BCD436HP/BCD536HP: I bought a non-working Uniden?

jonatan1474

I want to ask about the BCD436, I bought it on Ebay in an “open box” condition, the Close Call mode is turned on and all gangs from 0 to 6 are on, I press the radio to transmit and nothing happens on the BCD436, there is silence, at the same time there is a Uniden 125 standing next to it in Close Call mode, it instantly determines the signal, whether the BCD436 is not working or whether I’m doing something wrong.

In the Custom Search mode, I went through all ranges from 0 to 9, the squelch on 2 still finds nothing, the squelch on 1 stops and makes noise after a few steps, it doesn’t find anything carrying any signals from the walkie-talkie when I press transmission.

jonatan1474

I unscrewed the antenna on the scanner, in the next room they pressed the radios to transmit at different frequencies, on the Uniden 436 in the Close Call mode not a single column moves and finds nothing, at the same time the Uniden 125 standing next to it did the same in the Close Call mode instantly defines the signal.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
You bought the radio used, correct?

First thing to do would be to clear user data, and start from scratch.
If you want to keep what is currently on there, just ask and we can walk you through it.

Have you installed Sentinel?

merlin

A quick method to test funtionality is manually enter your local NWS channel frequency. Those are usually always transmitting and a good method for setting an antenna or general signal source.
Scanning all the ranges takes a long time, it also needs the right step, or it can pass over active transmissions.

Attachments

• NWR_channels.txt
    95 bytes · Views: 9

jonatan1474

I reset all the settings, it didn’t help: MENU-Settings-Restore Options-Clear User Data-Reset User Settings-Confirm delete-Yes.

jonatan1474

In Custom Search mode, press the CHAN/MOD button, enter the frequency 450.0000, press CHAN/MOD again. In the next room, a friend presses the radio to transmit at a frequency of 450.0000 Uniden does not pick up anything in the scanner; there is silence.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I reset all the settings, it didn’t help: MENU-Settings-Restore Options-Clear User Data-Reset User Settings-Confirm delete-Yes.
Does the weather service channel come up? If nothing heard there, then the scanner needs repair.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Well here are the COLD HARD FACTS
1 You bought a used scanner from an unknown source
2 Maybe Just Maybe you did not pay soo much for it that you can afford to pay $100 to have Uniden Repair it and not be over the cost of a new scanner.
3 I have bought several used Uniden Scanners but from a seller I know.

Ensnared

I would check on your state forum & see what is available in your area to program. What city or county are you listening from? Some of these people might even help you by examining the radio. You might need to send it to Uniden. It is worth the repair costs in most cases, IMHO.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I had the same exact problem with a 996. At the time, I had loaned it to a friend, and he said it stopped receiving.

I brought it home and, despite the fact I live in NYC area, where you never have to wait for an active channel, I received nothing.

I sent it back to Uniden. After a several month wait, I contacted them, and they (eventually) got back to me via email saying that they could not repair the radio, saying they could no longer get the part required.

They sent it back to me (one year after I sent it to them) and, being somewhat optimistic, thought maybe they found a "cure" for the problem during that year and they fixed it.

They didn't.

rcool101

Feed Provider
My 536 receive went completely dead 2 yrs ago. Sent it in and also mentioned the Function knob was jumpy.
Came back like new. Fixed knob and changed Fexstrip S701. Ribbon cable maybe?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I bought my first 536HP used several years ago. I couldn't get it to program at all and it turned out that the problem was a bad Micro SD card. With the x36HP scanners it usually turns out that problems like this are Micro SD card related. I'd buy a new card, program it, and see if that solves the problem.