trouble receiving Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a BC996 and did live in a apartment across town and received Starcom fine on a 800mhz duck. Now I bought a house and I'm closer to the towers the signals seem weak. I have 3 towers close they are like 5 miles 10 miles and 20 miles, The one 5 miles I get 0 signal the one 10 miles I get 2 bars and the other that is 20 miles I get 1 bar. I have tried diffrent antennas and coax and no good. Now my question I have a tower that is 4 or 5 blocks from me that has a fm broadcast station and a few other things on it. Would this rob my signal?

A local buddy of mine told me it has to be that tower and to out a fm trap on it. Would this work or does anyone have any ideas?

N9JIG

Sheriff
An FM trap just might help in that situation. I also might suggest that you try searching for other StarCom21 towers, it is possible that you might actually be closer to some other tower now. Check the CARMA Profile for site locations and see if there is a closer one to you now.

RADIOGUY2002

fm trap

What is an fm trap?

I notice some prolbems with starcom today, however I'm not in west central IL. For once I'm am rx nwcds better since I completed the firmware upgrade on my scanner. However, starcom 21 I can not same the same thing about.

N9JIG

Sheriff
What is an fm trap?

It is a device that blocks FM Broadcast signals, it connects between the radio and antenna.

I notice some prolbems with starcom today, however I'm not in west central IL. For once I'm am rx nwcds better since I completed the firmware upgrade on my scanner. However, starcom 21 I can not same the same thing about.

I think you are saying that you are having difficulty monitoring StarCom21 but you can pick up Northwest Central Dispatch OK.

This is not unusual, the StarCom21 simulcast sites play havoc with scanners, particularly Unidens. Sometimes they work fine, but often the audio is garbled or just not there. Try reducing your antenna somehow, add attenuators, reduce the elevation or something so that you are hearing only a single tower from the simulcast group.

Status
Not open for further replies.