trx2 not picking up conventional frequencies

Rick08

Premium Subscriber
My trx 2 in the last 3 days has stopped picking up conventional frequencies. I have a mix of conventional, dmr and Bell Fleetnet in 2 scanlists.
This has been the go to for a couple years. The trx2 is picking up the Fleetnet stuff no problem but not hearing conventional or dmr.
I deleted a bunch of frequncies that werent being used the reformatted the card and copied the new configuration. I've gone through and checked settings and all that seems to be in order.
I can't seem to figure this out.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It picks up my local fire department. I’m only 2-3 miles from that tower. Other local departments are not coming in now including some that are dmr.
What are you using for an antenna?

Ubbe

Check the usual stuff like if you have the attenuator on and if the antenna have gone bad. It can be that your trunked stuff are generally higher in signal strength compared to the conventional, or most trunked are at 700-900Mhz and conventional mostly on 400-500MHz and VHF and those lower frequencies are somehow now received worse?

TRX-2 are generally worse in receive quality in VHF and probably also 400MHz compared to 800MHz so it can be some strong local transmitters that have come on air recently that desense the receiver.

/Ubbe

Rick08

Premium Subscriber
Check the usual stuff like if you have the attenuator on and if the antenna have gone bad. It can be that your trunked stuff are generally higher in signal strength compared to the conventional, or most trunked are at 700-900Mhz and conventional mostly on 400-500MHz and VHF and those lower frequencies are somehow now received worse?

TRX-2 are generally worse in receive quality in VHF and probably also 400MHz compared to 800MHz so it can be some strong local transmitters that have come on air recently that desense the receiver.

/Ubbe
I guess for the most part I don’t want the antennuator on, is this correct . I think I understand what you’re saying about the trucked systems. Everything I hear in trunking is on bell Fleetnet and is in the 140-160 mhz range. Everything I have in conventional including dmr is no lower than 140 and no higher than 170 MHz.

rf_patriot200

I guess for the most part I don’t want the antennuator on, is this correct . I think I understand what you’re saying about the trucked systems. Everything I hear in trunking is on bell Fleetnet and is in the 140-160 mhz range. Everything I have in conventional including dmr is no lower than 140 and no higher than 170 MHz.
Yes, you want your Attenuator turned off.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a outdoor antenna which has worked great for 2-3 years.
Try using the telescoping antenna that comes with the scanner if you still have it. If not, stick about a 20" length of thin wire into the center of the BNC connector on the scanner. If your trunking system site is nearby, it may work with a bad antenna, but the other conventional frequencies will not.

Ubbe

The trx2 is picking up the Fleetnet stuff no problem but not hearing conventional or dmr.
I deleted a bunch of frequncies that werent being used the reformatted the card and copied the new configuration. I've gone through and checked settings and all that seems to be in order.
So this happened when you wrote a new programming to the TRX-2?

Can you please in EZ-Scan go to File/Save current configuration to Archive and name the file problem.zip and attach to your next post and we can take a look.

The trunked system that still works are an analog Motorola SmartZone system with some digital APCO25 talk groups and are in the 140MHz band. Stuff that do not work are conventional and DMR trunked, except the local fire department and other very strong signals that are still getting through.

It seems as if you have severely reduced coverage now, like the attenuator enabled or the antenna or coax cable suddenly have gone bad.

/Ubbe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
No it’s not picking up weather but when I connect my handheld to that antenna it picks up the weather. So I thinking it’s maybe not an antenna issue.
It may be a hardware issue. BUT first, format and reload your configuration on the card.