Trouble with MFJ-948 Versa Tuner

KE7OMG

Ok, so I'm not exactly having trouble with the tuner, as it works fine. My issue is, I believe a may have had it on the 30 watt setting running 100 watts into it. When I first started using it, the needles would fall immediately after unkeying the radio. Now, they fall ever so slowly and it drives me nuts... I'm pretty good with a solder iron and could replace a component if needed, the problem is.... I wouldn't know what component has failed causing the slow dropping of the needles to the zero point after unkeying. I'm guessing maybe a capacitor that isn't discharging as fast as it should, or maybe a resistor whos value has changed due to having to many watts pushed through on the wrong setting. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.... KE7OMG

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
For clarification, are talking about the built-in watt meter not functioning correctly? The antenna tuner function still works as designed, correct?

WA8ZTZ

Could be just static electricity build up on the plastic meter face.
Wipe it off with a mild detergent/water solution and see if that cures the problem
before tearing into the guts of the tuner.

KE7OMG

Ok, well it was just the opposite. I had it on peak and when unkeying the needles SLOOOWLY fell to zero... on AVG however, the needles drop immediately... Is this normal, or should the needles drop immediately on either settings?

KE7OMG

For clarification, are talking about the built-in watt meter not functioning correctly? The antenna tuner function still works as designed, correct?
The meter works fine, the tuner works fine, just when unkeying, the needles drop slowly to zero as if there's something wrong in the circuit. The needles should drop instantly once unkeyed. Its like there's a capacitor that slowly discharges to ground when unkeying and you can watch it discharge as the needles fall real slow. Just like any other analog meter, once you remove power, the needle instantaneously will fall to zero. This one isn't. I'm wondering if maybe I sent too much power down the wrong path.... IE 30 watt channel instead of the 300 watt channel.... I did discover it only happens when its on the peak setting on not average setting.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
The meter works fine, the tuner works fine, just when unkeying, the needles drop slowly to zero as if there's something wrong in the circuit. The needles should drop instantly once unkeyed. Its like there's a capacitor that slowly discharges to ground when unkeying and you can watch it discharge as the needles fall real slow. Just like any other analog meter, once you remove power, the needle instantaneously will fall to zero. This one isn't. I'm wondering if maybe I sent too much power down the wrong path.... IE 30 watt channel instead of the 300 watt channel.... I did discover it only happens when its on the peak setting on not average setting.
There is nothing wrong.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Ok, well it was just the opposite. I had it on peak and when unkeying the needles SLOOOWLY fell to zero... on AVG however, the needles drop immediately... Is this normal, or should the needles drop immediately on either settings?
Your tuner is working fine. It is better to have the power setting on the correct range so you don't "peg" the needle when you transmit. But other than wrapping the needle around that post :ROFLMAO:, you probably did not damage anything. Just try to not do that again...

As for the "capacitor discharge" effect with the meter slowly returning to zero, that is normal in the "PEAK" position of the push-button. In the "AVG" position, it should fall to zero rather quickly. I did not have my thinking cap on and had too little coffee earlier. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

73, Dave K4EET

<EDIT> Sorry about my earlier mistake on how the needle reacted. A capacitor does actually charge higher and higher as you transmit while indicating PEAKS in your power output.

Last edited:

KE7OMG

Your tuner is working fine. It is better to have the power setting on the correct range so you don't "peg" the needle when you transmit. But other than wrapping the needle around that post :ROFLMAO:, you probably did not damage anything. Just try to not do that again...

As for the "capacitor discharge" effect with the meter slowly returning to zero, that is normal in the "PEAK" position of the push-button. In the "AVG" position, it should fall to zero rather quickly. I did not have my thinking cap on and had too little coffee earlier. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

73, Dave K4EET

<EDIT> Sorry about my earlier mistake on how the needle reacted. A capacitor does actually charge higher and higher as you transmit while indicating PEAKS in your power output.
Well, you nailed it the first reply, just backwards... I appreciate the explanation as to why they drop slowly in peak mode... I had a feeling I was watching a capacitor discharge when unkeying. Thanks buddy!!!!

KE7OMG

Could be just static electricity build up on the plastic meter face.
Wipe it off with a mild detergent/water solution and see if that cures the problem
before tearing into the guts of the tuner.
It wasn't static.