Uniden 396-XT Reception Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

logginsmessina74

Premium Subscriber
I live just off hiway 94 in Maple Grove, I am just on the East side shore of Rice Lake. I have a two month old
Uniden 396-XT. I had Action Radio of Maple Grove program the radio of me. Since I purchased the radio two months ago, I have still to hear anything from the Maple Grove Police, or Fire. I brought the radio to Action Radio today, and they checked everything out. They told me I live in an area that just gets very bad reception.
I only wish I would of known about this reception thing before I spent $600.00. I asked the radio tech what can I do, ' he said, I could get some kind of antenna that is more powerful at pulling in 800MHZ channels. I told the radio tech, I have it up on ' Craigslist now, I think I am done with this scanning hobby, after 20 years. I told the tech, I thought when you purchased one of these high tech digital 800MHZ 1000 plus channel scanners that can do anything, ' BUT ONE IMPORTANT THING ' WORK; well my new scanner is up for sale on craigslist, it comes with everything. its new. check it out if you want. I live in Maple Grove, I have'nt heard a Police or fire call not once, it can't be that nice out here, the resturants are great.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Oh, and I should say, Action told me they could program my first digital when I got it like 9yrs ago...(I won't complain about their "skills" or ridiculous prices)

After that expierence, I never shopped there again. (My family, and I, had shopped with them for 20+yrs previous to that)

Last edited:

stmills

There is radio traffic in Maple Grove. From looking at a tower map you should be getting Hennepin Towers 201 on 852.3625 without an issue- the nearest site is at Hennepin County Sheriff Patrol Headquarters @ 169 & 83rd Ave.
I have spent a fair amount of time in the Maple Grove area from Arbor Lakes to the Maple Grove Hospital Area and never had reception problems, In fact I enjoy the area because I often can pick up Hennepin 202, Anoka County and Wright Sherburne system. If you are anybit interested in trying to get the 396xt working I think there are a number of us here who can probably get you up and running. I am not an expert on the 396xt but know the 396t very well. If you have software to download the current programming I would look at the set up to see if I can find what might be the issue.

MNGEARJAMMER

If you've been a scanner man for 20 years, please don't give up this easily. It sounds to me like your having more of an understanding your equipment problem than any thing. I'm not that familiar with the 396-XT, but I do know they are a dang good unit if you understand all the workings in them. Like Steve said, getting copy in Maple Grove just is'nt that tough. If law enforcement cars can hear dispatch with thier 4" coat hanger antenns, there is'nt any reason in the world why you can't hear them. Get ahold of Steve or NOWEF, and I know they can get you all ears in no time.

logginsmessina74

Premium Subscriber
Not being able to pic up PD across the street with New 396-XT

Well, I talked to a radio tech today about this, he told me that ' did you ever have a cell phone were your talking and the call just drops off? I said yes, and he said ' how about between two buildings, and your cell might show NO SERVICE, he said ' this is what can happen in digital scanners, no matter how bad and big they are. If you are in a area, were for some reason you can not get Maple Grove's PD, you are in an area were there is what is called a dead spot, he asked if I tryd the scanner in the parking lot of the Maple Grove Police Department, I said yes, I told him it pic up everything, so he said let me check your scanner for tower availablity, he did he said thats perfect. He checked firm ware, fine. He told me you have to get an antenna that gets more pull in power for the area you live in. So he told me to call Scannermaster and he said tell them and they will fix you up with just the right antenna to do the job. He told me it will still be portable, but not were I live, now I have a Discone hanging in my garage upside down, but it sure works great now it looks wierd but, it works fantastic. I don't miss or get any interference at all. Scannermaster told me these things pull in great.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Well he is right, there are places where the signal is poor. However, a better antenna could help greatly. The antenna that Uniden ships with the scanner is pretty much worthless for 800mhz. I would recommend going to Radio Shack and getting one of their 800mhz antennas. Many people are using this antenna with good results.

Here's a link to it on their website, but they stock them in store so you should be able to just go pick one up.

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102525

Your scanner should have come with an SMA to BNC adapter, you will need that to use this antenna.

Like Steve said, make sure the control channel you are trying to pick up is 852.3625. The issue could well be with the programming. I haven't seen the file that Action uses. I'm currently in the process of updating my programming file and I will share it when I'm done with it. It's very easy to program these scanners yourself using Freescan.

Also, it looks like there is going to be a get-together on Feb.25th. Location hasn't been determined yet, but these meetings are a great way to get help and meet others that are in the scanner and ham radio hobby.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KC0FZZ

Well, I talked to a radio tech today about this, he told me that ' did you ever have a cell phone were your talking and the call just drops off? I said yes, and he said ' how about between two buildings, and your cell might show NO SERVICE, he said ' this is what can happen in digital scanners, no matter how bad and big they are. If you are in a area, were for some reason you can not get Maple Grove's PD, you are in an area were there is what is called a dead spot, he asked if I tryd the scanner in the parking lot of the Maple Grove Police Department, I said yes, I told him it pic up everything, so he said let me check your scanner for tower availablity, he did he said thats perfect. He checked firm ware, fine. He told me you have to get an antenna that gets more pull in power for the area you live in. So he told me to call Scannermaster and he said tell them and they will fix you up with just the right antenna to do the job. He told me it will still be portable, but not were I live, now I have a Discone hanging in my garage upside down, but it sure works great now it looks wierd but, it works fantastic. I don't miss or get any interference at all. Scannermaster told me these things pull in great.

Not trying to kick a hornets nest here, but...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the radio tech at action radio suggest you take the same course of action? "You need an antenna that works on 800MHz" just like the discone? Just saying, that's all. I used to meet people all the time at my last job who "knew what the h**l they were talking about". Inevitably, they would end up destroying what they were trying to fix and the smoke would come rolling out.

Then they would come back with their hat in their hands, humbled, and ask me if I could sell them a new [insert household product here].

Oh well. At least I made a littel more money for their trouble.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Well he is right, there are places where the signal is poor. However, a better antenna could help greatly. The antenna that Uniden ships with the scanner is pretty much worthless for 800mhz. I would recommend going to Radio Shack and getting one of their 800mhz antennas. Many people are using this antenna with good results.

Here's a link to it on their website, but they stock them in store so you should be able to just go pick one up.

800MHz Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

Your scanner should have come with an SMA to BNC adapter, you will need that to use this antenna.

Like Steve said, make sure the control channel you are trying to pick up is 852.3625. The issue could well be with the programming. I haven't seen the file that Action uses. I'm currently in the process of updating my programming file and I will share it when I'm done with it. It's very easy to program these scanners yourself using Freescan.

Also, it looks like there is going to be a get-together on Feb.25th. Location hasn't been determined yet, but these meetings are a great way to get help and meet others that are in the scanner and ham radio hobby.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

He already has the rs800 (Just an fyi)

Here's the setup from CL

Attachments

• 396.png
    396.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 458

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Just a question... If you got everything fixed and working, why are you reposting your ad?

I nearly called shenanigans last time due to ads/and posts saying different things,(and how scannermaster fixed you up in less then 12hrs, and the disposable Email addr.) but now I just want to watch out for the community.

Anyways, if anyone tries to buy it, please meet him at a police station.

Attachments

• 396xt.png
    396xt.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 470
Status
Not open for further replies.