Trunk/Conventional Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

police340

Hello,
In setting up a BCD996T, how should i organize systems? All conventional together and then all trunk together or organize by state or such. Not sure what is the best method as I am just learning this hobby.

Thanks,
Bill

BaLa

You can't normally combine trunk systems.
Conventional, I normally do by County.

If there's a lot maybe by City.
You don't want it to scan 500 freqs if you're too far away to pick up 300 of them.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Bill,

There are several ways you can set your scanner up. It really depends on how you want to listen and the number of systems that are in your area.

With the DMA of the 996, you have quite a few options.

What I've done with my 396 is organize by locality or system (I'll explain this in a minute) and then using the sub banks to split into services.

So for me, quick key 1 is my local multi user system. With four jurisdications using it, it is taking all ten sub systems quick keys to handle this. I have police and fire for each jurisdition in their with their own sub key. I also have special events in their own sub bank.

Quick key 2 is the neighboring city trunked system. Again, I have broken it down to police, fire, an Army fort that uses the system for their security/fire and some special events.

The same holds true for each of my other systems. The further away from home, the higher the assigned quick key.

I also have specific quick keys for state police and other wide area services (like the national park service in the area).

Now others use different organizations. They may organize by putting all police in one key, all fire in another, etc. An issue here is trunked systems. As already mentioned, you cannot put multiple trunked systems into a single 996 system. But you can assign a multiple trunked systems to a single quick key.

Others just group by location and do not subdivide, just entering the talk groups or for conventional, the frequencies they want to listen to.

So the thing is to take some time and think about how you want to listen. What with 99 (at least that is what the 396 has) possible quick key assignments, you have a lot of capability.

police340

Thank you

Thank you Lynn and others who have replied. It is good to learn from all.

Bill

police340

You know Lynn, Quickeys is something I havent played with yet. I have been just downloading from radio reference into scanner and seeing what I can come up with. As I said I do have a lot to learn and its tough on this old brain!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
police340 said:
You know Lynn, Quickeys is something I havent played with yet. I have been just downloading from radio reference into scanner and seeing what I can come up with. As I said I do have a lot to learn and its tough on this old brain!

Quick keys will become your best friend in organizing. When you set up a system, assign a quick key. Software makes doing this a piece of cake.

N1BHH

You organize it the way you want to organize it, with the stipulation that you must remember to not mix trunking types together. Don't mix Motorola with LTR or EDACS, as this just won't work. I organized my PRO-97 and PRO-2055 the same way, by counties, by regions of the state, by fire and police separately. You should write down what you want to do, then set it up the way you want it. The new dynamic channel programming of scanners today let's you configure the way you want. Don't need to be structured any strict way.

Airdorn

I organize the same way this site's database is organized. For me, each radio system is a 'system' in my 886T. For instance, around here the biggest system is the Memphis/Shelby County, TN public Safety system. That system serves radio goodness to Memphis Police, Memphis Fire, Shelby County Sheriff, Shelby County Fire, Shelby County Corrections, Public Works, Housing authority, etc. That whole system becomes a 'system' within the scanner.

All those entities listed above get their own group, and then each channel within a group gets its own channel in the scanner, within the system. Each group also gets a group quick key.

Then I have some other systems in the scanner that are just collections of misc. conventional frequencies. I can select which system to scan at anytime using a system quick key.

And I agree with a previous response.. quick keys are the greatest. They quickly became my very best friend.

Uniden's way of doing all this (with the non-banked, 'dynamic memory' way) is just plain awesome, IMHO.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
N1BHH said:
...you must remember to not mix trunking types together. Don't mix Motorola with LTR or EDACS, as this just won't work. ...
He has a BCD996T, he can't mix the system types.

police340

Keep It Coming

Thanks guys, keep it coming. This is all new to me so i am learning. Anyone have any experience with the remote heads for the BCD996T? I'm thinking I might have the radio mounted in the back and maybe the head mounted on the dash somehow. Any ideas as I am putting it in a 2008 Toyota 4Runner.

