Uniden BC125AT static when moving

Vinnieg

when driving, it seems the faster you go to the more static comes on the scanner when there is a transmission. Is there anyway for the static to not be there, as if I was home and it’s perfectly clear. I have the base antenna it comes with if that helps. New to scanners!

a417

when driving, it seems the faster you go to the more static comes on the scanner when there is a transmission.
Drive slower? j/k
Is there anyway for the static to not be there, as if I was home and it’s perfectly clear.
Ok, so you're getting static in your car. It could be a myriad of things, it'll be on you to find the source.

What kind of car (and engine?)
LED headlights?
Aftermarket LED autozone-grade auxiliary/fog lamps?
Plug in cellphone charger/USB power supply?
Does the static go away when the radio is on, and the car is completely off?
Is the static there when the car is on, at idle?
Does the static change when the vehicle is in park, but not at idle? (increase with engine RPM?)
Does it increase in gear, and moving (wheel speed dependant?)
What is the power source?
What antenna?

These are just some of the questions you will have to do a little bit of legwork on, so that the hive-mind can try to figure it out.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like just some picket fencing with the radio signals being blocked as you drive. When riding by stuff like buildings it will cause a momentarily loss of signal. Picket fencing has quicker fluttering on UHF.

Just google the term picket fencing.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is there anyway for the static to not be there, as if I was home and it’s perfectly clear. I have the base antenna it comes with if that helps. New to scanners!
Welcome to the RR forums. Stop using the rubber duck stock antenna within your vehicle, get an external antenna at the center of your roof. Though you'll still hear "picket fencing" with more distant signals as you're moving it shouldn't nearly be what you're probably facing now. No it will never be as perfect if you're stationary at home but it'll be a significant improvement. Signals come and go as you move

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I had a similar situation with static, it was a sign to get a tune up, new sparkplugs, no static.

Other is since it moving, being bounced around could it be the internal solder connection is cracked from the antenna to the pc board? Common item too is people using the antenna as a handle to carry the radio around, stress is put on the connection.

Bob1955

Drive slower? j/k

Ok, so you're getting static in your car. It could be a myriad of things, it'll be on you to find the source.

What kind of car (and engine?)
LED headlights?
Aftermarket LED autozone-grade auxiliary/fog lamps?
Plug in cellphone charger/USB power supply?
Does the static go away when the radio is on, and the car is completely off?
Is the static there when the car is on, at idle?
Does the static change when the vehicle is in park, but not at idle? (increase with engine RPM?)
Does it increase in gear, and moving (wheel speed dependant?)
What is the power source?
What antenna?

These are just some of the questions you will have to do a little bit of legwork on, so that the hive-mind can try to figure it out.
Great points, a417 and VERY well written too.
Have a great St. Patrick's Day.