Trooper 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This week the CSP sent Trooper 2 to a scene in Lebanon for air support and put it out in the press info that Trooper 2 was on scene for air support.

I know Trooper 1 for the helo and Air 7 and Air 8 for the fixed-wing, what is Trooper 2?

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

sefrischling

So Connecticut under utilizes Trooper 1, which causes all sorts of issues ... so they purchased a second helo? I only see one active helo registered to CSP, N1903A, a 2001 Bell 407.

While N401SP and N402SP's registrations both expires on 11/30/2014, neither aircraft appears active.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
So Connecticut under utilizes Trooper 1, which causes all sorts of issues ... so they purchased a second helo? I only see one active helo registered to CSP, N1903A, a 2001 Bell 407.

While N401SP and N402SP's registrations both expires on 11/30/2014, neither aircraft appears active.

Wow this is the first I heard about trooper 2,one of the issue years ago was it cost so much to utilize trooper 1 and they only use it when they need to and this is the first I heard about trooper 2 when did they purchase it.

csp662

Premium Subscriber
Trooper 2 was recently put into service using two army surplus OH-58 helicopters. The two surplus helicopters have been in the back of the hanger at Brainard for at least the past 16 years. I was told that some grant money was used to get one of them in service. They may have used parts from both to make one. I know they did put new civilian skids on it and it is a single engine, two blade (Model 206) helo.

Last edited:

coolrich55

You guys remember that search and rescue helo that was based out of I believe Middlesex county some years ago? I can't remember it's name. Must have run out of funding.

Dan6071

Premium Subscriber
JFA just got there radio fixed after I don't know how many years now,And for the longest time thay used the wrong pl.

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Did Eagle 1 eventually go to Fairfield County operated by Fairfield PD?

You would think that with Sikorsky having their home in CT they would offer a better deal, but those days are long gone.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
How does it get dispatched such as do they request trooper 1 first and if unavailable they call eagle one and what freqs do they use?

radioguy224

Premium Subscriber
This week the CSP sent Trooper 2 to a scene in Lebanon for air support and put it out in the press info that Trooper 2 was on scene for air support.

I know Trooper 1 for the helo and Air 7 and Air 8 for the fixed-wing, what is Trooper 2?

do you knw what frequency or talk group they use for the helicopters

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
The trooper helicopters would sugn on the air on talkgroup 16016 which is thecstatewide comm ch1 and then they can go to any channel to talk to ground units such as troop a disp or car to car,several years ago in wolcott we had a perp seach and they signed on the talked to troop a troopers on the car to car channel,troop a was assisting wolcott police for that incident

cg

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that the CSP helicopters are only used to respond to a request for assistance and the crew members get paged to respond. There is no helicopter on patrol like the Mass SP occasionally do. There are so many hoops to jump through to get one in the air that the vast majority of incidents where one would be of benefit never generate a request for the asset.

chris

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that the CSP helicopters are only used to respond to a request for assistance and the crew members get paged to respond. There is no helicopter on patrol like the Mass SP occasionally do. There are so many hoops to jump through to get one in the air that the vast majority of incidents where one would be of benefit never generate a request for the asset.

chris

Yep you hit the nail on the head.you are absolutly correct on that statement

sefrischling

Trooper 1 is a completely useless asset in the state. A state of this size, and terrain, should have 2-3 helos, and have them on ready-alert. A helo even shared by New Haven-Bridgeport would make sense and be functional. Hartford has a real need for air support.

Status
Not open for further replies.