Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFD4305

1. The 8 Phoenix PD precincts apparently have 2 TGs each designated "dispatch," Dispatch A and Dispatch B. Does anyone know how or why A or B is selected for any given call?

2. Does anyone have a list of unit designators for PDs in the county? Specifically, Glendale, Peoria, Phoenix, and MCSO. [e.g. 'Adam X' or 'George Y' etc]

Thanks!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I think A & B are seperated geographically within the precinct. Either North & South, or East & West, but I'm not positive.
Each agency has their own way of assigning unit ID's, there is no real standard.
In Peoria, the first number is the shift 1-4, then the beat area 1-9, then the officer 1-9. George units are Sgt. Lincoln are Lts. Mary units are motor officers. If they have a 2 digit suffix number, they're Sgt's. If they have a 3 digit suffix number, they're officers. David are detectives. Paul are the Police Service Officers (PSO's) which are uniformed, unarmed civillian employees who assist with booking and transport of prisoners, crime and accident scene investigations, traffic control, report taking, records, etc. Park Rangers and Animal Control Officer's are PSO's, AC is the ID for animal control.
Glendale ID's are similar as far as patrol (up to 5-6 beats, not 9 like Peoria IIRC) and detectives. They call their PSO's Civillian Service Officers (CSO's), I'm not sure of their ID's.
Phoenix uses the precinct number 2-9 first, but on the air typically drop it, then the beat and officer number, followed by an alfa suffix (921G). Sgt's use the precinct number, their number, followed by a suffix. (92G would be 921G's Sgt.)
MCSO uses their district number 1-8 (Southeast, Southwest, Northwest, Northeast, Lake Patrol, Queen Creek, Fountain Hills and Mountain (formerly Parks & Trails) are the districts in order), followed by the beat and deputy number, then a suffix to indicate shift and whether a 1 or 2 deputy unit. A Mary suffix is a process server, usually on the Central TG, but I think I've heard them on West as well. A Paul prefix followed by a 3-4 digit number is a Posse member. I've also heard Constable units on the West TG, they may also be on East.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
1. The 8 Phoenix PD precincts apparently have 2 TGs each designated "dispatch," Dispatch A and Dispatch B. Does anyone know how or why A or B is selected for any given call?

A&B channels are patched together almost all the time. In the past, A&B channels were different geographical areas in the precinct, but I have not seen this in a while.

If you have a GRE scanner with recent firmware, they will properly recognize the patch. You will hear the same radio traffic on both talkgroups.

Uniden scanners still don't follow the patch correctly. The talkgroup you will hear depends on how the patch was set up.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I need to get my PSR-500 updated :/ I never have since it was purchased.

KB7MIB

I'd like to correct myself, in regards to MCSO unit identifiers.
The alfa prefix (not suffix) indicates the shift and whether the unit is a 1 or 2 deputy unit.
A: Day Shift, 1 deputy
B: Day Shift, 2 deputies
C: Day Shift, 2nd car, 1 deputy
D: Day Shift, 2nd car, 2 deputies
G: Swing Shift, 1 deputy
H: Swing Shift, 2 deputies
I: Swing Shift, 2nd car, 1 deputy
J: Swing Shift, 2nd car, 2 deputies
K: Posse Jail Wagon
L: Night Shift, 1 deputy
M: Night Shift, 2 deputies
N: Night Shift, 2nd car, 1 deputy
O: Night Shift, 2nd car, 2 deputies
T: Lake Patrol, 1 deputy
U: Lake Patrol, 2 deputies

A unit ending in 00 is a Captain or higher. A unit ending in 05 or 06 is a Lt. A unit ending in 0 is a Sgt. #8# is an administrative unit. #9# is an unit that roams the district (an "at large" unit). So Adam 300 is the district 3 day shift Commander. Adam 305 and Adam 306 are the district 3 day shift Lts. Adam 340 is a day shift Sgt. Adam 391 would be a deputy who roams the whole of district 3, or may help with saturation patrols alongside, for example, Adam 346 and Charlie 346 in the Wittmann & Circle City area during the day.

Other unit identifiers:
Car #: Command staff
OS ####: Off duty sworn deputy
OR ####: Off duty reserve deputy
OV ####: Off duty retired deputy
P ####: Posse member
(# or #### = unit or badge number)

Alfa Suffixes:
A: Command Staff
B: General Services
C & S: Special Operations
D: Enforcement
F, N, P, X & Y: Jail/Custody
(415F Jail Perimeter Security K9; 52#F & 53#F Chain Gang)
G: Internal Affairs
H: General Investigations
K: Enforcement Support
L: Records & ID
M: Court Services (234 Mary is an example of one that I hear frequently.)
T: Tactical (SWAT)
U: Training
V: Special Investigations
Z: Traffic

This information is from the Southwest Frequency Directory, 10th Edition (2009). Some of the information may have changed in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

MFD4305

Thanks!

I appreciate the input. This info will increase my understanding during my "extended" listening time on the 100 degree days....
I have a Uniden scanner [BCD996T]; the Phoenix PD talk groups come up for me [in far northwest Glendale] as follows: precincts 2, 3, 4, and 9 always on A; precinct 5 always on B; and precincts 6 and 9 on both. No traffic yet on TAC [01] or 08 TGs. I've heard traffic on W Valley, Simulcast G, Simulcast A sites.

KB7MIB

All Phoenix PD talkgroups are carried on Simulcast A in the City of Phoenix.
Phoenix PD 200 A/B, 300 A/B, 800 A/B, and 900 A/B are carried on Simulcast G, which covers the West Valley, due to their proximity to that simulcast system. (I've also caught 600 C, which is encrypted, on Simulcast G, but haven't caught 600 A/B yet.)
Phoenix PD 600 A/B and 700 A/B (and maybe 500 A/B) may be carried on Simulcast H in Scottsdale due to it's proximity to that simulcast system. (I'm too far from that system to monitor it.)
Phoenix PD 500 A/B and 700 A/B may be carried on Simulcast F in Tempe due to their proximity to that simulcast. (I'm too far from that system to monitor it.)
Phoenix PD 300 A/B and 400 A/B are currently carried on the South Mtn IR, which I can hear up here in Peoria.
Simulcast C in Chandler, Ahwatukee (Phoenix) and Maricopa is currently only carrying Chandler PD, but it probably had Phoenix PD 400 A/B and/or 500 A/B on it in the past.
The Phoenix PD C-deck tacs are encrypted, but should be carried on the same simulcasts and IR's that the A/B talkgroups are carried on.

Last edited:

Kars10az

I hear 400 A/B on A, F, South Mtn. and Chandler (which is currently undergoing maint). Every once in awhile, 400 will show up on B.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

As of the time of this post, here are how patches are set up. They change the patches all the time so these will be different in the future. If you have a Uniden scanner, it will only receive the talkgroups on the right ("To" side of patch). GRE scanners with current firmware will receive both talkgroups.

This is really annoying that Uniden still hasn't addressed this for P25 systems. They follow patches properly on Motorola Type II and EDACS, but not P25 system like the RWC. GRE fixed this over 4 years ago!

Attachments

• Patch List.JPG
    Patch List.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.