Uniden GPS usage - any tips or best practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You can also test by unplugging the GPS from the scanner (but keep the GPS powered). Put in a zip code for another state (I use 10019 or 90210). Wait for the out-of-state data to load. Then plug the GPS back into the scanner. The scanner will quickly reload your state data and begin scanning local stuff.

I tried this, myself. It works. But I didn’t unplug it from the radio, due to how it’s installed in my car. I simply disconnected the power. It worked just the same. I’m in Los Angeles, but I chose a zip code for Chicago. As soon as I plugged the GPS power back in, it instantly reset the programming.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is it necessary to set Location Control “on” for EACH channel in your FL? Or is there a way to do a “group” set by highlighting the list and just clicking once?

Location Control On/Off applies to the entire Favorites List. This is no way to set Location Control for parts of a Favorites List to On or Off.

rwier

" ... 2. It seems favorites lists are of little value in "GPS mode". Is it best to simply turn on the entire database and use service types to limit what I hear?... "

I don't travel much now, but I had my HP-1 for a couple of good travel years. I live in Phoenix, AZ. While waiting about three days for delivery of the scanner, I downloaded the Sentinel Software and constructed FLs for my home base area and also for some familiar travel routes.

I named the "travel" FLs for the Interstates involved: Phoenix-LA = "I-10", Phoenix-San Diego = "i-10/I-8", San Diego to Las Vegas = "I-15", and Las Vegas to Phoenix = "I-515/ I-93/ I-60".

Using Google maps for place names (towns, cities, airports, Counties, etc., I soon could make a State crossing FL in about an hour. I pretended to live at every point along the route and I would "append" to the FL those entities (and ONLY those entities) that I would actually listen to if I really did live at any given location along the route.

With the GPS in operation, I could travel from Phoenix to San Diego,then to LA, then to LV, and then back home to Phoenix, while scanning EXACTLY what I would be scanning if I lived at the location of my moving vehicle. The TGs and Channels come and go without the need to touch the radio. It was actually quite mind-boggling to experience the effect.

As to the "Entire DB"? I, personally, have never had a use for it, anywhere, anytime. In Sentinel, the FLs are constructed from the DB, but if the DB was not even in my scanners, I would have never known it.

KB6KGX

Banned
So, all you did was enter the stuff for the towns along the way, and the GPS just brings them in and out as you go? What should the settings look like? I take it that “Location Control” should be “On” for the FL, yes? Anything else, or is that it?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Favorites Lists of little value in GPS Mode" depends on a lot of variables. If you don't regularly get out of your local area (by this I mean something like a typical county), then yes.

If as a matter of routine you travel moderate distances, then yes it does. We visit relatives some 50 miles away on a regular basis. So the things I'm in range of hearing, I'd like to have on and stuff out of range off. But I don't want to use the full database because it would bring in things I don't wish to monitor. So for me, FLs on GPS work just fine - gives me exactly what I want.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
So, all you did was enter the stuff for the towns along the way, and the GPS just brings them in and out as you go? What should the settings look like? I take it that “Location Control” should be “On” for the FL, yes? Anything else, or is that it?

It really is that simple - just use Sentinel to build the Favorites List, appending data for towns along the way. Set Location Control to On for the Favorites List and enjoy your scanning experience.

Whatever needs to come on does so. Things out of range are turned off.

D

darunimal

With 68 systems monitored in one Favorite List, and a regular 150 mile trip with 2 distinct ways to travel, the GPS enables the 14 or so Systems that are around/along the journey, the other 52 are for systems close by (relatively 200 miles in radius) and other occasional and rare travels. Works great I still have room for 32 systems and they could be used for additional unplanned locales before I go/ or while Im there using RRDB (think Miami, Toronto, San Diago, Boston). That leaves me with 99 Favorite List off all the time. I could never use the RRDB w GPS in my dense radio area it put in 28 different system in w a 0.0 range for me (wish it would take a minus range), maybe RRDB and GPS in Wyoming or West Texas but not on the East Coast or West Coast

rwier

I made a hpe file of my FL "Travel iI-10". It will upload into Sentinel for your perusal.

If you are familiar with the Phoenix Area, you will notice that this FL is horribly out of date. It is probably no good for Southern CA anymore either. I don't recall settings, just appending entity names via Sentinel.

rwier

I made a zipped hpe file out of my FL "Travel I-10". Unzip and load it into Sentinel for your perusal.

