BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Trying to program again

Status
Not open for further replies.

orgullodemexico

Premium Subscriber
Greetings all -

I had the Sentinel software loaded on a laptop with Windows 10 and it quit working. So I understand that Windows 10 and Sentinel don't play nice. I am not smart enough to adjust and windows settings to try and getting it going so I want to start fresh on another computer.

I installed another software, PS (not using the full name) which is the full version for a 30 day evaluation. PS is looking for the scanner on either Comm 3 or Comm 4 which the computer says are in use by another program - OK great.

Frustration is high - I remember why I put the scanner in the closet and walked away the last time.

If either Sentinel or PS are not the best choice for BCD436HP and Windows 10 then what?

Thank You

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Greetings all -

I had the Sentinel software loaded on a laptop with Windows 10 and it quit working. So I understand that Windows 10 and Sentinel don't play nice.

That is not true. I've installed Sentinel and ProScan on multiple Windows 10 machines with zero issues. You've got something else going on causing the problem. Most likely the 436 USB driver is not installed, or not installed correctly.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If either Sentinel or PS are not the best choice for BCD436HP and Windows 10 then what?

Thank You

Sentinel works just fine with Windows 10. What specific problems are you having? What error messages are you getting? If you can elaborate other than "it quit working", we can probably help resolve your issues.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I can say that I had Sentinel working on a windows 10 notebook for a year when it all of the sudden quit working a month ago. Every time I would try to run the program I'd get a Sentinel stopped working message. Same with Pro Scan. Sentinel version was for both 436/536 and HP2.

I restored the notebook to it's factory status and everything works fine again. I'm thinking some Windows 10 update might be the problem. I only use this particular notebook for programming scanners and logging with Pro Scan.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The most likely culprit (and the only thing ProScan and Sentinel have in common) is the driver. If it's missing or malfunctioning, no programming software will work.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
It is possible that Windows 10 replaced the driver. I can't say with any certainty that I ever checked to see if the notebook still recognized the scanner while I was receiving the program stopped working message. I do have trouble with Windows 10 replacing the driver for my HT1250. I always need to manually go back to the older driver when I want to program my HT1250.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Two separate issues here

Sentinel stopped working
The scanner needs to be in Mass Storage mode. No driver needed. Advise on the exact error message and does it happen when Sentinel is loading?

ProScan is looking for the scanner on either Comm 3 or Comm 4 which the computer says are in use by another program.

The scanner needs to be in Serial Port mode. Do you have the serial port driver installed? This link in the Windows Serial Drivers section has has the Serial Port Driver link.
BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

{edit} If using ProScan for logging, virtual screen, remote control, etc., then the scanner in Serial Port Mode. If using ProScan for Favorites editing then scanner in Mass Storage mode.

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Two separate issues here

Sentinel stopped working
The scanner needs to be in Mass Storage mode. No driver needed. Advise on the exact error message and does it happen when Sentinel is loading?

ProScan is looking for the scanner on either Comm 3 or Comm 4 which the computer says are in use by another program.

The scanner needs to be in Serial Port mode. Do you have the serial port driver installed? This link in the Windows Serial Drivers section has has the Serial Port Driver link.
BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Sentinel stopped working message is while the program is loading. Double click the program icon, and get the message within a minute. Same for Pro Scan. I should have done a screen shot of the message. I didn't, so I can't advise on anything but Sentinel/Pro Scan Stopped Working.

As far as drivers. Both programs worked one day and these messages appeared the next day. So drivers were working, both Mass Storage Mode and Serial Port Mode prior to the day both programs "Stopped Working". The only thing I was able to do to get things working again was do a complete restore on the notebook. Uninstalling/Reinstalling drivers did not work. Windows 10 will use the "best driver for the device" not exactly the driver you install.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel stopped working message is while the program is loading. Double click the program icon, and get the message within a minute. Same for Pro Scan. I should have done a screen shot of the message. I didn't, so I can't advise on anything but Sentinel/Pro Scan Stopped Working.

As far as drivers. Both programs worked one day and these messages appeared the next day. So drivers were working, both Mass Storage Mode and Serial Port Mode prior to the day both programs "Stopped Working". The only thing I was able to do to get things working again was do a complete restore on the notebook. Uninstalling/Reinstalling drivers did not work. Windows 10 will use the "best driver for the device" not exactly the driver you install.

On your problem, The common factor is Sentinel and ProScan both uses the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0. I would guess the framework 2.0 got removed or corrupted. I don't think this is the same problem orgullodemexico is having because ProScan runs.

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
On your problem, The common factor is Sentinel and ProScan both uses the Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0. I would guess the framework 2.0 got removed or corrupted. I don't think this is the same problem orgullodemexico is having because ProScan runs.

I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
orgullodemexico, It's possible that the "user.config" file got corrupted. We've seen this before.

Using Win Explorer, Go to this folder. C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Uniden. Substitute <user> with your account name.

Delete the folders starting with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url". Restart Sentinel. The folders and user.config files will recreate. See if it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.