Uniden Fire Tone Out Search Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I haven't used my Uniden Fire Tone Out Search feature much lately, but I am starting to get interested in this again. Anyway, a fire department near me gets toned out on:

Tone A Tone B

1153.4 746.8

Now, when I use the Fire Tone Out Search feature, it usually displays within a few hertz of the actual tones. For example, one time it may display as 1152.1 and 747.2, but the next time it might display as 1154.2 and 745.9. Now, since the standard tones are known and can be viewed at
http://www.midians.com/pdf/tone_signaling.pdf Motorola Quick Call 2 - Pager Codes
I am just wondering if Uniden has ever discussed changing the Tone Out Search feature so that it displays the standard tones? Also, do any of the after market programs display the standard tones or do all of them display the tones that they actual decode? I know even with PL tones when I have used tone decode programs, the tone displayed can vary a little bit, unless the program displays the standard tones. For example, 100.0 hZ may display as 100.9 hZ.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The equipment generating the tone may have been on frequency when it was new, but some of the tone generators have been around for a long time and also may have distortion from the tone generator or power supply, so the Fire Tone Out feature has a tolerance to allow for the variance in the tone frequency heard.
As long as the squelch opens when the tone is present the FTO feature is working.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for the reply. It looks like it is more of an issue of how Uniden decodes these. For example, a few minutes ago my fire department was toned out. I happened to have both he BCD396XT and BCD996XT in the Fire Tone Out Search mode and here are the results:

A : 979.5Hz / B : 974.0Hz From BCD396XT

A : 981.3Hz / B : 972.8Hz From BCD996XT

A : 979.9Hz / B : 979.9Hz EIA Standard

It looks like they can be several hertz off the actual standard tonmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.