer and antelope play... but then one couldn't get lost as there were only two roads through the area. :D

ecps92

Yes, CONUS coverage is fine, but just watch it go to ROAM at the Canadian Borders

ROAM still exists, especially if your phone goes to a Non VZW carrier :)

Ecps92, I've been with Verizon since the getgo and roaming thankfully went away many years ago on an unlimited plan. VZW always seemed to have coverage where I drove or traveled, and friends on other networks around here complain about signal dropouts. I just never had a reason to change. Of late, the only place I've run out of coverage is central Wyoming where the deer and antelope play... but then one couldn't get lost as there were only two roads through the area. :D

w2xq

Mentor

Ecps92, it still surprises me that there is a Canada-US border war on rates and roaming but, as you say, it depends on the carrier and plan. To the OP's question, I would think that WiFi and the AM radio are potential solutions to his queries.

novascotian

I know the OP wasn't looking for frequencies in order to avoid radar or police in general but while we are on the topic of travel south from Canada... wondering if anyone has lately seen the Maine State Police on I-95 between the border and Bangor... They put the speed limit up to I think it is 75,,,, highest in all of the eastern part of the US as far as I know, and since then it seems like they have withdrawn the state police from the area... do you think it was just too expensive to patrol a lightly used section of interstate, so instead put the speed limit up so not so many would be breaking the law.... just speculating...

Status
Not open for further replies.