Uniden--Wouldn't it be cool if....new feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
My 330T is on search all the time. I also have a few hundred channels I've identified already in various systems/groups programmed in already. For me it would be very cool that if while searching, the scanner stops on a frequency, I get some indication if that frequency is already in one of my systems. As it stands now the scanner will stop on 152.3000 and I don't recognize the freq. or voices, I run to the spreadsheet I have of my systems/groups/channels and quickly search to see if I have it. In most cases I do so it takes some effort to always be typing the frequency into Excel to search for it. It would be very cool if it would stop on a search and give me an indicator that I have that freq. saved already--perhaps displaying the Alpha tag or just an icon to say it is saved. I realize it would not be flawless given PL/DPL codes and multiple agencies on the same freq. To further expad on this I think it would be a neat feature that you can turn on the option to not search any freq. already saved in your systems. That way it would be a true search looking for things you don't already have saved. I think it would be neat to search knowing that when it stops on a freq. that you definitely do not already have that freq. saved.

Food for thought UPMan

Gilligan

Database Admin
I thought about this, too. At first, it seems like it would be too processer-expensive, to search through all the channels. But from what I remember about computer programming and sorting, a binary tree sort would be ideal and would ID the freq almost instantly with few processer cycles spent. Anyone else have a comment on this kind of sorting algorithm used in a scanner?

In addition, if the freq is stored in a system, have the scanner quickly change the search mode to Motorola, EDACS, LTR, or whatever type of system it is in. Then it would also display the talkgroup that is active, and you could search for the text tag of the talkgroup by the same sort method.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
As a binary search the frequency HAS to be the ID or key to the data file for systems/groups/channels. It should be easy. I'd even be willing to have a slower search for it to do this. I'm sure it would be something you can turn on or off also.

Do any scanners od this already?

Last edited:

avalys

Gilligan said:
I thought about this, too. At first, it seems like it would be too processer-expensive, to search through all the channels. But from what I remember about computer programming and sorting, a binary tree sort would be ideal and would ID the freq almost instantly with few processer cycles spent. Anyone else have a comment on this kind of sorting algorithm used in a scanner?

In addition, if the freq is stored in a system, have the scanner quickly change the search mode to Motorola, EDACS, LTR, or whatever type of system it is in. Then it would also display the talkgroup that is active, and you could search for the text tag of the talkgroup by the same sort method.
A simple search for a frequency would run in linear time, meaning the time required to find the frequency would be directly proportional to the number of frequencies in the scanner. It would be quick with an almost-empty scanner, but possibly rather slow once you have lots of frequencies programmed. I say possibly because the scanner's processor might be fast enough for you to not notice the difference.

The best way to perform a search would be a hash table, which would provide constant-time lookups, meaning the amount of time to find a frequency would not depend on the number of frequencies stored. However, that requires additional storage to hold the table (in addition to the frequencies themselves), which most scanners don't seem to have much of (no idea why, since flash memory is so cheap).

A binary search would provide only logarithmic-time lookup, meaning the search time would be proportional to the base-2 logarithm of the number of frequencies stored. However, a binary search would also require extra storage, unless the frequencies are already stored in an ordered list or binary search tree (which is doubtful).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well in the 800MHz band custom search with control channel only, the 330 and 396 will display the system "alpha tag" for known Motorola systems. I suspect with more dynamic memory, add on memory (I.e. transflash/MicroSD), and a faster processor, you could download Radioreference database information and have it displayed for conventional and trunked systems during search, but it would need to be tied to your System/Groups that you have identified and alpha-tagged for your location, or the information would be incorrect.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the most memory economical solution would be just an option to add stored frequencies temporarily to the lockout. With that option on searches would not stop on any frequency already in the database. Ultimately that's what I'd like in a search anyway. I think in trhe long run having a search stop and display the alpha tag of anything already saved would be useful, but I'd probably just hit search to move beyond a saved frequency anyway. For thos of us that search a LOT, this saved frequency lockout would be very useful...that way the scanner is quiet unless it finds something "new"...which is what I really want.

PhilJSmith67

I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't even mind if, for performance reasons, the scanner waited until I pressed HOLD before performing a memory search. At least then, if I hear something interesting during a search, I could find out if it's an existing "known" frequency or if I should store it.

In addition to this (completely separate topic), I would prefer the AM/FM/NFM indicator to be replaced with the frequency in scan mode, alternating with the CTCSS/DCS code if present. The AM/FM/NFM indicator could be reduced to one letter (A/F/N) or removed.

Bill2k

Heres an idea.... Get 2 scanners, One of them for finding new frequencies, one for listening to known frequencies. After your scanner finds a new frequency, lock it out of your "search" scanner and put it in your "found" scanner. This way when you get a hit on your "search" scanner, you know its a new freq. or group.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Except that I have 875 "found" frequencies and even the best scanners only have about 200 lockouts available.

STiMULi

USB Memory interface (Plus other goodies)

I would like to see a scanner come with a USB interface for having the scanner pull from that resource to load new configurations without the need for a computer.

That same interface could be used to store recorded audio intercepts with file names that indicate the intercept. There are some big USB memory drives out there now for just a few bucks.

Maybe that same USB interface could be used for a "Uniden Bluetooth USB" device for wireless headset monitoring/or networking.

"If you build it they will come" :)

Last edited:

PhilJSmith67

Bill2k said:
Heres an idea.... Get 2 scanners, One of them for finding new frequencies, one for listening to known frequencies. After your scanner finds a new frequency, lock it out of your "search" scanner and put it in your "found" scanner. This way when you get a hit on your "search" scanner, you know its a new freq. or group.

When I am at home and don't have an issue with lugging around a second scanner, using two scanners the way you mentioned works well, especially if you still want to stay tuned to local/priority channels.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I do use two scanners for the same sorts of things (priority stuff, additional searching...) but unfortunately I have too many found channels to be able to lock them all out on a 2nd scanner.

PhilJSmith67

I agree (on the too many channels thing). Perhaps software that can do coordinated scanning with two scanners would be useful!

STiMULi

PhilJSmith67 said:
I agree (on the too many channels thing). Perhaps software that can do coordinated scanning with two scanners would be useful!

With the control codes (like listed on the linked page below) a couple of scanners to match those codes and some good software I'd bet you could scan just about anything you want to including ProVoice (discriminator tap mod may be required).

http://www.uniden.com/index/downloads.cfm?product=BCD996T

Hint Hint! (any smart radio freak programmers reading this? :))

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
What a great microcode update for the BR330T. Saved frequency lockout. OFF and everything searches normally. ON and searches lockout any frequency saved in your various systems.

UPMan??

Status
Not open for further replies.