Uniden and GRE, pay attention to this--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
The Sky's the limit.....

In place of an SD port, I'll take a USB port ver 2.0 or above on the front face. In addition, a Hybrid of Dynamic memory and V-Cards would supplement the hardware very nicely.

So the process would be

1. Edits on your home PC/Laptop
2. System/Group Files saved on the USB Flash Stick
3. Finally, the scanner unit would have a menu function that would allow you to save, copy, and delete the files to and fro from the stick.
4. One should also be able to do Firmware upgrades from the USB Flash Stick.

This would do away with having to lug around a 2 lb laptop with you especially when it comes to a semi-permanently installed mobile unit.

A scanner that plays mp3 songs might also come in handy ;-)

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
To prevent duplicate topics, I have merged the above 18 posts into this already existing topic.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I was not thinking of a FLASH memory feature so that a 32M SD card could be used; that seems crazy (at least right now). I was thinking about having a few cards that I've pre-programmed, one for each area/profile. Then I could swap them out. Sure you can put it all on one card and have profile selection options, but to me that is not as tidy or versatile.

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
1. Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP
2. Charging Base/dock; Desktop and mobile (can be accessory items)
3. Additional backlight control; Channel selective - Dim; Brighter; flashing, selectable
timing, color choices channel selective
4. If software programmable, user selectable fonts, Logos, Jpg's, total user control of
screen displays.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Jay said:
- On-board audio recording.

I posted this quite some time ago, and it wasn't until today that it became apparent to me why this would never fly. Not for a technological or popularity standpoint, mind you, but a legal one.

In another discussion on these forums, the properties of a scanner (in legal terms) are being outlined. One of the things that allows a scanner to be legal, at least in Canada, is the inability to record its transmissions. (This is a bit of a fuzzy summary, but it fits the description and makes my point.) It's likely that a scanner with the ability to save the audio signal for playback later would violate privacy laws in several countries/regions.

57Bill

uniden and GRE - "scanner that does everything"

Many years ago, Grove tried to come up with a scanning receiver that "did everything". He ran out of money, and decided that if he could get such a receiver to market, the cost would leave most would-be buyers out.
Uniden and GRE joining forces would be like Ford and GM doing the same. Not likely.

safetyobc

Doesn't the Icom R20 have this capability?

Jay said:
I posted this quite some time ago, and it wasn't until today that it became apparent to me why this would never fly. Not for a technological or popularity standpoint, mind you, but a legal one.

In another discussion on these forums, the properties of a scanner (in legal terms) are being outlined. One of the things that allows a scanner to be legal, at least in Canada, is the inability to record its transmissions. (This is a bit of a fuzzy summary, but it fits the description and makes my point.) It's likely that a scanner with the ability to save the audio signal for playback later would violate privacy laws in several countries/regions.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see more 'sleuthing' features. Consider all of the functions that you need to carry a laptop and a 'tapped' radio, now import that functionality into a single radio. GRE has done a great job with ther Pro-97 in it's ability to sleuth LTR systems and assist in determining LCN order.

I'd like to see a radio that incorporates multi-site trunking, with the ability to search and store TGIDs. I would also like the store to associate the TGID with the CC on which it was monitored, so we could get some real good information in creating multi-site configs...

I'd like to see a radio that allowed simultaneous close call autostore and custom search auto store.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I never thought much of an SD or XD card on a scanner, until I saw a friends Magellan eXplorist GPS that had an SD card slot. He could hold detailed maps of the entire CONUS on a 2GB card. That got me thinking about having one of those on a scanner.

Think about all the V-scanner folders you could store on even a 256MB card. For a business trip I recently went on, I ended up having to delete and reprogram half of my PRO-96's V-scanner folders. With a SD or XD card slot, you'd only have to reprogram V-scanner folders when you changed them. Not to mention, think of the other storage - banks, talkgroups, et al, that you could put on a card.