It is horribly out of date, and probably represents something that worked well about the time the HP-1s became available.

I don't recall settings, just appending entities via Sentinel.

Attachments

• TRAVEL I-10.zip
    13 KB · Views: 38

KB6KGX

Banned
I made a zipped hpe file out of my FL "Travel I-10". Unzip and load it into Sentinel for your perusal.

It is horribly out of date, and probably represents something that worked well about the time the HP-1s became available.

I don't recall settings, just appending entities via Sentinel.

I’ll take a look. Thanks. I understand that the contents may be out of date. But it’ll be good to look at for ideas as to how to set it up.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GPS Tip

At present, I have a GPS orgy going in my small Nissan Versa. I have: Passport Max 2 that utilizes GPS; Garmin; 436HP; Smart Phone attached via Bluetooth to radar detector; and GPS key finders. I suppose if anyone wanted to track me it would be rather easy.

Tip: I learned to keep the Uniden GPS puck away from my Garmin. They didn't get along too well.

phask

Premium Subscriber
At times - All of these- Max2, GPS puck for the scanner, Gamin Nuvi, Garmin 60 for various crap, 2 smartphones, Droid tablet with some mapping apps,Dashacm w/ GPS.

And still get lost !!!

At present, I have a GPS orgy going in my small Nissan Versa. I have: Passport Max 2 that utilizes GPS; Garmin; 436HP; Smart Phone attached via Bluetooth to radar detector; and GPS key finders. I suppose if anyone wanted to track me it would be rather easy.

Tip: I learned to keep the Uniden GPS puck away from my Garmin. They didn't get along too well.

stingray327

At times - All of these- Max2, GPS puck for the scanner, Gamin Nuvi, Garmin 60 for various crap, 2 smartphones, Droid tablet with some mapping apps,Dashacm w/ GPS.

And still get lost !!!

GPS is not 100% go by gut feeling.
This new technology is something else with constantly updating and learning new stuff ..at least trying to.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
A GPS on an HP436 dummy question...
(if anyone is still reading this thread)

What about quick keys when it comes to using a GPS with an HP436?
I have different agencies set up on favorite lists.
All enabled via select lists to monitor.
Do all of the corresponding FL quick keys also need to be on?

When I do so, it seems like the 436 scans everything, not just the local ones.

Note: range is set to 0 and the various departments are set up rectangle

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
GPS controls the Avoid status. If you've disabled something using Quick Keys it will not be scanned, regardless of whether you are in range or not.

So, yes, for GPS to fully control, the QK's need to be enabled (and the desired service types also need to be enabled).

Oh, and also, make sure that the FL is set to use Location Control.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

All FLs have location control on.
Service types, check.

So.... if using rectangle, (vs circle with a radius of X), should the 436 only scan a given dept when I'm actually inside the rectangle?

To test, I'm using set manual location, with the range set to 0 (in set your location). It still seems to scan everything. Is that because the simulcast site that carries most of the area depts is set to circle and I'm within THAT circle, even though I'm not within the depts. rectangle?

Make sense?

Maybe discuss how dept location and site location interplay, or supercede?

Most, if not all of my depts. are set up rectangle.
The sites themselves I left using circle and the RR coordinates.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Addin the range of the site/etc.

Thanks.

All FLs have location control on.
Service types, check.

So.... if using rectangle, (vs circle with a radius of X), should the 436 only scan a given dept when I'm actually inside the rectangle?

To test, I'm using set manual location, with the range set to 0 (in set your location). It still seems to scan everything. Is that because the simulcast site that carries most of the area depts is set to circle and I'm within THAT circle, even though I'm not within the depts. rectangle?

Make sense?

Maybe discuss how dept location and site location interplay, or supercede?

Most, if not all of my depts. are set up rectangle.
The sites themselves I left using circle and the RR coordinates.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are within range of a site it will scan. If possible, rectanglize the site such that it just encompasses all departments serviced by the site.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Here in the Seattle area, we have "Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS)"
Basically, every area agency is on it, (Sheriff and all local PD).
The nearest local simulcast site is just a few miles of here.
Probably the reason why my testing isn't giving me the intended result....?

I was hoping to be able to drive around the metro area and have the 436 switch depts. as I go.
(The reason I went through all the work of 'rectangleing' everything)
I see this is probably not realistic.

Sounds like the 436/GPS combo is more for longer distance travels?

Status
Not open for further replies.