Uniden Scanners Sale Pricing Until 01-31-2024

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Wouldn’t surprise me if uniden told the resellers to jack up the prices so these new scanners coming out will get purchased.

maybe but how many people need or want the 160 or 226? uniden should think of a person's needs i live on an island with conventional scanning, some need P1 which could be a P1 or P2 trunking scanner, if P1 buy a whistler if a P2 buy a Uniden.

on a side note seems the trx-2 by Whistler is sold out currently on Amazon by sold and shipped.

then you have to weigh what features you need like nxdn or provoice or the other to your needs.

again I think prices will go down when Uniden sees the new sales numbers on the new scanners realizing many people don't need or want it.

I will also go out on a limb here and say the SDS 100 is also sold out from sold and shipped by Amazon, and is the only scanner to handle simulcasting abilities so many need that scanner over the others they raised the price on.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I will also go out on a limb here and say the SDS 100 is also sold out from sold and shipped by Amazon, and is the only scanner to handle simulcasting abilities so many need that scanner over the others they raised the price on.

Are you going to question if Uniden is getting out of the scanner business, like you did with Whistler, because the scanner is sold out? Supply/Demand/availability of chips and parts continue to cause shortages and price increases for many items (especially electronics), not just scanners.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
again I think the main thing my brother is complaining about is the age or when they started using the scanners by the age it has been done, new tech should drive the other tech like the older scanners down in price, I think that is what he thinks, I could care less as I will give my money freely to whatever I want to get.

but since simulcast isn't a problem currently where I am at I will just say I do think the current prices for some of the p2 trunking scanners are way higher than they used to be for the age they were made or developed

There's no other scanner that can deal with simulcast, so there's no competition to drive down Uniden's pricing. You can use an SDR or a Unication, but neither of those are a standalone scanner with a database.
What belvdr said...

At the end of the day, Uniden is a business and their main concern is their bottom line. They don't take into account where you live or what you "need". Apple only releases phones every year because their competition does the same. Right now, with no real competition in the scanner market, Uniden has no reason to replace models that work just fine.

1. The SDS scanners are the only commercial scanners that handle simulcast. They can (and do) charge as much as they want for them.

2. Every scanner in the BCD lineup still works as good as the day it was released. They have no need to release new models... what would they add... simulcast... color screens? There is a scanner for that already (See number 1).

Uniden believes that there is a market for the new DN scanners... to give the market DMR/NXDN at a slightly lower price than current prices anyway. (no upgrades, no trunking, and no P25 needed ;) ) I am looking at the 160DN myself.

I think, in order for us to see upgrades to any of the older scanners (SDS line included) there would need to be some new innovation or new feature that Uniden can bring to market. Maybe, at the very least, refinements to the SDS line that make them more power efficient and give you access to more SDR features or adding more digital modes would be worthwhile upgrades. I am sure everyone has their own lists.

Since there is no one else innovating in the space, Uniden is in the driver's seat.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
2. Every scanner in the BCD lineup still works as good as the day it was released. They have no need to release new models... what would they add... simulcast... color screens? There is a scanner for that already (See number 1).
In the case of the 325P2, the biggest and most welcome upgrade would be a 3rd battery so the thing lasts more than 4 hours before dying. Changing backlight colors again would be nice too...just make it a 396xt that can cover DMR,NXDN and P2 and it'll be perfect IMO.

But since Whistler seems content on rehashing 15 year old GRE scanners I'm sure Uniden has little interest in developing a completely new scanner that is already covered by the 325P2 and have no other competitors

bearcatrp

In the case of the 325P2, the biggest and most welcome upgrade would be a 3rd battery so the thing lasts more than 4 hours before dying. Changing backlight colors again would be nice too...just make it a 396xt that can cover DMR,NXDN and P2 and it'll be perfect IMO.

But since Whistler seems content on rehashing 15 year old GRE scanners I'm sure Uniden has little interest in developing a completely new scanner that is already covered by the 325P2 and have no other competitors
Looking at the new handheld, looks like Uniden used the same shell as the 325P2. To ad a 3rd battery would mean redoing the shell. Doubt it will happen. I bought 2 external usb battery packs to take care of long scanning times. Works great.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Looking at the new handheld, looks like Uniden used the same shell as the 325P2. To ad a 3rd battery would mean redoing the shell. Doubt it will happen. I bought 2 external usb battery packs to take care of long scanning times. Works great.

Amen... An almost perfect scanner as far as size and functionality.

The 2 things that would make the 325P2 a perfect scanner... IMHO:
1. More battery. Make the case a bit bigger... just keep the general shape and design.
2. Backlit keypad... I am always fumbling in the dark with the keypad.

Nice to haves:
1. Simulcast reception (Obviously a pipe dream with the current size and battery constraints)
2. Screen backlight color choices

Ultimately, give me an SDS100 closer in size to the 325 with plenty of battery... minus the fancy color SDS screen. Maybe some screen size in between the SDS100 and 325.