Unlocking a Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdoot

I got a Pro 96 on Ebay and can't get the darn thing unlocked. I turned it on and followed the directions by pressing program and holding down the key unlock symbol button and it beeps but does not unlock. It just beeps but not 3 times to unlock it like it says. Any ideas please???

DonS

If you're referring to the "key lock" feature...

Pressing FUNC then the Light key toggles the key lock on/off.

nicdoot

This is what I have been doing. Meant to say FUNC key not Pgm. It doesn't seem to work. Troubleshooting says to stick a pin into the hole on the side to reboot it so to speak. Do you think I should try this?

nicdoot

Oh I had never thought of that. It is a brand new scanner so maybe nothing is programmed. Maybe I better start reading my instruction book. I figured some things would be scanning. I pressed scan but it just keeps saying that it is locked. I figured it would at least scan even if nothing is programmed in.

KC0QNB

nope
Here is an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for new radio gear, take everything out of the box, make sure it is all there, go to another room without the device, take the manual, read, read, read.
It is simply amazing how well this system works, then when you have read enough, perhaps an hour or so, go back to the room the device is in, look at the manual and look at the device and see where anything is.
Then proceed with turning the device on and read, read, read, push the buttons and see what each one does, if the device beeps angrily at you, see what the screen says, consult manual again and find out what you need to do, to clear the angry beep.

I am sorry if this sounds absurd but since I have been on this forum, there has been many, many postings asking for help, even before the user takes the time to read the manual.

You will have to trust me on this one.

N8IAA

I am sorry if this sounds absurd but since I have been on this forum, there has been many, many postings asking for help, even before the user takes the time to read the manual.You will have to trust me on this one.

Amen.
Now, if you were to push the search button, I am sure that you might have heard something. Also, the V-scanner is loaded with multiple state trunked and conventional frequencies. Oh, wait, you had to read the manual to know that;))
Larry

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I bet that he is seeing "all channels locked out" - and this is probably because nothing is programmed into the radio :) Press the WX button and see if you start hearing the weather broadcasts, or at least if the radio starts scanning through those channels.

Check out some of the software available to program it, specifically:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Win96

I think that it has a trial period, which will at least get you up and running to begin with. But then you'll soon realize that you can't live without the software and you will have to buy it ;)

Have fun!

nicdoot

The "he" is a "she" and yes you are all right. I am being impatient and need to sit down and read, read, read. I guess I was trying to get help right away as my 7 days was almost up for returning it on ebay and wanted to make sure it wasn't a lemon and was just "operator error" hehehe

You are right search comes up with ham, weather, cb, etc. and weather does work so guess I just need to get with the programming. :)

Thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.