TRX-2 Analog VHF Reception problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm a long time scanner listener.....The problem I'm having is receiving the frequency (155.2500 analog which is a local PD with a PL162,2 programmed in ( listed in RR as a repeater). I have set the tone to search with the same problem... It picks up if I park on it, but I get sporadic reception at best while scanning, even when I only have a hand full of frequencies and only 1 scanlist active. My old analog scanners have no problem with it running off the same antenna.I have played with the attenuator in ezscan and via the keypad with no difference

I had the same problem with my hacked pro668...I thought the trx-2 would be better at receiving this one freq.

Any suggestions?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that GRE-based radios have a birdie on that frequency.

ScannerSK

Interesting... Have you tried to adjust the squelch?

On the older GRE scanners, if the SQ Wait time was lowered in the advanced menu settings the scanner would scan faster however would only stop on stations with a stronger signal strength if adjusted too far. I'm not sure if there is anything similar in the TRX-2?

These scanners are very prone to interference/overload/desense issues as well so it could be something down that line as well.

When I tested out a TRX-2, I believe I typically kept the squelch on a setting of 3.

Shawn

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-2 with the latest firmware and I am not seeing any issues with a birdie on 155.250 MHz; possibly some local interference inside your location causing the receiver grief, could be mixing with something like a PC, LED light bulbs, etc. I have a issue with some Cree LED's that cause interference issues on VHF and 220 MHz, as soon as I turn off that lamp, problem is solved. Incidentally, the issue happens on Whistler, Uniden, and even Motorola radios, so it's not a receiver quality issue.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Squelch setting made no difference when just scanning the one scan list with only 12 frequencies in it.. Signal is strong. Like I said if I park on it it will receive the transmissions fine.

racingfan360

Based on the info provided, I too would suspect a desense issue. Given it's a strong signal, what happens if you program in the frequency (+CTCSS tone) but offset by say + or - 5khz? Does that help?

ebplayer

I noticed some bugs with the TRX-1 in terms of squelch and zeromatic. There is definitely a squelch break delay on conventional analog frequencies when there is either a squelch tone set or zeromatic is turned on when searching. I've resorted to turning off all squelch tones as well as zeromatic. I reported this to Whistler and had some e-mail exchange with their support people but they don't admit that it's a problem and only told me that they're always looking to make improvements.

Ubbe

There is definitely a squelch break delay on conventional analog frequencies when there is either a squelch tone set or zeromatic is turned on when searching.

Yes, it can not be avoided as it is a technical issue and not a bug. In any subtone controlled squelch system, and also trunked systems, you have to instruct the users to count to one missisippi when pushing the PTT until they speak. The TRX grabs the channel info from the SD card and then compares to what are received and then decides if and when to open up the audio. A commercial radio loads the DSP with the actual values and wait for a signal to decode which will give a slow scanning rate. A fast scanning multimode receiver needs to do it differently.

The zeromatic needs to wait for the receiver to stabilise to be able to determine if the frequency is spot on.
You can adjust the zeromatic delay setting to wait a shorter time and increase the window, that will impact it's ability to screen out offset frequencies.

/Ubbe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it can not be avoided as it is a technical issue and not a bug. In any subtone controlled squelch system, and also trunked systems, you have to instruct the users to count to one missisippi when pushing the PTT until they speak. The TRX grabs the channel info from the SD card and then compares to what are received and then decides if and when to open up the audio. A commercial radio loads the DSP with the actual values and wait for a signal to decode which will give a slow scanning rate. A fast scanning multimode receiver needs to do it differently.

The zeromatic needs to wait for the receiver to stabilise to be able to determine if the frequency is spot on.
You can adjust the zeromatic delay setting to wait a shorter time and increase the window, that will impact it's ability to screen out offset frequencies.

/Ubbe

Thanks, I already was not running the squelch tone as I figured that part out a long time ago with my pro-668. I made some tweaks last night and it is picking up better but still not as as much as I would think.

How do you turn off the zeromatic tuning on a trx2?

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I'm a long time scanner listener.....The problem I'm having is receiving the frequency (155.2500 analog which is a local PD with a PL162,2 programmed in ( listed in RR as a repeater). I have set the tone to search with the same problem... It picks up if I park on it, but I get sporadic reception at best while scanning, even when I only have a hand full of frequencies and only 1 scanlist active. My old analog scanners have no problem with it running off the same antenna.I have played with the attenuator in ezscan and via the keypad with no difference

I had the same problem with my hacked pro668...I thought the trx-2 would be better at receiving this one freq.

Any suggestions?
Cable TV Birdie - see here: https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/25821-birdie-problem-bcd396t-155-25-help.html#post1732599

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that GRE-based radios have a birdie on that frequency.

Ok, I was close. They have issues with 155.520 or at least all of mine do. :confused:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
No Birdies......
Birdies are operating frequencies, which all scanners
have, that are created inside the scanner’s receiver
and can cause interference. If the interference is not
severe, you adjusting the squelch might omit the birdie,
but if you program one of these frequencies after a
search, you will hear only noise on that frequency. If
you suspect that a frequency you have programmed is
being affected by a birdie, try removing the antenna.
Removing the antenna will help determine if the
interfering signal is a birdie signal being generated
inside of the scanner, or the result of an external
interference source. If the noise on a frequency is not
affected when the antenna is removed, it is almost
certainly the result of a birdie. If the noise disappears
when the antenna is removed, the noise is most likely
coming from an external source.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I don't have cable tv I have satellite and if it was a birdie, why do my other scanners work fine?

If there is cable within a block of your house that is what matters, the birdie is related to the IF )Intermediate Freqs - an internal process, not related to the frequency you tune to) of a scanner, and your other scanners may have diffferent IFs.
W

ebplayer

/Ubbe

I understand the concept of how it works, it just seems strange to me that they can't do something like buffer some fractions of a second of audio while the comparisons or stabilization takes place and then break the squelch and play back all the audio.

Ubbe

I understand the concept of how it works, it just seems strange to me that they can't do something like buffer some fractions of a second of audio while the comparisons or stabilization takes place and then break the squelch and play back all the audio.

They already have an audio delay in function to get rid of the squelch tail on analog channels with carrier controlled squelch.
If you listen to the recorded audio on a conventional analog channel without CTCSS/DCS you will hear that each transmission in a simplex system, or when a repeater starts, begins with a burst of noise that equals the time of the audio delay minus the time it takes for the squelch to react.

You don't hear that start burst from the speaker as the unmute of the speaker is very slow and gradually increase in level. Try listening to the recorded audio and check if that includes your missing audio.

/Ubbe

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Along similar lines, I'm surprised I have to set the squelch on my TRX-2 at 9 or 10 instead of the usual 3 or 4 settings. I'm thinking I'm missing things because of the lower squelch. I seem to remember reading about this before, Has the issue been solved or do we just have to live with this issue?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Along similar lines, I'm surprised I have to set the squelch on my TRX-2 at 9 or 10 instead of the usual 3 or 4 settings. I'm thinking I'm missing things because of the lower squelch. I seem to remember reading about this before, Has the issue been solved or do we just have to live with this issue?

I have to have my squelch at 9 or 10 also. Your probably not missing anything.Get a outside antenna and a amp if needed then you can use the attenuator feature to cut back the gain.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
TRX-2 Reception

I have a hole mount antenna on my vehicle. I use a 1/4 wave VHF antenna when I park in my garage. When I'm on the road I'll use a 1/2 wave VHF antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.