Uniden Repair Service

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I would like to take a few moments to comment on the Uniden Repair Service. I sent a 396xt in for some wear and tear issues. I included my check. Packed the scanner tight and safe. The scanner made it from Missouri to Texas in 2 days via UPS.

After a week or two I wanted to check the status of my repair. I must note, in the past I have received emails advising me of receipt of the scanner and then a basic email at some point that the scanner was with a technician. When I sent my info to the repair status page it states the repair is "closed" and it has been shipped via FedEx and posted a tracking number.

First I would like to give thanks to Uniden for such a quick turn around. Better than I could imagine. Second I want to mention that at no time did I ever receive notice that the scanner was with a tech and that it had been repaired (assumption there) and packed for travel back to Missouri. So Uniden's communication seems to be seriously lacking.

It took 18hrs to make it from Flower Mound, TX to St. Louis (area) MO. It arrived very early on April5. While tracking my scanner it bounced between three cities in roughly a 20 mile radius. Sometimes sitting for over 24hrs with no movement. During this timeframe I received an email from FedEx on the day they received it in the St Louis area (April 5) that my package would be delivered to my house by the end of the day on April 6. Great! !

It is now April 9 and still no scanner. I checked with FedEx on line help computer and computer voice and it told me my "economy" package was still enroute. I rechecked their tracking info with the number provided and the scanner was still sitting in one of the three cities locally.

I know that the way FedEx does business is not Uniden's fault. No problem there. I will 100% question Uniden's choice of using economy shipping after having such a good turn around. I remember accidentally shipping a package to Germany via a "cheaper" route/cost and instead of about ten to fourteen days it took almost six weeks. Uniden could have made this a great review by using a quicker shipment route. But.......I still don't have the scanner at my front door. They may have shipped my very used scanner back to me without fixing it. We will see. When I finally receive it. Thanks for listening.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Hi There,

Just a couple of thoughts.

It's been 2-3 years since I dealt with Uniden repair (Warranty repair on a minor display issue). When I did, I had zero issues. I know, bully for me, right?

You say you don't fault Uniden for FedEx's way of doing business. But you do fault them for shipping Economy class. Did you not have any option to send it more expeditiously? Usually, the shipper will ship however you want - if you want to pay the difference. Be thankful they didn't send it USPS media rate or something. Hopefully, it's trackable and you'll get your radio soon!

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Ha. I get ya. Yes, Uniden I am sure is trying to save a buck. And no, I was not given the chance to pick my mode of transportation for the scanner. At least from TX to MO. The price of repair includes S&H back to me. It doesn't specify who and how quick.

Late this evening it arrived by FedEx and everything seems to be good.

Of interest. The box that Uniden used was sealed with "pilfer proof tape". I always hate when my stuff has been pilfered through.

Bob1955

I would like to take a few moments to comment on the Uniden Repair Service. I sent a 396xt in for some wear and tear issues. I included my check. Packed the scanner tight and safe. The scanner made it from Missouri to Texas in 2 days via UPS.

After a week or two I wanted to check the status of my repair. I must note, in the past I have received emails advising me of receipt of the scanner and then a basic email at some point that the scanner was with a technician. When I sent my info to the repair status page it states the repair is "closed" and it has been shipped via FedEx and posted a tracking number.

First I would like to give thanks to Uniden for such a quick turn around. Better than I could imagine. Second I want to mention that at no time did I ever receive notice that the scanner was with a tech and that it had been repaired (assumption there) and packed for travel back to Missouri. So Uniden's communication seems to be seriously lacking.

It took 18hrs to make it from Flower Mound, TX to St. Louis (area) MO. It arrived very early on April5. While tracking my scanner it bounced between three cities in roughly a 20 mile radius. Sometimes sitting for over 24hrs with no movement. During this timeframe I received an email from FedEx on the day they received it in the St Louis area (April 5) that my package would be delivered to my house by the end of the day on April 6. Great! !

It is now April 9 and still no scanner. I checked with FedEx on line help computer and computer voice and it told me my "economy" package was still enroute. I rechecked their tracking info with the number provided and the scanner was still sitting in one of the three cities locally.

I know that the way FedEx does business is not Uniden's fault. No problem there. I will 100% question Uniden's choice of using economy shipping after having such a good turn around. I remember accidentally shipping a package to Germany via a "cheaper" route/cost and instead of about ten to fourteen days it took almost six weeks. Uniden could have made this a great review by using a quicker shipment route. But.......I still don't have the scanner at my front door. They may have shipped my very used scanner back to me without fixing it. We will see. When I finally receive it. Thanks for listening.
Uniden Service Center needs to be completely OVER-Hauled as they are short-handed and will NEVER fix anything right. When you call them up, it is like the girls/guys are reading off a script. It's so sad.
The late Paul Opitz would NEVER tolerate this.
Joe Bearcat-pay attention and DO YOUR JOB or QUIT!!!
With the profit margin this manufacturer makes, zero excuses!

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I would like to restate that the actual job done by Uniden, in my case, was good. It was the lack of a smooth and quick transport back to me by FedEx that I was upset with. If it was the cheapest transport chosen by Uniden or if it was poor execution on FedEx it has been frustrating watching my package sit for many days.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Bob Joe Bearcat is not UPMan he does not even hold the same Position that UPMan held. He does not own Uniden and is told what he can and cannot say or do. I am sure you did and said what your Boss told you to do or say.

