• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR Upgrading a 5550e to R2.10.10

jason78

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some guidance here if anyone can help. Ok so all this started from trying to activate a feature EID on my 5550e. My current version is R02.60.03. When trying to activate the RX Leveling EID, it tells me its not supported in the current codeplug version. So called Motorola and they added the R2.10.10 software package to my profile and I downloaded it. They told me this would have the features I need and I could use CPS16 to do the update and was as far as I could go without a subscription. I ran the installer for the firmware but when I try and update the radio, I get the error "No matching packages exist". So not really sure where to go from here. The Motorola tech said I could use CPS 16 so not sure if I'm in a situation where I need to do some step firmware upgrades or what. He said this is the earliest version they have available now is the problem if that's the case. Motorola has to have the strangest version numbering convention I've ever seen if R2.10.10 is newer than R02.60.03 but I guess CPS 2.0 is newer than CPS 16 so going backwards with versions seems to be the norm, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

K2NEC

Go to 2.09 and you will be able to use audio leveling. I strongly advise to avoid the headache of CPS2

jason78

Premium Subscriber
Go to 2.09 and you will be able to use audio leveling. I strongly advise to avoid the headache of CPS2
Thanks! Any idea where I can get 2.09 and do you know if I can go direct from R02.60.03 to 2.09? My challenge here seems to be the oldest I can get from Motorola is 2.10 and I need some older firmware to step from where I am to either 2.09 or 2.10

Firebuff880

@jason78

Yes, Motorola broke their abacus for a while and they numbered some releases strangely such as 2.60 when it was really 2.06. But it should be a series of releases, R02.04, R02.05, R02.06 , R02.07, R02.08, R02.09 then the fun starts, R02.10 (2019) is a game-changing release as that's where they laid the group work for the SUM ($$s to upgrade) Eid and rewrote the memory in the subscribers and Released the new CPS2. Then the new numbering starts with M2020 R02.20.01, M2021.01, M2022.01, M2023.1

You should be able to update from a major release forward, but there are a few that you need to do the immediate step first. Unlike many here I think the SUM fees and CPS2 to current are worth the effort for the newer features like Talker Alias, and GPS on PTT.

MOTOTRBO® System Release Notes
Professional Commercial Radios (PCR) & Accessories
Version: R02.04.00
November 2014

Professional Commercial Radios (PCR) & Accessories
Version: R2.10.10
Date: February 21, 2020

Professional Commercial Radios (PCR) & Systems
Version: M2023.01
July 24, 2023

jason78

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the help, I was able to obtain the proper R2.09 firmware and get the upgrade completed. Great group here.