TRX-1: TRX-1 issue

Lisshot

Hi all! There is an incomprehensible problem with the program for TRX-1. When trying to create a new trunk system, the program does not look like it and does not write it down and the frequency of sites on the CD card, when trying to consider the void just recorded on the card, with analog frequencies, are recorded and read without problems. How to fix it?

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your city, county, and state and which trunked system are you trying to monitor? If you attach your configuration, I will take a look at it and check for problems. Save your configuration to an archive file. Click on Attach files and open the file.

ad5ez

What is your city, county, and state and which trunked system are you trying to monitor? If you attach your configuration, I will take a look at it and check for problems. Save your configuration to an archive file. Click on Attach files and open the file.
Potter county Amarillo Texas name is Jerry kd5lii

Attachments

• Whstler TRX-1 Config (1).zip
    120.1 KB · Views: 3

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all! There is an incomprehensible problem with the program for TRX-1. When trying to create a new trunk system, the program does not look like it and does not write it down and the frequency of sites on the CD card, when trying to consider the void just recorded on the card, with analog frequencies, are recorded and read without problems. How to fix it?
Potter county Amarillo Texas name is Jerry kd5lii
You have "two" trunked systems in that file.
1704090093496.png
The one labeled as "Motorola" is only a shell, no site site frequencies or talkgroups.

The Amarillo system has five sites, four of which are locked out. You do not see frequencies for the Potter County site until you select that site.
1704090505590.png
You would get any recordings from the talkgroups that are not locked out (many from the neighboring counties and Amarillo non-public safety TGIDs are locked out) because recording is not enabled on the talkgroups that are active,
1704091004578.png

I would also note that the Potter County site is simulcast. Depending on your friend's location, relative to the transmit sub-sites, simulcast distortion may impact the ability to monitor that system. Unfortunately, the Whistler scanners, including this TRX-1, often have difficulties successfully decoding & receiving simulcast systems. Simulcast problems are extremely location specific. In some cases, moving the scanner to a different location in a residence, even if only a couple of feet, can make a big difference in whether or not a given system can be monitored without issues.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the conventional frequencies work OK, you have communication with the scanner and anything programmed should go into it. I do not see any problems with the programming. You can delete the New System since that is not in use. You can also delete any talkgroups with a Mode of TE which are fully encrypted and cannot be received by any scanner. I see that you are scanning the Potter County site only which is fine. Try opening the squelch to see if the trunked system will scan. I suspect that you may be experiencing simulcast distortion. The Potter County site actually consists of 4 subsites all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals from the 4 towers arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. That results in missed transmissions and garbled audio. Sometimes, the control channel cannot be decoded at all in which case the system will not scan. Whistler scanners are highly susceptible to simulcast distortion, especially P25 Phase 2 simulcast systems which the Amarillo County system is. If you are using an outside antenna, disconnect it and use the stock antenna on the scanner. Try turning on the attenuator. Set the scanner on its back and rotate it 360 degrees. Try moving the scanner around the room. Sometimes, you may find a sweet spot where it works. Remove the stock antenna an replace it with a paper clip stuck into the center of the connector. When dealing with simulcast, less signal is more. Anything you do to reduce the signal may reduce the out of phase interference from the other towers and improve control channel decoding. The Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only scanners specifically designed to overcome the effects of simulcast distortion which is experienced by all other scanners. The SDS scanners are the only ones which will reliably receive my local county simulcast system at my home location.