Uniden trade-up time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuLabsWuTecH

I have had my eye on a 396xt for a little while now and was originally going to get one during the christmas/black friday deals, but I decided to hold off since I don't really NEED it yet. I was wondering what people's predictions are as far as pricing for these when the new 436HP comes out. Will there be a mass exodus of people trading up and therefore a flood of some of these on eBay to be found at some decent prices? (right now, the use prices are very close to the new prices). And does anyone think Uniden will mess with the pricing scheme at all or will this be a new "level" above the current scanners?

N8IAA

$499 for the 436. $599 for the 536.
Since you want to go for a digital, maybe ask in your state forum for what will work the best for you.
Do the research. It pays to know what you need.
Larry

WuLabsWuTecH

$499 for the 436. $599 for the 536.
Since you want to go for a digital, maybe ask in your state forum for what will work the best for you.
Do the research. It pays to know what you need.
Larry

I know that I just need any old digital scanner. But the "oldest" model i can go back to is the 946xt since I also need fire tone-outs. But I was wondering if people think there will be a significant drop in used 946xt's like how other things often drop when a new version comes out, or whether the 436 won't be considered a replacement for the 946 but rather a new line of products?

wise871

Database Admin
I don't see the price of the 996XT dropping to much in price. They are still considered high end programmable scanners. If you check the classified section you may come across a Uniden 996T Digital Scanner. It may be lacking the fancy color LED and few other XT luxuries but it's still a solid workhorse. It also does tone-outs. I happen to list one today in mint shape at a very far price.

Uniden 996T

Last edited:

XTS3000

I don't see the price of the 996XT dropping to much in price. They are still considered high end programmable scanners. If you check the classified section you may come across a Uniden 996T Digital Scanner. It may be lacking the fancy color LED and few other XT luxuries but it's still a solid workhorse. It also does tone-outs. I happen to list one today in mint shape at a very far price.

Uniden 996T

I think some people are seeing the newly released CB's from Uniden, 880,980,787's which are complete garbage. They are so cheaply built and have such a high failure rate, people are getting skeptical of Uniden's quality and quality control on their new products.

After repairing so many recent Uniden CB's for such simple issues, I'm HIGHLY skeptical of the quality of their new scanners now. So skeptical, I'm not even ordering either the new portables or mobiles for my business until they can prove the quality.

Don't get me wrong, I like Uniden, but recent new products from them are not "up to par" vs. older products. I hope to be proven wrong, but I'll let the community this time "beta" test this new line of scanners. Will continue to sell the 996XT's and 396XT's to my customers.

WuLabsWuTecH

I think some people are seeing the newly released CB's from Uniden, 880,980,787's which are complete garbage. They are so cheaply built and have such a high failure rate, people are getting skeptical of Uniden's quality and quality control on their new products.

After repairing so many recent Uniden CB's for such simple issues, I'm HIGHLY skeptical of the quality of their new scanners now. So skeptical, I'm not even ordering either the new portables or mobiles for my business until they can prove the quality.

Don't get me wrong, I like Uniden, but recent new products from them are not "up to par" vs. older products. I hope to be proven wrong, but I'll let the community this time "beta" test this new line of scanners. Will continue to sell the 996XT's and 396XT's to my customers.

I was under the impression that the 396T's didn't do fire tone outs as compared to the 396 XT's. Is this not the case?

As to Uniden's quality, I don't have much of a choice. If I don't go with uniden, then I have to carry a minitor pager or else keep my walkie on the alert channel. And with as many walkies as we already have programmed for different things, I' prefer just to keep my main walkie and a scanner with me rather than having 3 walkies and a pager!!!

WuLabsWuTecH

Hmmmm... well a used 396XT seems to be going for about $300 right now, but I was hoping that once the new 436HD came out, the going rate would drop down to about $200-250. No such luck though eh?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm... well a used 396XT seems to be going for about $300 right now, but I was hoping that once the new 436HD came out, the going rate would drop down to about $200-250. No such luck though eh?
Technically, the 436 won't be out till around the end of this month, but I doubt the 396XT will drop into the $200 range (or slightly above that) except from a seller under pressure. Even the 396T's, the previous model, are still going in the low 200's in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.