Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Outdoor Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdoyle7723

Looking for simple options for an outdoor antenna for the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2. Does not need to reach that far, just a simple antenna nothing big or complex. Thoughts?

riccom

Premium Subscriber
Indoor antenna may be best, but what are you trying to get, and you in a apartment or a house?
What do you have setup right now?

simple options for an outdoor antenna for the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2.
I use a Discone on my chimney.

It has a wide frequency range.

Works great!

"Omnidirectional, vertically polarized and with gain similar to a dipole, it is exceptionally wideband, offering a frequency range ratio of up to approximately 10:1. The radiation pattern in the vertical plane is quite narrow, making its sensitivity highest in the direction of the horizon and rather less for signals coming from relatively close by. "

cdoyle7723

It will be in my out building. Metal barn. I just want to get a 5 to 10 mile range. I have no setup at this time. I plan to mount the antenna outside. Just ordered the radio.

twjr80

Feed Provider
Looking for simple options for an outdoor antenna for the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2. Does not need to reach that far, just a simple antenna nothing big or complex. Thoughts?

Discone antennas are wide band receive and do very good. I utilize two discones for scanner receiving. Since I currently don't own any SDS scanner, for my local P25 systems, I use a small 700/800 MHz yagi pointed to the nearest radio system tower for best P25 simulcast reception.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Height above obstructions is even more important. Get it out away from trees, power lines (stay FAR away from these), other homes, etc and that will increase your range considerably. And don't use cheap RG58U- as the frequency goes up, so does the loss when using a long length. RG6 or 9913 is better...Mike

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
When I was researching it sounded like the Scantenna would be great but they quie making it. Looks like there might be something similar here.

cdoyle7723

Thanks all for the advice. Just purchased the D130NJ Diamond Super Discone Antenna. Think that will work OK?

Last edited:

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
If the signals you are wanting to receive are strong and nearby that will work just fine.

I asked what specific frequencies you were wanting to monitor previously because if they are all within a small range you would probably get better results from a band specific antenna, or possibly even a yagi if they were all coming from the same direction. But since we still don't know the frequencies you are planning to monitor, we couldn't make a suggestion in that regard.

Now that you have an antenna ordered, you are going to need good quality coax with the correct ends. I suggest making careful measurements of exactly how much you will need and ordering a custom made cable in the proper length/s. Again, knowing the specific frequencies you want or will plan on monitoring will help in suggesting the type of coax to get.

You also need to make sure you waterproof any connections that will be outside, properly ground the antenna/mast, and I would also suggest some kind of surge protector such as a polyphaser.

cdoyle7723

If the signals you are wanting to receive are strong and nearby that will work just fine.

I asked what specific frequencies you were wanting to monitor previously because if they are all within a small range you would probably get better results from a band specific antenna, or possibly even a yagi if they were all coming from the same direction. But since we still don't know the frequencies you are planning to monitor, we couldn't make a suggestion in that regard.

Now that you have an antenna ordered, you are going to need good quality coax with the correct ends. I suggest making careful measurements of exactly how much you will need and ordering a custom made cable in the proper length/s. Again, knowing the specific frequencies you want or will plan on monitoring will help in suggesting the type of coax to get.

You also need to make sure you waterproof any connections that will be outside, properly ground the antenna/mast, and I would also suggest some kind of surge protector such as a polyphaser.
Sorry I'm new at this. If you go to radio reference and look up Kentucky, Jefferson Co. That should tell you the frequencies. I know there are some trunked bands here as well but I'm not sure what to answer on the exact frequencies. I'm just getting started so I know I'll make some mistakes.

cdoyle7723

Height above obstructions is even more important. Get it out away from trees, power lines (stay FAR away from these), other homes, etc and that will increase your range considerably. And don't use cheap RG58U- as the frequency goes up, so does the loss when using a long length. RG6 or 9913 is better...Mike
Thanks. I'll plan accordingly.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider

So it looks like everything is between 150-160 and 450-470, myself I probably would have went with a dual band vertical, but the discone will work just fine as well and will give you more receive options if things change.

How long is your coax run going to be?

cdoyle7723

25ft at the most. But I can shorten that run if needed. I purchased the cable from Scannermaster.com. Same place I purchased the radio. They are programming it for me along with the GPS adapter.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

So it looks like everything is between 150-160 and 450-470, myself I probably would have went with a dual band vertical, but the discone will work just fine as well and will give you more receive options if things change.

How long is your coax run going to be?
The Louisville Metro Safe system is an 800MHz trunked system. Unfortunately, the main Jefferson County site is simulcast. See the link to the map of sites here.

The main users of Uhf appears to be the hospitals, with some EMS dispatch also on Uhf. Three of the four EMS dispatch on Uhf are DMR. There a few school related channels on Uhf as well. There are also a number of EMS talkgroups on the trunked system, but they show to be encrypted.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
The Louisville Metro Safe system is an 800MHz trunked system. Unfortunately, the main Jefferson County site is simulcast. See the link to the map of sites here.

The main users of Uhf appears to be the hospitals, with some EMS dispatch also on Uhf. Three of the four EMS dispatch on Uhf are DMR. There a few school related channels on Uhf as well. There are also a number of EMS talkgroups on the trunked system, but they show to be encrypted.

Sorry, missed the 800MHz one.

Status
Not open for further replies.