Uniden BC365CRS issue

Rgreist524

Hello,

I’m new when it comes to scanners and I recently got the Uniden BC365CRS scanner. Im having one issue, so I’m hoping someone can help me!

I’m in the Schuyler County area of upstate New York. And I have all of my local law enforcement and fire/EMS frequencies programmed in the scanner. Everything is coming through just fine except for one particular frequency, which is the one I want the most. Frequency 155.250 is all static. I tried adjusting the squelch and nothing comes through, just static. I have tried a different antenna, didn’t work. I tried doing a factory reset on the scanner, and still did not work.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this!!!

tvengr

Well Known Member
You should ask this be moved to NY forum. Looks like there are P25 emissions on the license. Maybe someone in NY forum can confirm?
I agree! That frequency is licensed for P25 which is digital. The BC365CRS is analog only. Someone in the New York forum will be better equipped to answer if that is the case. Click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the New York forum. Welcome to Radio reference!

Last edited:

Rgreist524

I agree! That frequency is licensed for P25 which is digital. The BC365CRS is analog only. Someone in the New York forum will be better equipped to answer if that is the case. Click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the New York forum. Welcome to Radio reference!

I don't see where this frequency is licensed for P25.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Let's not get too bogged down in the licenses showing only digital emissions, as neither license has ever had analog emissions on them despite the reported usage being analog. The fact that Schulyer's two licenses for 155.250 are actually licensed to Chemung County should be enough of a reason not to rely too much on what you see on "paper". 155.250 is listed as analog Fire Paging for Schuyler County, and so far no one has made any submissions to the contrary.

Rgreist524

Let's not get too bogged down in the licenses showing only digital emissions, as neither license has ever had analog emissions on them despite the reported usage being analog. The fact that Schulyer's two licenses for 155.250 are actually licensed to Chemung County should be enough of a reason not to rely too much on what you see on "paper". 155.250 is listed as analog Fire Paging for Schuyler County, and so far no one has made any submissions to the contrary.
Would you be able to help me understand why my scanner (Uniden BC365CRS) is not picking up that frequency. I have no issues picking up any of the other frequencies for Schuyler County. But 155.250 is all static. I have tried adjusting the squelch, a different antenna and doing a factory reset and still doesn’t work.

If I turn the squelch all the way counter-clockwise I can hear traces of voices but it is not clear.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Is the static still present with no antenna attached?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Would you be able to help me understand why my scanner (Uniden BC365CRS) is not picking up that frequency. I have no issues picking up any of the other frequencies for Schuyler County. But 155.250 is all static. I have tried adjusting the squelch, a different antenna and doing a factory reset and still doesn’t work.

If I turn the squelch all the way counter-clockwise I can hear traces of voices but it is not clear.
If you hear "traces of voice" then it's still analog and not P25. Hard to say what's causing the issue. I realize that it's a clock radio scanner and thus not portable, but I would try moving it to a different room or bring it to someone else's house to test that frequency to rule out local interference.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Maybe OP can post a small recording of the “static” to determine if it is static or the sound of digital on an analog channel. Have heard people who don't know what digital sound like call it static.

I’m not able to fcc that freq at the moment but is it possible since that scanner does not accept pl tones, that the traces of voice with squelch all the way down could be a different agency that uses the freq?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It would be super odd to have a Fire Paging channel be converted to P25, especially in a county that probably doesn't have the financial resources to a) convert all of the infrastructure to P25 or b) replace hundreds of volunteer firefighters' analog pagers with Unication G Series to decode QCII over P25. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that it's improbable.

By the way, Chemung County also uses 155.250 for paging. Different PL, but since the OP's scanner isn't capable of PL/DPL, that doesn't do him much good and is probably what he's hearing down in the noise.

Perhaps the county has switched to a different frequency for paging, although nothing jumps out at me with their licenses.

What we really need is for another local to chime in to confirm whether 155.250 is still on the air for paging in Schuyler County.

k2hz

Database Admin
155.250 is analog paging in both Chemung and Schuyler Counties on separate licenses from the P25 system which does not use that frequency. No known P25 use in the area.
I suspect you have some local interference source on 155.250. Possibly even some electronic device in you house.

Rgreist524

If you hear "traces of voice" then it's still analog and not P25. Hard to say what's causing the issue. I realize that it's a clock radio scanner and thus not portable, but I would try moving it to a different room or bring it to someone else's house to test that frequency to rule out local interference.
I know it’s not intended for portable use. I have tried taking it to my friends house who has a similar scanner. Same frequency programed, same room and it still does not work.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So his scanner is picking up Schuyler County Fire Paging on 155.250 clearly, but your scanner is not, even when they are in the same room? That is bizarre. If you were having issues with other frequencies as well it would make more sense. How does the nearest NOAA weather radio come in on your scanner vs his scanner?

Rgreist524

So his scanner is picking up Schuyler County Fire Paging on 155.250 clearly, but your scanner is not, even when they are in the same room? That is bizarre. If you were having issues with other frequencies as well it would make more sense. How does the nearest NOAA weather radio come in on your scanner vs his scanner?
Weather station comes through just fine, a tiny bit of static but nothing like 155.250 is giving me.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
When I disconnect the antenna, there is no static.
Then maybe the radio has an internal birdie blocking 155.25. With no antenna and squelch set to minimum you should hear noise when the volume is turned up.

Rgreist524

Then maybe the radio has an internal birdie blocking 155.25. With no antenna and squelch set to minimum you should hear noise when the volume is turned up.

Im sorry. I was wrong. I miss informed you all.
When I disconnect the antenna, the static is still there and it is more intense (louder).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When I disconnect the antenna, the static is still there and it is more intense (louder).
Yeah if you're hearing static/noise with the antenna disconnected and the squelch turned up, it's likely an internal issue with the scanner OR an extremely strong source of local interference. Try the antenna off experiment in a different location to see if it persists.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Now that we have the correct info...my reason for asking this was I seem to remember an older dual-conversion Uniden I had it had a birdie on 155.250.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I recently got the Uniden BC365CRS scanner
Ah, I completely missed this key bit of info. I mistakenly though that the frequency had been coming in well until recently. Yeah, it's a birdie. Nothing you can do about it except to go with a different model scanner that doesn't have the issue on 155.250. Rotten luck.