TRX 2 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPSMP

I got My TRX 2 delivered yesterday from Scanner Master. I have it plugged in and nothing.. No power at all. Is there something I'm missing? or did I just get a faulty unit and am gonna have to send it back?

K9JLR

Wild possibility: try removing the remote head and then reconnecting it.

Another thought: does anything light up when you connect it (USB) to a PC?

Agreed - I've even read that some people have had to lightly clean the gold contacts, e.g., using a small screwdriver, before reconnecting the head, so it can't hurt to try that too.

After you've done that, try this:
Make sure that NO cables are attached to the unit, then press and hold down the power button for a full 30 seconds (others have recommended using a timer to get it exact); after 30 seconds, try plugging in the power cord and then press and hold power button until the unit instructs you to let go.

radio3353

Agreed - I've even read that some people have had to lightly clean the gold contacts, e.g., using a small screwdriver, before reconnecting the head, so it can't hurt to try that too.

After you've done that, try this:
Make sure that NO cables are attached to the unit, then press and hold down the power button for a full 30 seconds (others have recommended using a timer to get it exact); after 30 seconds, try plugging in the power cord and then press and hold power button until the unit instructs you to let go.

Really? You pay $500+ for a scanner and have to go through this just to turn it on? :roll: There truly is one born every minute.

MPSMP

Thanks for all the input... I ended up calling Scanner Master back and after removing the head and removing the sd card. Put sd card back in and head back on after checking the gold connectors to make sure they were not bent all is good scanner is up and running. Now I'm into the owners manual trying to figure out setup and other features..

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for all the input... I ended up calling Scanner Master back and after removing the head and removing the sd card. Put sd card back in and head back on after checking the gold connectors to make sure they were not bent all is good scanner is up and running. Now I'm into the owners manual trying to figure out setup and other features..

Glad to hear things are working now.

Things happen in the factory, etc.... alot easier to try these types of things before spending money and time sending it back.

BTW- I do know that sometimes the radio won't start and it displays a tiny message on the top line of the dark display that is really hard to see when there is an SD card issue -- my most common time for seeing that is when I pulled the card the night before and forget to reinstall it....

Sounds like in this case it was either a misaligned head or the SD card wasn't seated properly.

troymail

Silent Key
Hmmmm....

My last 3 radios from Uniden had well known issues with repair recalls (and some well known issues Uniden hasn't even acknowledged yet) they had to be sent in for (some more than once) --

I have at least 10 GRE/Whistler radios of various models dating back at least 10 years -- most are turned on 24/7/365 and being used to monitor something -- and I've yet to need to send any in for any type of service....

That says something.

DJ11DLN

Had a similar issue with a pair of 1098's I bought recently. Cleaning the contacts should be part of the setup process. Not that I agree that it should need to be done, just ought to be an FYI sort of thing Whistler should warn us about. Actually had to use the remote cable to get one of them to do more than just stare back at me before I realized I needed to clean the contacts; I was thinking that one side or the other may have had a defective connection, and that the remote cable might verify that. A little alcohol on a lint-free cloth and all was good.

But this does make me wonder about the long-term viability of these scanners with the head attached conventionally, especially in a mobile and thus potentially dusty or humid environment. Luckily most newer vehicles don't have anyplace to mount them as one piece, so the cable will probably be used.:(

K9JLR

Really? You pay $500+ for a scanner and have to go through this just to turn it on? :roll: There truly is one born every minute.

Yeah, I think there are some glitches, but I've been happy with the scanner overall. I do agree that out of box it should be plug and play, at least sans operating error issues with the system, and more than a few users have experienced these glitches, but I learned a lot more about the scanner and software in the process of getting this all nailed down and functioning properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.