Uniden BC80XLT Broken or Just a clueless owner

toploader

Hi. Recently got a Uniden BC80XLT and I can't get it to do anything. It does turn on and was scanning. Though not picking anything up. I have since reset the scanner, but still nothing happens. It's as if the keypad is broken. No audio from presses, and no response from any key press. But funny enough it did reset when I pressed manual / 2 / and 9 together when turning it on.

There is a squelch noise when the knob is turned all the way round. Can anybody help.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Hi. Recently got a Uniden BC80XLT and I can't get it to do anything. It does turn on and was scanning. Though not picking anything up. I have since reset the scanner, but still nothing happens. It's as if the keypad is broken. No audio from presses, and no response from any key press. But funny enough it did reset when I pressed manual / 2 / and 9 together when turning it on.

There is a squelch noise when the knob is turned all the way round. Can anybody help.t it does a key pad lock
I don't have that model, but it does have key pad lock it might be on

toploader

I don't have that model, but it does have key pad lock it might be on
Tried it. Pressed and pressed, nothing. No icon for the keylock comes up or goes away. Just nothing reponds. Broken keypad maybe. The condition of the scanner is very good. But the battery compartment is quite poor. Some green powder from batteries etc.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Uniden BC80XLT Broken or Just a clueless owner​

WIthout us knowing about you, we can't assert to whether or not your clueless.

All jokes aside,

I have since reset the scanner, but still nothing happens.

It's as if the keypad is broken.
So it's safe to assume it did not reset. If your handy, you might try to see if there is a ribbon cable from the keypad to the circuit board and see if its seated. If your good with that stuff, try unseating and reseating it.

toploader

WIthout us knowing about you, we can't assert to whether or not your clueless.

All jokes aside,

So it's safe to assume it did not reset. If your handy, you might try to see if there is a ribbon cable from the keypad to the circuit board and see if its seated. If your good with that stuff, try unseating and reseating it.
Ha yeah. I'm not clueless with other scanners, just Unidens! I think it did reset. Because everything went back to zeros. But thanks Dave. Yes, I might take a look at that.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It also shows "L/O" which. means lock out. I don't know if that means keyboard lockout or just channel lockout on that particular model.

Green crud in battery compartment is not good at all. Especially if it contacts a circuit board.

Were it me, I would take it apart and clean it. But not knowing your skills,, you should have uniden clean it and fix it.

toploader

It also shows "L/O" which. means lock out. I don't know if that means keyboard lockout or just channel lockout on that particular model.

Green crud in battery compartment is not good at all. Especially if it contacts a circuit board.

Were it me, I would take it apart and clean it. But not knowing your skills,, you should have uniden clean it and fix it.
Thanks. I think lock out means on this model that there isn't any frequency assigned to the channel. Scanner has been reset. So it's an unused channel and shows as locked out [until a frequency is assigned]. Key lock would show a key icon on the screen. But yeah, I might do what you suggested. Take it apart and give it a good clean. Thanks.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar thing happen on a 200xlt after i reset it and the "9" button had stuck when i reset it. Keyboard seemed unresponsive, and i kept pressing on each button and the 9 had stuck down somehow and after pressing and wiggling it popped back up inside and hasn't done it since

tvengr

Well Known Member
The L/O and all zeroes usually means that no frequencies are programmed. The wiki for that scanner shows it only has a 3 day memory backup. If batteries are dead for longer than 3 days and you are not on external power, you will lose everything programmed into the scanner. Resetting the scanner usually erases the programming. The memory backup is probably done by a large value electrolytic capacitor. If the cap goes bad, the scanner will lose memory shortly after the scanner loses power. Try programming your local NOAA weather frequency. I see that your scanner has a LOCK button. Double check that the keypad is not locked. You may need to press and hold the LOCK button for a period of time or press it while turning on the scanner to turn it on and off.

Last edited:

toploader

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Tried everything, including the lock suggestions. Nothing works. All keys are non-responsive. There's only one thing left to do... I'm going in... With my hammer. Wish me luck!

Reactions: wtp

wtp

on a similar note.
my son dropped off a friend's computer. it would not do much of anything.
first thing was a good blowing out with a shop vac. (never vacuum the insides)
then i disconnected and reconnected every connection repeatedly.
he came back later and was amazed it was working and in the middle of updating.
i call it the lawn mower fix as i did something like that years earlier.
took it apart and just put it back together as my son watched.
what he did not notice was a spring under a flap was out of place and i just moved it.
that was also when i stopped banging it to clear gummed up grass under it.
so take it apart and break what could be just a little corrosion. you never know.

Last edited:

toploader

on a similar note.
my son dropped off a friend's computer. it would not do much of anything.
first thing was a good blowing out with a shop vac. (never vacuum the insides)
then i disconnected and reconnected every connection repeatedly.
he came back later and was amazed it was working and in the middle of updating.
i call it the lawn mower fix as i did something like that years earlier.
took it apart and just put it back together as my son watched.
what he did not notice was a spring under a flap was out of place and i just moved it.
that was also when i stopped banging it to clear gummed up grass under it.
so take it apart and break what could be just a little corrosion. you never know.

Yes. This is what I'm in the process of trying. I'm at the - took it apart bit. The scanner is in bits. The rust / corrosion inside was / is terrible. I don't think it will work. But like you said, you just never know sometimes.

I'm going to leave it in bits to air until tomorrow, then put it back together.