UHFBMLogger - Layout Feedback

pb_lonny

For the past 12 years, I had been working on a radio logging database in JustBasic, as a bit of a passion project. About a month ago I decided (with the help of ChatGPT) to rewrite this in Python and use SQLite3 as the database engine.

I am now to the point, after many late nights, of having this mostly done and a working version. I am about to complete this and then look at offering it for free to other radio enthusiasts, before I do this I need to settle on a layout. While I can write code well and create a function program, the layout and design area is not something I am that comfortable with and at times what works for me is not the best from an usability point of view.

I have come up with two different layout, which of these from a usability point of view makes more sense. I like both and each has it benefits.

A https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...XswJT0PgpJKFbw0UYqPR6-oS8vVrXeCWc/s1075/A.jpg

B

If anybody is interested, I have a page on my blog all about this program: UHFBMLogger - Radio Logging Database

ecps92

For the past 12 years, I had been working on a radio logging database in JustBasic, as a bit of a passion project. About a month ago I decided (with the help of ChatGPT) to rewrite this in Python and use SQLite3 as the database engine.

I am now to the point, after many late nights, of having this mostly done and a working version. I am about to complete this and then look at offering it for free to other radio enthusiasts, before I do this I need to settle on a layout. While I can write code well and create a function program, the layout and design area is not something I am that comfortable with and at times what works for me is not the best from an usability point of view.

I have come up with two different layout, which of these from a usability point of view makes more sense. I like both and each has it benefits.

A https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...XswJT0PgpJKFbw0UYqPR6-oS8vVrXeCWc/s1075/A.jpg

B

If anybody is interested, I have a page on my blog all about this program: UHFBMLogger - Radio Logging Database
Here in the states having fields for logged info as
PL/DPL/NAC, AM vs FM
would be handy, as multiple Depts share freqs

BinaryMode

Isn't it amazing? You spend 12 long years on something only to have AI code it up in a matter of seconds. LOL I know because I've been using ChatGPT to code up all kinds of stuff. It sometimes isn't perfect, so you have to explain what the issue is and any errors encountered and usually it'll correct the code to work.

ChatGPT has also helped me create regex for Notepad++ as I'm VERY regex stupid. Prior to ChatGPT I'd find myself sifting through Stack Exchange or one of its sibling website's for posts on Notepad++ regex, and Notepad++ forum posts just to find the regex I need. Now I just ask ChatGPT what my exact requirements are and out pops the regex. But again, sometimes it isn't perfect so you have to tell ChatGPT.

By the way, the program DB Browser for SQLite should open that database in case you wanted it. I use this program all the time. It's how I changed the default TeamSpeak ports for my TeamSpeak server at home. Now I just use Zerotier so no "hiding ports" in the either of 65,535 possible ports (for what ever that's worth)... The port configuration data is in the ts3server.sqlitedb file. This is the main config file and it's important to back it up to various CDNs and media. The DB Browser for SQLite program is also great for Firefox's settings and whatnot. Anyway...

I like the first image.

If it were me, and this is just me. I'd be apt to code that as a web-based application using HTML, JS, CSS and with the SQLite database sitting somewhere on the computer.

As it stands now only users willing to install Python in Windows or use Linux can use the program.

Question: Do you have a lot of these guys roaming around? :D

Edit-

Never mind. Just sped read through Wikipedia on the little endangered dudes and how they're pretty popular in your country.

Attachments

• taz.jpg
    taz.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BinaryMode

I feel the need to correct myself here. I said the following:

If it were me, and this is just me. I'd be apt to code that as a web-based application using HTML, JS, CSS and with the SQLite database sitting somewhere on the computer.

I asked ChatGPT if JS in a browser could access a SQLite database and the answer was no due to the browser's sandboxing and security considerations. So the next based thing in terms of a web-based application would be Electron.

I used ChatGPT last night and coded this up. LOL You can read the code by renaming the html extension to a .txt

Attachments

• ascii_sum.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 2
  • nxdn.jpg
    nxdn.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4

Reconrider

Inside the Galaxy
I feel the need to correct myself here. I said the following:

I asked ChatGPT if JS in a browser could access a SQLite database and the answer was no due to the browser's sandboxing and security considerations. So the next based thing in terms of a web-based application would be Electron.

I used ChatGPT last night and coded this up. LOL You can read the code by renaming the html extension to a .txt
Or if you're going the website route, you can just get a local server like winamp or xmpp and have a mysql database attach that to the website.

BinaryMode

Or if you're going the website route, you can just get a local server like winamp or xmpp and have a mysql database attach that to the website.

No, no backend. This code would be run locally in the browser where the code points to a SQLite database somewhere on your computer. I'm not sure if the SQLite database can be stuffed into the Electron code or not.

And it's XAMPP, and I use it all the time with all the PHP scripts I create with the help of ChatGPT. I even used XAMPP many Summers ago on a laptop to craft a phpBB driven forum much like this one. Once I was done I uploaded it to my host.

I use XAMPP for all kinds of things. Even testing phpBB installs before deployment. Though, I do have a domain accessible to only my IP address for such things as well.