Also, you could program the card by putting it in a reader hooked up to your computer. No more having to drag the laptop out to the car to program that PRO-2096 that is installed in the dash!

The idea definately has some merit!

Warren

SCPD

QRT
What I would pay a little more for ...

A dashboard mounted scanner that you could listen to the broadcast bands with, and would interrupt the AM/FM with anything that breaks the squelch on the scanner side of the radio. With a CD player would be even sweeter. Slide your mix CD in it, and listen to music until the squelch opens on the scanner.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Kenwood RZ1

Wyandotte said:
A dashboard mounted scanner that you could listen to the broadcast bands with, and would interrupt the AM/FM with anything that breaks the squelch on the scanner side of the radio. With a CD player would be even sweeter. Slide your mix CD in it, and listen to music until the squelch opens on the scanner.
You mean something similar to this (Kenwood RZ1):

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/rz1.htm

PS. With the scanner kicking in every time it broke squelch, where I live (Los Angeles, CA), I would never get to listen to the AM/FM/CD/MP3 player. I would say for that to be a selectable option (on/off).

Last edited:

n5ims

How about a 'rewind' button?

With the additional memory from the external card, how about saving the audio (and data on where it came from) so you can replay it later? I often miss a comment and wish I could rewind and replay it to get another listen (just like with my DVR). Allow the user to define an area of the memory card for digital audio (and it's associated data) and save the transmissions until erased or that area is full.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
You have to realize that by including any of the above mentioned features would elevate the level of complexity and difficulty programming it.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
every action has an equal an opposite reaction. the more functions you put in the more problems you run into. I would not spend the extra hundred dollars for the 396 over the frequent sale price of the Pro96. So most of these gimmicks can be left off and keep the price reasonable.

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Umm...

Jay said:

Alinco DJX-2000 has the ability to record.

http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

"REC" above the "0" button is short for Record.

The unblocked version can be obtained easily from Radioworld in Toronto.

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPath=2_209&products_id=459

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Everybody's got a brain....but...but....but.....

mfn002 said:
You have to realize that by including any of the above mentioned features would elevate the level of complexity and difficulty programming it.

Not necessarily. Your car is a million times more complex, but a 12 yr old -- granted he can reach the controls -- can drive it (think mini cooper). Ask your average 35 yr coworker to outline verbally what the process is that takes the 'gas' and turns it into a form that makes the wheels turn --- and see what kind of answer you get......lol....

The same 12 yr old can probably build the PC, load core software on it, and then program that complex scanner for you before you can even figure out where the "on" button is....

Last edited:

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
57Bill said:
Many years ago, Grove tried to come up with a scanning receiver that "did everything". He ran out of money, and decided that if he could get such a receiver to market, the cost would leave most would-be buyers out.
Uniden and GRE joining forces would be like Ford and GM doing the same. Not likely.

I wonder how much a 396T would have cost many years ago....as well as how big it would have been....?

I remember paying $2500 for a 486DX2 (2 megs of ram/and something like a 50 meg hard drive - don't trust my own memory) Desktop computer, and nearly $500 for an HP 500c Colorjet printer.

I now have a PDA with a 300mhz CPU, a 2 gig SD card, and a lithium-Ion battery pack. I can make calls on it, surf the internet, reply to threads like this on RR, check the weather, e-mail, listen to streamed scanners anywhere in the world, take pictures with it, take movies with it, use it as a remote control for my tv, program it to run a tiny robot, play 1 of about 20 mp3 songs I have stored, check the internet security cameras around the perimeter of my house, oh and print to a Bluetooth enabled printer....all this while sitting on the porcelain throne. Cost, $299.

Uniden and GRE can always sell their technology. GM, Ford, BMW, DCX, Porsche...etc....do it all the time....to each other. For example, you can find the letters VVT/VVTi on some GM valve covers....guess who developed this system of variable valve timing, and guess how GM got a hold of this technology....

And the manufacturer of the engine underneath that Saturn Vue Redline is............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.