Uniden BC396XT-CA. CHP Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezoome

Hi Gang,
I just started to program my new BC396-XT scanner using Pro Arc software inconjuction with the database from Radio Reference.
The scanner has definitley been an eye and mind opener from back in the day when I owned a BCT100 scanner and you punch in one freq at a time and it worked. The good ol days..

Please excuse my ignorance but I have a USB Serial cable I purchased from Scanner Masters and did the Driver update. The two communicate with eqch other using com-3 @115k baud rate.
I then go into the Pro Arc software and connect to there database and but in my state and choose the counties and then upload the freqs to my new scanner.

There are questions about quick keys and other little quirky things that I an sure I am not doing. I dont pick up alot of stuff being in the San Joaquin area so I programed some bay area stuff and it hits once in a whie but not as much as I would think with all of the freqs and counties that I had uploading into my unit.
I guess Ill figure out by trial and error what I am screwing up.

One thing I was hoping you savy scanner people would be able to simply tell me how to do step by step if possible would be how in the world do I program the Entire state of Calif. Highway patrol units and make those channels easy to access once there programmed. There is no where in the Radio Ref for CHP freqs or how to program there units. Back in the day they used a base and mobile seperate channel for each area. I know that they still kind of use that freq. technology but not sure how that should be entered into my unit BCD396XT.

I am dazed and confused and can use some guidance. I am willing to pay anyone who knows the ins and outs of this scanner for your time. If it is quite envolved or you have some extra time to step me through the basics of this scanner maybe we can setup some time.

My email is ezoome1@att.net and I will give you my number from there. I will pay you via Paypal!!

Thanks Mucho' Everyone!! for listening and look forward some day of talking shop once I figure out all of the different types of systems that are being used.

Sincerely, Alan in Lathrop, Ca.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In regards to quick keys, read this article from our wiki...(anything in blue is a link)

Systems Sites and Groups- the RR Wiki

Unless you are constantly going back and forth throughout the entire state, I'm unsure why you would want the entire state to be programmed. Especially considering the fact that the little antenna you get with handhelds is extremely inefficient at VHF lo band freqs (which, if last I looked, is where CHP still has a lot of it's operations). Certainly a better antenna is called for, but whether you are using this at home or in a car, wasn't mentioned.

No doubt someone in our California forum would be able to point you in the right direction re specific programming tips for CHP.

73 (best regards) Mike

Last edited:

ezoome

CHP Programing for a BC396xt

Thanks Mike for the reply,
I understand that a handheld (BC396XT) would not be my best bet for picking up VHF signals I beleive is what the california CHP use. I know a stronger external VHF antenna for the outside on the vehicle is a start.

I travel quite a bit via the highway mainly in Northen California to mobily repair factory car stereos, Factory Cds, Navi and video sytsems. I run accross the CHP quite a bit with shooting there Lidar, Laser and K band guns hidden in nooks and crannies. I thought it would be great to hear some type of traffic coming from a chipper so I can kinda get an idea when to slow down since there signals dont have much of a VHF radius. My radar detector can only do so much so having a little more defensive weapons on my side would be helpfut

All I am asking is if there is anyone out there who has programed a BC396XT for CHP Northern Cal. preferably.

I want to know the steps they took to get those codes into the scanner or did they just program the base and mobile frequencies in manually just like the good ol days. I am using ARC XT Pro and an trying to figure out a simpler route to get these channels like San Joaquin, Contra Costa, Stockton, Sacramento ect. counties into my mobile unit. I have searched high and low in RadioReference and on line and just cannot find any information or maybe nobody can track the CHP so I am just spinning my wheels.

Thanks to anyone if they have any solutions,

Sincerely,

Alan

JoeyC

I guess I am missing something here. You say you are using ARC XT Pro but want to know if you have to program CHP in manually? The answer is no, let ARC program the CHP if you have the software.

As far as thinking you will be able to beat speed traps by listening, think again. They may notify the dispatcher over the air they are doing traffic enforcement at the beginning of their shift and sit there for hours passing out tickets without uttering a word over the radio.

Airdoggy

The BCD346xt would have no problem picking of the CHP, but if you intend to use it in an attempt to avoid a speeding ticket, it probably won't do you much good. The CHP is one of the few agencies that do not call in all their vehicle stops. So in theory, a CHP officer could go 10-8 (in service) write 20 citations in a 10-12 hour period and go 10-10 (out of service) and you would never know where they were. It would still be a great scanner for monitoring CHP incidents, etc, and you would know at least some officers were tasked with different calls and may not be in position to write citations. Then again, you wouldn't know how many officers were still on patrol and waiting to make friends with you. IMO, you are better off slowing down and just monitoring the incidents to avoid a possible major traffic jam.

Last edited:

ezoome

Thanks for the input guys. Yes it probably is a pipe dream to track a CHP but at the least I would love to figure out at the least how and where to get those CHP channels easily programmed using ProAcc XT software into my BC396XT from you guys with all of the smarts!! Please share the wealth of knowledge to a newbie scanner brother.

JoeyC I am using the Arc Pro software as a beginner. Joey if you would be so kind and a few simple steps guide me to where I can gets the frequencies from the Radio Reference Dbase.

Using the ARC-Pro XT program I am a premium memberof Radio Reference but when I pull up>Internet>Radio Reference>State-California >Put im my Name and Password it ask?Select State>(California) County>("Sacarmento"- (for example) Agency>Then you select a tab labeled from : Conventional Frequencies>Agencies>Trunk Options then once you select what ever agencies you selected you "Import" them and then upload them into your scanner.
There is no where in the database where I am looking that pops up a list of CHP frequencies in any county in California or other tabs, file, groups, pull down bars that I could find to get any CHP frequencies to program into my unit. It has been very frustrating and the grey matter is thinning rapidly.
I am hoping to anyone who has had to have programmed the CHP using the ARC-Pro software in there sleep!! .

Also, I might not even be going the correct route utilizing the Pro Arc XT program for programmming CHP channels. I know there are a brilliant sharp minds out there that may laugh at my ignorance but I hope that if and when I become competent in using my scanner I would defintley take a few minutes to help out a fellow scanner enthusiast like myself and share a tip or two with you.

I must be missing a major step some where because I cannot find the CHP frequencies any where in the Radio Forums database. If someone can guide me over my ignorance and tell me specifically where the CHP channels are hiding and or how I can simply program them into my BC396xt I would be forever greatful.

PLEASE HELP!!! Going Crazy!!

Last edited:

kcoleman

ezoome,

Not familiar with the ARC software package, but once you get logged in, instead of selecting a county, there should be another drop down menu where you can select state agencies and I think you will find CHP listed there.

Good Luck,
Keith

N8IAA

I find that learning to navigate the RR maze is the fun part. I am helping someone to program their 106. Went to check what they had for CHP, and went right to the frequencies for all of CA. Yellow highlighted area beneath the state of CA with updates on the CHP. Click on the link, and BAM, there you are:D
Larry

Oh, and www.scannow.org is truly the cheap way to navigate the newer Uniden scanners.

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Since this is a Statewide agency in ARC select State = 'CA / California' and then in the 'Agency' list you select 'Department of the Highway Patrol (CHP) and that will load all CHP data/

Gommert
Butel Software

ezoome

You guya are amazing!

Now on to Chapter 2.

Wondering if I should have taken up beer pong instead!

I am sure you will be hearing from me soon.

Thank you all for your time and efforts!

Sincerley,

Alan EzoomE

Status
Not open for further replies.