TRX-2 - Super Long Boot Up Time after adding DMR and NXDN Scan Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
Hi there,

I had my TRX-2 for a few months, but just now started playing with DMR and NXDN. After adding two additional scan lists last night, I noticed the scanner boot time runs through the normal 30ish seconds or so before it gives me the option to Scan. Once I hit scan, it starts preparing scan list files as usual until it gets to the DMR scan list, at which time it takes literally about a minute and forty five seconds to prep that folder. Then it moves to the NXDN folder and takes about another minute or so before the unit actually starts scanning. Summing up the problem: Before adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, boot up time about 30ish seconds. After adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, boot up time close to four minutes. Is this normal?

A little more background for context:

1. Before adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, I had 13 scan lists. Now I have 15.

2. The first 13 scan lists had anywhere between 3 and 80 objects per list. However, the DMR scan list is huge, about 1000 objects, and the NXDN list is about 500 objects. I did it this way on purpose as I plan to spend the next week or so just exclusively scanning these two lists and listening as to what's active and what's of interest to me. Then gradually filter out inactive channels, encrypted channels, and things that don't interest me.

Is the size of these scan lists causing my problem or is this something specific to DMR and NXDN regardless of how many objects I have in the lists?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm still learning this thing.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The more information the scanner needs to load the longer it takes. It shouldn't take but a few minutes. I have the TRX-1 and among the TRS I have are 4 that each have about 4200 RIDs in them plus over 2000 TGIDs and I have about 2000 conventional freqs, but it only takes a couple of minutes to boot up.

Ubbe

The scanner compiles the data in the scanlists to see how the scanning can be done in the most efficient way. Having 1000 objects will take a long time to compile. Uniden scanners doesn't do that but you have to figure out yourself how to setup scanning the best way and not have duplicate data in the wrong places where it slows down scanning. Whistler fixes this for you, but with a startup time penalty.

An unnessary big SD card can be partioned to a smaller size, using any of the free partition programs, to reduce the initial start time that budrousa mentions where the scanner checks the filesystems integrity.

/Ubbe

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the advice and guidance. I'll divide the DMR objects into a several scan lists and see if that improves things. I'm using an 8gb SD card, so I think I'm ok here.

Not hearing anything at all on the NXDN channels, which I find unusual since I've got over 500 programmed. EZ Scan shows them all programmed as convention channels and as "RAN: *tg:*" for squelch setting. Not a peep on a single channel. I'm guessing I've programmed something wrong or have a setting incorrectly set.

Ubbe

Check that the conventional object has a scanlist number at the far right in EZ-Scan and also that the DMode are digital. Then check in General Settings that the scanlist are enabled. It's not much else that can be wrong. No Attenuator set for the object or in Global? You'll need the object to have a delay or it will not stay on the channel if you scan it just when a user has stopped transmitting and waits for a response.

/Ubbe

bklynrob70

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ubbe and buddrousa. Looking at my EZ Scan, I think Scan List number, DMode, Scan List enabled and attenuation settings are correctly set. Scan Lists to are also correctly enabled on the advanced tag. All objects have a 2 second delay. Here's a couple of screen shots of what I'm seeing, does this look right to you? I played around in Limit Search last night and had very marginal success in picking up NXDN, but that was more than I was able to do in scan mode.

Ubbe

I asume that the scanlist are also enabled in the Scanlist tab. It looks as if they could be trunked NXDN systems?
I don't know if that will give problems if you program the frequencies as conventional. It probably should work but I have no trunked NXDN systems myself to verify if it will work if you scan each frequency seperatly as conventional.

Maybe you could add also them in a trunked system with different sites and then try both NXDN(C) and (D) types.

/Ubbe

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Signature Wireless appears to be a Trunked system. You need to use "preferred import" and import it to a scanlist of it's own. I would only import the closest site to you if you are using it as a base scanner. Or maybe the three San Mateo sites.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Four minute boot time! I remember that happening to me when I used the stupid (zip-code) method. It put everything from the entire Crook Co. ILL-annoyed into the (default) scanlist which is #1 unless you do the import from the "preferred" method. I see you have your default scanset = 1-15. For each new scanlist you create, you would have to increase this number to 1-16, 1-17 etc. I'd be curious to see your first page of the EZscan form (tab GENERAL) to see what that looks like. Long, long boot times (regardless of micro-card size) means usually a list is saturated with a ton of stuff.

rayvelcoro

Hi there,

I had my TRX-2 for a few months, but just now started playing with DMR and NXDN. After adding two additional scan lists last night, I noticed the scanner boot time runs through the normal 30ish seconds or so before it gives me the option to Scan. Once I hit scan, it starts preparing scan list files as usual until it gets to the DMR scan list, at which time it takes literally about a minute and forty five seconds to prep that folder. Then it moves to the NXDN folder and takes about another minute or so before the unit actually starts scanning. Summing up the problem: Before adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, boot up time about 30ish seconds. After adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, boot up time close to four minutes. Is this normal?

A little more background for context:

1. Before adding the DMR and NXDN scan lists, I had 13 scan lists. Now I have 15.

2. The first 13 scan lists had anywhere between 3 and 80 objects per list. However, the DMR scan list is huge, about 1000 objects, and the NXDN list is about 500 objects. I did it this way on purpose as I plan to spend the next week or so just exclusively scanning these two lists and listening as to what's active and what's of interest to me. Then gradually filter out inactive channels, encrypted channels, and things that don't interest me.

Is the size of these scan lists causing my problem or is this something specific to DMR and NXDN regardless of how many objects I have in the lists?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm still learning this thing.
This may have occurred to you, but why not just do UHF band limit searches in DMR and NXDN modes? I have used this method very successfully to discover new active frequencies. Use the "record search" function to capture all your finds.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Are you guys SURE the “size of the SD data card” makes a difference in “boot time”? I have 2gb cards, and 32gb cards, and if they are both loaded with the same data, the boot time is exactly the same. I don’t see a difference in boot time based on card size, I only see a difference based on the amount of data stored on the card. The boot does not check the empty disk space, it only looks and checks the data, as far as I can see.

Last edited:

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Are you guys SURE the “size of the SD data card” makes a difference in “boot time”? I have 2gb cards, and 32gb cards, and if they are both loaded with the same data, the boot time is exactly the same.

When I moved from the stock card to a 16gb card, the TRX took 10x longer to boot. I went back to 4gb and it was fairly quick. Both had the exact same data on them. I realized though that 4gb is plenty unless you are expecting 5,000+ recordings.

At the time, I believe I had 8,000 conv frequencies stored. Now I'm over 15,000.

Ubbe

I have 2gb cards, and 32gb cards, and if they are both loaded with the same data, the boot time is exactly the same.
It's about the correct boot time that buddrousa mentioned, 1GB/sec, and it's the initial boot up time we talk about when the scanner are powered on, before it starts to load the scanlists.

/Ubbe

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I will do some testing on this later. I'm, sure it also has something to do with the speed of the SD cards, they can vary between brands.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We got our Info from FACTORY SOFTWARE REP DON STARR when the 1080 1088 1090 1098 TRX-1 and TRX-2 were released. Don was doing field testing also he had a PSR-900 beta that was never released.

Status
Not open for further replies.