Regards,
Bill

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
police340 said:
Anyone have any experience with the remote heads for the BCD996T? I'm thinking I might have the radio mounted in the back and maybe the head mounted on the dash somehow.
I don't have a 996T but do have a 396T which is my mobile radio and run it with a RH-96 head. Remember, the remote head controls the scanner just like the keypad on the scanner with one important exception, you can't turn the scanner on or off with the head. So you have to find a way to remotely power the scanner on or off.

manross

loumaag said:
I don't have a 996T but do have a 396T which is my mobile radio and run it with a RH-96 head. Remember, the remote head controls the scanner just like the keypad on the scanner with one important exception, you can't turn the scanner on or off with the head. So you have to find a way to remotely power the scanner on or off.

Police340 hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread for a quick question of Lou or anyone else. I just bought a remote head to go with my BR330T. I really don't have a convienant area to mount the scanner where I can turn it on/off. Is there a way to remotely turn it on and off??

Marty

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
manross said:
Police340 hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread for a quick question of Lou or anyone else. I just bought a remote head to go with my BR330T. I really don't have a convienant area to mount the scanner where I can turn it on/off. Is there a way to remotely turn it on and off??

Marty
A switch in the power lead leading to the radio.

police340

Remote Head

Wouldnt the radio turn off when you power off the car? Also do the remotes heads have speakers or will yoube using the scanners speaker? I am thinking about the head for the 996T.

Thanks,Bill

manross

police340 said:
Wouldnt the radio turn off when you power off the car? Also do the remotes heads have speakers or will yoube using the scanners speaker? I am thinking about the head for the 996T.

Thanks,Bill

No it doesn't have a speaker. I'll use a remote speaker. Yes your correct in that the momentary switch setup of the 330/396 would not allow the use of an inline power switch. I think I've come to the conclusion since my 330 would not be in easy reach, that I'll use some lacquer covered micro wires hooked to the traces of the circuit board mounted on/off switch. There's more than enough room for a miniture audio female plug to mount on the case and then just plug in an extension momentary switch. Ought to work good.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
police340 said:

Thanks,Bill

Not necessarily. It depends on where you have the radio wired. If you wire to the accessory side or engine running side, then the radio will not power on unless key is in ignition and it is set to either on or accessory.

If you wire to the battery side, the scanner will run even when the car is being started. There is a potential problem with this. If you leave the radio on for an extended period, especially with a weak battery, you can run the battery down.

Keep in mind, the car battery is there normally for one thing, to start the car. It has a lot of cranking power, but very little long term power. After the car is started, it is being recharged and power comes from the altenator (though on the hot side, this is passed through the battery).

I have my scanners wired through a switch on the battery side of the fuse box. That way if the batteries run down while I am out and about, I can plug the scanner in, turn on the switch and charge away. I did this because my lighter plugs are on the accessory side of the car ignition switch and they are turned off when I turn the car off.

n2mdk

The question about the 330 and remote head is sort of a duplicate thread. Part of the question about turning the radio on remotely is sort of being missed. The 246, 330 and 396 don't have regular on/off switches they use extended hold momentary switches. On those types of switches it has always been my experience once power is removed from the units you need to turn them on again manually. If this is the case then there is no way to control the on/off ability then through the radio itself.

I guess the power setting will remain in on position so in this case I am wrong http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=780594&postcount=9

Last edited:

manross

Upman said:
The scanner will turn on/off with external power with no batteries in (i.e. if you leave the scanner turned on, remove power from the DC jack, then restore power to the DC jack, the scanner will turn on with no button presses).

Unless there is a serious issue with your vehicle's electrical system (which would likely affect other vehicle electronics), switching the scanner on/off by connecting it to a power source that turns on/off with the vehicle's ignition should be no problem. There are a few settings that do not get stored when the scanner is powered off externally (IIRC, backlight status is one) but this is generally not a big deal.

Per Upmans other thread post, there is no problem doing the above. I set the battery switch inside the scanner to Alkaline and removed the battery pack. I inserted and removed the power plug many times and it powers up just great. The only thing it doesn't save is the light setting. I can live with that. This just saved me a bunch of modification work. Thanks to Upman again.

Lou you were right all along....

Marty

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
manross said:
Lou you were right all along....
:lol:
It does happen occasionally.
:lol:

Since I have 396 that I use mobile (with a head), I already knew what happens when you add/remove power. I power both the radio and control head from the same line. With a 396T, I would recommend an amplified external speaker; the attenuation built into the earphone jack is murder on external speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.