Unprogrammed TGID displays on scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epikos

I just got a Uniden BCD396XT yesterday for x-mas. It's completely new to me, as are scanners in general.
I got myself a premium RR subscription and freeSCAN and was able to download four systems into my scanner.

While I was loading them in, I removed silly things like "Parking Patrol" and a couple others.
Some things were removed just because for instance, the PDX Public Safety system has 66 groups in it, and apparently you can only load 20 groups per system.
On the scanner, if nothing else is going on and Parking Patrol transmits, it's received on the scanner and I can see the unprogrammed TGID on the display. Happens for any unprogrammed group of TGID's if I have that groups control channels programmed.

I would assume if I didn't program the TGID into the scanner that it should ignore it? Or put another way, how can I get the scanner to only listen to programmed talk groups?

I'm making my way through the wiki and the Uniden user guide for this thing but A: There's a TON of info and B: 90% of it is greek to me.

I am in Washington County Oregon and my radio model is Uniden BCD396xt.
Thanks!

Highpockets

I just got a Uniden BCD396XT yesterday for x-mas. It's completely new to me, as are scanners in general.
I got myself a premium RR subscription and freeSCAN and was able to download four systems into my scanner.

While I was loading them in, I removed silly things like "Parking Patrol" and a couple others.
Some things were removed just because for instance, the PDX Public Safety system has 66 groups in it, and apparently you can only load 20 groups per system.
On the scanner, if nothing else is going on and Parking Patrol transmits, it's received on the scanner and I can see the unprogrammed TGID on the display. Happens for any unprogrammed group of TGID's if I have that groups control channels programmed.

I would assume if I didn't program the TGID into the scanner that it should ignore it? Or put another way, how can I get the scanner to only listen to programmed talk groups?

I'm making my way through the wiki and the Uniden user guide for this thing but A: There's a TON of info and B: 90% of it is greek to me.

I am in Washington County Oregon and my radio model is Uniden BCD396xt.
Thanks!

In FreeScan on the Trunked System Setup Screen, you'll see ID Mode. There are two settings: What is yours set at?

ID Search
ID Scan

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you programmed in TG's and just want to hear them, change to ID Scan (FreeScan), and re-program. Or there is a way to do it using the Menu (Edit System Option), change to ID Scan for those systems.
While scanning the system, pressing the Function key (the top rubberized key on the left side; the bottom one is the Menu) and hitting Scan while the F is displayed on the screen (upper left corner of the display; this means the Function key sequence is active) will also toggle between ID Search and ID Scan. On the older 396T, just hitting the Scan while in the system would toggle between ID Search/ID Scan. That made it too easy to accidentally switch (at least for me).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You can store up to 20 'Groups' per 'System' with up to 1000 frequencies or 500 IDs in each 'Group'. You can have 1000 total channels per conventional system and up to 256 'Sites' if you have enough memory. You can have a maximum of 500 Systems, 1000 Sites, and 25,000 Channels. You shouldn't need to delete anything. I think you are confusing groups with talk groups IDs.

Take the time to read and understand the manual below and you will enjoy your scanner much more.

BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

epikos

OHI063, thanks! That "Easier to Read" manual is great! I was reading the BCD396XT_Complete_Reference.pdf which I think is the official manual and it was just "ok."

Status
Not open for further replies.