TRX-1 Inside Look and discriminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I did this so you don't have to. Do not void your warranty. if you do it ain't my fault!

While the TRX-1 discriminator audio is available from the earphone jack without modification it is also available from the infamous TP-4 of GRE and RS heritage. The discriminator audio from this point works just fine for decoding PL and DPL and I assume for other digital decoding as well. While chances are you won't need it it is there just the same.

Here are some interior pics of the radio:

Here is the rear of the main unit. There is a second board that connects via a connector on the right side of this pic. Also notice the RF section under the large shield below the antenna connector.

TRX1a.jpg

Here is the daughter board. There is a large insulated shield and you can see the matching connector to the main board. Once can also see the battery type switch.
TRX1b.jpg

Here are both boards unfolded.
TRX1c.jpg

Notice TP-4 just to the right of the large square IC directly below the squelch control. I tested it with a CD-1 decoder and it works great.
TRX1d.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Just for fun. I try to find out about these on all my radios, I did a similar thing for the 436/536 and other radios before.

I rarely use discriminator audio myself anymore other than a tone decode on my R8500. I use PRO96Com for my trunked decoding and this doesn't need discriminator audio but I do maintain a couple radios with taps (BCT15X and a 996XT as well as a PRO197) for the few times I might need it.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Pictures aren't loading for me :(

But I did review your excellent TRX-2 pictures.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I tried a couple browsers and a couple computers and they all seem to work fine for me. I wonder if some sort of ad-blocker blocks them since they are hosted on a different site.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Cool. I just took my 1080 apart to fix it. The card that has the antenna connector and squelch pot should be able to be removed too so you can see the back of it.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I did this so you don't have to. Do not void your warranty. if you do it ain't my fault!

While the TRX-1 discriminator audio is available from the earphone jack without modification it is also available from the infamous TP-4 of GRE and RS heritage. The discriminator audio from this point works just fine for decoding PL and DPL and I assume for other digital decoding as well. While chances are you won't need it it is there just the same.

Here are some interior pics of the radio:
<snip>
I had no problem seeing the trx-2 photos.

It appears the problem is the backslashes used in the links. I can see the link urls when I look at the page source. If I enter the links directly in the browser I get "Your search - http://www.carmachicago.com\images\TRX\TRX1b.jpg - did not match any documents." If I change the backslashes to forward slashes the browser shows the pictures.

I edited the quoted text above and I can see the pictures.

73 Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I wonder if some browsers automatically fix the links and others don't... I must have used the wrong slashes and since it worked on my stuff I assumed it was correct. I have not had that issue before.

I tried it in Safari, FireFox, Opera and Chrome on the Mac, Safari on an iPad as well as FireFox and Edge in Windows 10 and they all seemed to work fine.

Thanks for posting the corrected links, I think that should help those who can't see it and avoid me from having to repost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.