"Universal" charger compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuLEoF2

Newbie
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Baltimore MD
Hi,

I have one of those "universal" cell phone wall chargers with a compatible mini-USB connector but I didn't want to use it without making sure it was electrically compatible.

The output rating on the charger is +5v at 0.65A.

If I'm ok, great. If not, is there a wall charger that someone can recommend?


Thanks.
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
3,110
Reaction score
2,392
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
Hi,

I have one of those "universal" cell phone wall chargers with a compatible mini-USB connector but I didn't want to use it without making sure it was electrically compatible.

The output rating on the charger is +5v at 0.65A.

If I'm ok, great. If not, is there a wall charger that someone can recommend?


Thanks.

RuLEoF2,

I think I know what you are intending to charge from your other post but just to be sure, could you please clarify exactly what you want to do with the cell phone charger? I'm not an expert on handheld scanners but if that is the case, I doubt it if they will be compatible. But to be sure, please provide a make and model of what you want to charge in this thread. Thanks!

73, Dave K4EET
 
Last edited:

buddrousa

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
14,994
Reaction score
10,865
Location
Retired 40 Year Firefighter NW Tenn
If you are wanting to charge a Uniden BCD436HP then I and several others here would tell you to get extra batteries and a high end charger.
#1 The scanner does not charge while it is turned on and working.
#2 Not a Uniden but we have seen other scanners damaged by charging (user error or over charging) not sure the cause.
I run 2 sets of 2500 mah batteries and my scanner works about 20 hours very busy system on the 2 sets of batteries.
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
Any USB charger will work (assuming it is operating correctly). USB is a standard 5V for all adapters.
 

RuLEoF2

Newbie
Joined
May 20, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Baltimore MD
RuLEoF2,

I think I know what you are intending to charge from your other post but just to be sure, could you please clarify exactly what you want to do with the cell phone charger? I'm not an expert on handheld scanners but if that is the case, I doubt it if they will be compatible. But to be sure, please provide a make and model of what you want to charge in this thread. Thanks!

73, Dave K4EET


Ah, yes. I suppose that would have been useful info wouldn't it. Sorry. I guess I got my threads crossed.

Yes. I intend to use the universal with my BCD436HP as an external power supply only. Not a charger.

I have a large supply of Energizer NiMh batteries from 2100 to 2500 mAh and several of their 15-minute chargers. I planned to only charge the batteries externally.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top