Bob1955

Bob Joe Bearcat is not UPMan he does not even hold the same Position that UPMan held. He does not own Uniden and is told what he can and cannot say or do. I am sure you did and said what your Boss told you to do or say.
buddrousa- #1, I don't have a boss (self-employed) (Semi-Retired) (News Media-Volunteer) and I happen like the threads on what you have to write.
I also understand that the late UpMan had held a different position then Joe Bearcat does BUT Joe Bearcat is our only liaison between us (Radioreference.com) and Uniden. And UpMan DID'T own Uniden for that matter. If I'm not mistaking, he was Sr. VP Product Designer for the Bearcat line of scanners, correct?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes I think you are correct but I still think you are limited in your self-employed job as to what you can and can not say. Correct?
It was also posted by Joe that he is very limited to what he can say and do. He also stated that he can list things and give the list to Uniden and they decide what gets done. UPMan was also in the design side of the Uniden Market. Many here never got to know UPMan and we will never have another UPMan. What others need to see here is that Joe is just a middleman from us to Management at Uniden. The choice of shipper for Uniden is most likely a contract deal and over the last 2 years FEDEX has gotten worse. I live 100 miles from Memphis in Tn one of my packages went from Texas to Memphis to Jackson Ms to Nashville to Memphis to Me. FEDEX EXPRESS seems to be PRIVATE CONTRACTORS in unmarked vans in plain clothes delivering packages to addresses.

Last edited:

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
FedEx can be good or absolutely terrible. Some routes are owned by individuals, some routes are subcontracted from those individuals and the service is very inconsistent. Next day and 2nd day is usually pretty good.

A few years ago my SDS 200 was replaced (thanks to Joe Bearcat) after they were unable to repair it. This was its second trip for audio issues.

It just showed up one afternoon with no notification. Same sealed package as the OP. I have a FedEx account now so anything shipped to my address is visible as soon as the label is printed.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
I sent a BCD536HP to Uniden. They received it on May 1. The repair page says repair is in progress and estimated shipping date to me is May 19. That has come and gone. I talked to someone at Uniden who gave me another case number and says that have escalated my case. The repair page stills says. May 19. Has anybody else had this issue?

cwaz

Premium Subscriber
The USB port went out on my SDS100. I sent it to Uniden in early May via UPS. It got there in two days. Uniden had it for 5 days and I received it 3 days later. The scanner works like new. 5 stars to Uniden repair. Cost was $50 to send by UPS and $95 for Uniden to fix and ship back. Very reasonable.

HiddenLefty

I sent a BCD536HP to Uniden. They received it on May 1. The repair page says repair is in progress and estimated shipping date to me is May 19. That has come and gone. I talked to someone at Uniden who gave me another case number and says that have escalated my case. The repair page stills says. May 19. Has anybody else had this issue?

Don't know about yours but that page gets stuck I think if something happened outside status quo, like my unit was unrepairable but I had to call to know that or anything further about moving forward, and a supervisor took over my case right then to reach a resolution as the agent didn't have all the information but they did. I'd suggest asking for one if you didn't yet as that is the logical progress up the chain. Could be as simple as a part delay but you haven't spoken to someone who can say is all.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
I called Uniden again today. They said the repair has been completed and should return to me soon. I think you were right about waiting on a part. Wonder why they wouldn't just tell me that.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully Unidens choice od delivery company will be better than than the one they used for my repair. 18hrs from their repair facility to the city that I live in....then....it sat at three different delivery facilities locally over a period of 4 days before it finally arrived at my door on the fifth. Good luck.

avaloncourt

I had an Ethernet port failure on a SDS200. I sent it in for servicing. I heard nothing from them. I called several times with no answer. When I did get them on the phone twice weeks after they received it I was told nothing had been done with it yet. Eventually, they did process it into the repair queue and it was completed. From the day sent to the day received back was almost exactly two months. I had asked them on the phone if they give email updates and I was told their email doesn't work.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
After 6 years problem-free on my SDS100, the scanner went deaf one morning. I tried replacing SD card, reformatted without any luck.

Boxed it up on Monday, June 5th, took it to Fed Ex store, paid for 2 day shipping and off it went. Received updated through the phone app, and arrived Wednesday afternoon June 7th at Uniden Repair and was signed for.

On Thursday morning, June 13th, I received a notification from my bank of a charge of $94.95 from Uniden Repair as expected. I figured "here we go, she's in surgery!" That same afternoon, I received a Fed Ex update through my phone app that a label was created and to expect delivery today June 15th.

Delivered this morning by Fed Ex, per the repair slip the "logic board was replaced", checked to make sure I had audio, DMR/MotoTRBO and NXDN upgrades were still installed, and working properly which it was. I also added to check the cold solder joint for "any necessary repairs" to cover myself and assume if the logic board was replaced, the guts were ripped out and replaced.

Overall a very good turnaround, and having the Fed Ex app is always a benefit to following a package no matter who it's from and I also have UPS and USPS.

The SD100 was one of the "originals" in 2018 and was in the 800+ manufactured range. The scanner has always been cased, and is well taken care of. Well done Uniden Repair!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
After 6 years problem-free on my SDS100, the scanner went deaf one morning. I tried replacing SD card, reformatted without any luck.

Boxed it up on Monday, June 5th, took it to Fed Ex store, paid for 2 day shipping and off it went. Received updated through the phone app, and arrived Wednesday afternoon June 7th at Uniden Repair and was signed for.
Correction...sent on June 3rd, arrived at Uniden on Wednesday June 5th.