SDS100/SDS200: Trouble receiving analog channels

Fallguy67

I just very recently purchased an SDS100. Overall I'm enjoying being able to hear digital broadcasts that I couldn't receive on my BC125AT.

However it seems that the SDS100 is not doing so well with analog channels compared to the BC125AT.

Side-by-side the BC125AT will be picking up a channel, pretty clear, and the SDS100 doesn't always pick it up, I do see it scan past the system. When the SDS100 does pickup the analog channel, many times it doesn't seem as clear as it does on the BC125AT.

I have tried different locations in the house (sometimes does make a slight difference sometimes), I have a RH77CA Diamond antenna that I had or use with the BC125AT, I have tried switching back and forth to each scanner, also doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I figure it has to be something I'm doing wrong, otherwise can't believe that such an expensive and modern scanner has trouble with analog broadcast.

To add, I am BRAND NEW to digital scanning.

Thanks for any help.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I figure it has to be something I'm doing wrong, otherwise can't believe that such an expensive and modern scanner has trouble with analog broadcast.
The SDS100's sub-par analog quality has been discussed many times here on the forums, nothing you're doing wrong. Some threads I linked below offer a few suggestions like upgrading the antenna (which you did), adjusting the audio filters (info in this post), among other things. The internal speaker isn't the best so that puts it a bit behind other receivers. I only use my SDS100 for the digital voices (P25, DMR, NXDN) and not much else. Yes, analog is a bit of a disappointment at its price point but it's a champion on simulcast trunked radio systems

Fallguy67

Thank you, gentleman. I did look back a little ways in the forum, but got sidetracked and didn't do a search.

I'll check all this out.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
No need to read what someone else suggests, Turning the filters off for analog works for me and he was looking for suggestions.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Also, one point.
To do an actual side by side comparison, the only accurate way is to use a common antenna and a multi-coupler.
Then, you know they are getting the exact same signal into each radio's antenna port.