Trunk Recorder stops working, scrolls 0's

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
I'm using Trunk Recorder to feed Broadcastify Calls on Ubuntu 18.04. I'm running 2 instances with 2 SDRs on the same computer. One system that has a tower about 1 mile away, p25 phase 1 and never seems to have a problem. The other system is about 20 miles away and p25 phase 2. I record both systems to a ramdrive and delete the files once uploaded, if it matters. I believe I'm on Trunk Recorder 3.14, revision e97afd0.

After a week or two of running fine the further second system will stop and when I get to the console its just constantly scrolling 0's as fast as possible. If I restart it it will do the same thing in about 1-15 minutes until I restart the computer, and after that the cycle starts again, good for a week or two, then full of 0s again.

Tonight I caught it before the 0's scrolled all the text off the screen. It looks like it might have some error writing the audio file and then the whole thing barfs after that. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it, or could Trunk Recorder handle this error better?

Code:
[/home/pi/trunk-recorder/lib/gr_blocks/nonstop_wavfile_sink_impl.cc] file i/o error
[/home/pi/trunk-recorder/lib/gr_blocks/nonstop_wavfile_sink_impl.cc] file i/o error
sox WARN wav: Length in output .wav header will be wrong since can't seek to fix it
ERROR: failed to finalize m4a
[2020-06-25 21:17:22.460170] (error)   [SDCNG]  TG: 2301        Freq: 853.887500 MHz    Broadcastify Metadata Upload Error: <html>
<head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center>
</body>
</html>

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

boatbod

The "O"'s are an indication of gnuradio overflow. Usually this happens when something goes wrong with the flowgraph, which in this case appears to be related to wavsink being unable to write (file i/o error). Did you run out of disk space?

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Hmm it looks like it might have been that simple... I thought the recording file was corrupt and causing the issue but it looks like the ramdisk is full. I have "audioArchive": false but Trunk Recorder is still saving all the recordings for some reason on that system. I'll verify the config isn't malformed somehow. This leads to another complaint I have for Trunk Recorder... even with the archive false it saves the json files even though it deletes the audio file. I want to save nothing once uploaded. I have an upload script running that sleeps 30 seconds then deletes the json after, its a bit of a hack but maybe I'll extend that to just delete everything.

edit - a new thought - for the calls that get
"Broadcastify Metadata Upload Error: SKIPPED---ALREADY-RECEIVED-THIS-CALL"
Do those files not get deleted by TR because it doesn't consider them uploaded? That could be why this system fills up and my other one doesn't, I'm the only provider of my other system that runs fine but this one has multiple providers of different simulcast zones.

Last edited:

mikewren

Feed Provider
Got caught by this situation as well - this thread probably saved me an hour or two ("why would I check if the Ramdisk is full, I have audioArchive set to false!!!")

Going with the upload script that will clear all files associated with the call, thanks again!

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Yup that was the issue for me. I wish Trunk Recorder had a better "do not archive" setting because I really want to save NOTHING, but at least it can run a script after so now I just delete anything with that call name after 60 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.