BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden 436 Issues-Would like to reset radio.

TLones1480

Hello:
I bought a Uniden 436 Handheld Scanner from Amazon about a year ago. I found that the sd card provided only limited local scanning and other services that hardly ever scan anything. I just this last week bought a new SD card from Scanner Master with Stark and Summit County Ohio programmed along with some updated features, etc. Today I was listening and went to the services list, and a number of them were "greylined" out when they had not been before. An Idea I had:If I replace the new card with the original (That came with the radio) and reset everything to factory settings, then replaced the card as if it was new, would it help anything?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to apologize upfront for being a bit harsh....

Have you installed Sentinel?
Are you aware that the entire (updated weekly) database is accessible through Sentinel?
Why would you go and purchase any pre-programed SD card when you already have the exact same data available for free and can easily do it yourself (and learn how things work to boot)?

If you have no idea what Sentinel is, I or someone here will be glad to help you

https://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD536HP/BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_05_03.zip

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
I hope you didn't pay too much for what you got. You could pick up a brand new 8GB from Amazon for under $7 and program it yourself with the free Uniden software. Truth is, the original SD card you already have comes with the setup files for Sentinal. If you don't like the idea of programming, you can just use the full database and turn on the service types on the scanner itself, and use the ZIP code feature for location.

TLones1480

Well, I paid about $95 all told for Scanner Master to program it, I got a bit familiar with Sentinel a couple weeks ago but I couldn't get the hang of how it all went together with the SD Card and Radio. Just now after I posted this thread I revisited Sentinel..I am understanding it a bit better, and will probably get a larger sdhc card to add several more counties to my radio. I appreciate any help and ideas..Thanks for the tips so far.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Well, I paid about $95 all told for Scanner Master to program it, I got a bit familiar with Sentinel a couple weeks ago but I couldn't get the hang of how it all went together with the SD Card and Radio. Just now after I posted this thread I revisited Sentinel..I am understanding it a bit better, and will probably get a larger sdhc card to add several more counties to my radio. I appreciate any help and ideas..Thanks for the tips so far.

First: You don't need a bigger card unless you plan to record. The card it came with will hold waaaaay more favorite lists than you will ever program. And remember, you can always get a bigger card (32Mb limit) later, because using Sentinel or your computer, you can just copy what you have over to a new one - or keep a back-up (recommended!!)

When you plug the USB (mini) cord into the computer and radio, it will ask you if you want to put it into mass storage mode. Press E for yes.

Now, if you look at your file explorer, you will see the SD card 'mounted' as a readable/writable drive. All Sentinel does is read/write using USB. You can even remove the card and use a card reader and Sentinel will see it.

Here is a place to start where to learn about programming favorite lists. It really is easy, once you get the hang of it.

BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

Last edited:

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
You don't need a bigger card at all, unless you plan on recording EVERYTHING you hear. Even then, you have enough space for a couple months worth with the card you already have.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Today I was listening and went to the services list, and a number of them were "greylined" out when they had not been before.
You might be seeing some of those grayed out because they are out of range. If you are using location control, where you specify your location, and enter a range, systems, sites, and Departments that are outside the range details you set will not be scanned. See this webpage for an explanation of how the location settings work: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Also, remember that you must also enable the Service Types for what you want to hear. When the scanner is first shipped, as well as when Sentinel is first installed, only public safety dispatch service types are enabled: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-DIspatch. For each of those categories, you should also enable the Talk & Tac service types: Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
With this being one of your first posts, I'm presuming you are a new user. Scanners these days are very complex and have a big learning curve.

If your computer has a card reader, I would recommend using Windows Explorer with the scanner in Mass Storage Mode, to make a copy of the SD card to a folder on your computer's hard drive as a backup. That way you will have a good "fall back" in case you goof up later programming (it happens to all of use.)

While pricey and something that you may eventually learn, having a card programmed by Scannermaster or a place like that, is probably good. That way you can use Sentinel to read the programming and see how someone has done it.

If you "re-set" the radio (as in erasing all Favorites Lists), you have thrown out something you paid for. So be really sure you want to do that.

The good news is that YouTube has lots of good "how to" videos on programming your scanner.

Lastly, yet another reason why some Service Types may be grayed-out is because there are no channels programmed using the given Service Type. So if that pre-programmed SD card doesn't have any channels with the "Ham" Service Type, the Ham Service Type is grayed out. (As in why turn a Service Type on when there are no channels to monitor.)

TLones1480

Update:
Went out to WalMart and picked up a 32GB Sandisk Micro Card and a Vivitar Card Reader I am about to head into Sentinel and see where I can go from there..Thanks for the tips guys.