Understanding MSCommNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegagnejr

I was hoping someone with a better understanding of MSCommNet can explain something to me as it pertains to programing for the Uniden SDS100 while using the Sentinel software.

I have each Maine State Police Zone saved as a "Favorite" in my SDS100. I change which zone I monitor based on my travels around the state. I saved each zone by clicking on the zone talk groups as shown circled below in blue and "appended" to each respective favorite list created. When I do so all of the tower sites listed starting with Ashland are saved in that respective favorite list. I then go in and delete the tower sites that do not correspond to that respective zone so they are not scanned therefore ensuring the scanner is not scanning frequencies that it is not possibly within reach of receiving transmissions from. When I click on each tower site it lists several frequencies within that I assume are scanned.

My question is....what are the "Region Nets" shown highlighted in yellow from my screen snip below? When I click on them I see within each listing each tower site (circled in red below) for that zone with only 1 frequency listed for each tower site. Would I be better off saving these to my respective favorites rather than the way I have it programmed currently? And if so why? I am just trying to program my scanner in the most optimal way possible so I do not miss any transmissions.

Thanks in advance for all information!

1614025476864.png

1614026270136.png

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Region Nets are the analog side of CommNet they are so counties can contact State Police if they need to etc.

The Stuff highlighted in Blue are the the talkgroups for the respected zones they encompass. I'd say delete the ones that aren't near you and only listen to the channels and talkgroups closet to you.

joegagnejr

Thanks for your response. That’s what I was thinking they were. So I will stick to the programming that I have right now.

Another question you possibly may know the answer to. I have been attempting to monitor zone 2 talk groups. Shouldn’t I be able to receive them from any tower site within the MSCommNet network? From my understanding of how this P25 system works I should be able to do that. But I’m not receiving any transmissions for those talk groups.

ecps92

You might want to browse over to

MSCOMMNET REGIONNETS
  • Each MSCommNet sites has an analog conventional RegionNet repeater for interoperability between state units operating on the digital system and local, county and federal agencies.
  • A conventional interop system is required as few, if any, local or county agencies are equipped with radios capable of P25 digital trunking.
  • RegionNets at 16 MSCommNet sites will also have a one-way analog simulcast of that zone's primary MSP talk group from the trunk system. Sites with this capability are marked SP.
  • This capability was added at the request of local and county law enforcement agencies that routinely monitor the State Police for information about state activity in their jurisdictions.
  • During testing, several RegionNets have been linked indicating that there are patch capabilities for wide area coverage.

I was hoping someone with a better understanding of MSCommNet can explain something to me as it pertains to programing for the Uniden SDS100 while using the Sentinel software.

I have each Maine State Police Zone saved as a "Favorite" in my SDS100. I change which zone I monitor based on my travels around the state. I saved each zone by clicking on the zone talk groups as shown circled below in blue and "appended" to each respective favorite list created. When I do so all of the tower sites listed starting with Ashland are saved in that respective favorite list. I then go in and delete the tower sites that do not correspond to that respective zone so they are not scanned therefore ensuring the scanner is not scanning frequencies that it is not possibly within reach of receiving transmissions from. When I click on each tower site it lists several frequencies within that I assume are scanned.

My question is....what are the "Region Nets" shown highlighted in yellow from my screen snip below? When I click on them I see within each listing each tower site (circled in red below) for that zone with only 1 frequency listed for each tower site. Would I be better off saving these to my respective favorites rather than the way I have it programmed currently? And if so why? I am just trying to program my scanner in the most optimal way possible so I do not miss any transmissions.

Thanks in advance for all information!

ecps92

No, there would be No Need for a zone to be transmitting in the area of another zone, unless
a. Radio Techs enable it [justification]
b. a Radio in Region A moves into Region B - and that Talkgroup is expressly allowed to be on the other zone.
Why tie up RF Channels out of the area.

Example - why should we in Eastern MASS have to suffer to the Traffic from Western MA [Yes, would be nice for me to listen] but now you are tieing up the RF / Voice channels [limited in each region] with traffic from outside the area.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your response. That’s what I was thinking they were. So I will stick to the programming that I have right now.

Another question you possibly may know the answer to. I have been attempting to monitor zone 2 talk groups. Shouldn’t I be able to receive them from any tower site within the MSCommNet network? From my understanding of how this P25 system works I should be able to do that. But I’m not receiving any transmissions for those talk groups.

joegagnejr

That’s a great resource that I didn’t know existed. Thanks for sharing!

QUOTE="ecps92, post: 3465981, member: 1210"]
You might want to browse over to

MSCOMMNET REGIONNETS
  • Each MSCommNet sites has an analog conventional RegionNet repeater for interoperability between state units operating on the digital system and local, county and federal agencies.
  • A conventional interop system is required as few, if any, local or county agencies are equipped with radios capable of P25 digital trunking.
  • RegionNets at 16 MSCommNet sites will also have a one-way analog simulcast of that zone's primary MSP talk group from the trunk system. Sites with this capability are marked SP.
  • This capability was added at the request of local and county law enforcement agencies that routinely monitor the State Police for information about state activity in their jurisdictions.
  • During testing, several RegionNets have been linked indicating that there are patch capabilities for wide area coverage.
[/QUOTE]

joegagnejr

Makes total sense. Thanks your sharing your knowledge and expertise!

QUOTE="ecps92, post: 3465983, member: 1210"]
No, there would be No Need for a zone to be transmitting in the area of another zone, unless
a. Radio Techs enable it [justification]
b. a Radio in Region A moves into Region B - and that Talkgroup is expressly allowed to be on the other zone.
Why tie up RF Channels out of the area.

Example - why should we in Eastern MASS have to suffer to the Traffic from Western MA [Yes, would be nice for me to listen] but now you are tieing up the RF / Voice channels [limited in each region] with traffic from outside the area.

Hope this helps
[/QUOTE]

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Few exceptions are Granite Hill, Whitten Hill, and Bald Mtn if I remember correctly.
Granite Hill and Whitten Hill sends both Zone 1 and Zone 2 Traffic.
Bald Mtn sends Zone 2 and Zone 3 traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.