• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trouble Programming VX-261

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvuradioguy

Premium Subscriber
Good evening,

We have a mix of Vertex 231s and 261s. I'm able to program and alter the 231s with no issue via CE99, but anytime I read or upload to the 261s, it wipes the 261 to one single default channel (not even one of the ones in the program file). I'm using CE150 to program the 261s with an off-brand connector. The connector works fine for the 231s.

Anyone had a similar issue?

incomitatus

i am having this same problem, i have updated firmware, tried the software on multiple computers using windows 7 and windows 10. Not able to find a fix for this.

ergbert

I've successfully programmed my VX-261, using a cable purchased on ebay from KJ6ZWL. Here's the skinny:

Windows 10
CE150 v2.04 USA (narrowband version)
VX-261 running firmware 1.10 (originally had 1.06 but I found a 1.10 updater and it worked).

The file you are uploading must be in the same directory as the CE150.exe. Additionally, I set compatibility to Windows XP SP3, and run as administrator.

ergbert

And, I spoke too soon. Successfully programmed in 8 channels, went back to add two more and it reverted to the previously described behavior. Now I’m on the fence whether to send it for repair or toss it on eBay for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sectional86

I am also having the same problem. anyone have any fix for it yet?

Mine is VX-261, FW 1.10. Using a 3rd party cable. I am able to read from the radio, but not able to write anything.

ergbert

Well, I’ve been playing around with my VX-261 some more, and decided to sit down and thrash on it some more. I bought a membership to vertexradiogroup.net and downloaded every single firmware and CPS version, as well as the wideband reset tool. Figured there has to be a combination that will work.

I will post more info and software versions tomorrow, I'm at work now, using the radio and it's performing flawlessly.

Don't give up on it!

ergbert

So, here's the breakdown on the combination of settings that wound up sticking. I ran the following in a Virtualbox VM of Windows 8.1, as I've heard CE150 does not work correctly with Win10.

1. CE150 version 2.05 EXP (NOT the narrowbanded US version)
2. Firmware 1.05.00
3. USB programming cable from KJ6ZWL, as mentioned above

I first tried the firmware writer FW7. Used the FW7 binary from the 1.08.00 firmware zip file. All firmware writes were successful.

Next I tried the Wideband Recovery Tool 1.03 (other versions did not have the VX-261/264 listed in the menu), as I had previously tried to use a US version of CE150, without much success. The Wideband Recovery Tool failed in every instance, stating "Product Type Error".

Next, I installed CE150 2.05, over top the US-version CE150 2.04 that I had previously installed. Every attempt to read the radio failed with "Product Type Error", until I selected the lowest available baud rate (38400). Now, it read and wrote to the radio using the default codeplug file included with the CE150 installation.

Now that CE150 and the radio were talking to each other, I attempted to program a code plug I had previously put together. I placed this codeplug in the CE150 program directory, renamed the default codeplug to something else, and renamed MY codeplug to reflect the name of the default (in my case, default261ud.CE150). It worked on the first try!

I have not attempted to change any settings yet, since it is working. That's a project for another day. Hope this helps someone out. All software was sourced from vertexradiogroup.net.

ergbert

Thanks ergbert for the information. Vertex Radio Group - Vertex Standard Radio Programming Software Group is a legit website? It looks like a scam site therefore I did not dare to pay for the membership.

May I know what is this codeplug you are referring to? Is it the file that is saved with the frequency codes to be programmed into the radio?

I paid via PayPal, and received access to their archive of Vertex service manuals and software. In my particular situation it was worth the $35, as opposed to spending time searching, with less than useful results. Time is money, they say.

The codeplug is the settings file created by CE150, either via reading the radio and saving, or by File-New. There are several default files in the same directory as the CE150 program executable, basically blank templates for the model (VX-261 or VX-264), and frequency range (136-174, 400-470, or 450-512 MHz) of your particular radio...

ergbert

I have now figured out why I was having so much trouble getting a codeplug to stick, on my VX-261, and boy is my face red! In addition to the baud rate selection mentioned above, it was 100% operator error!

Vertex apparently defines "Download" as WRITE to the radio, and "Upload" as READ from the radio. I had these definitions inverted in my mind, and therefore every time I tried writing a codeplug to the radio, I was merely reading it.

I have tried again, and CE150 works just fine as installed, under Windows 10, but it still gives me an error if I don't select the lowest available baud rate from the File|Configure menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.